RiverThames

S

Stewart Bloor

I was reading in the EA magazine that we have been discussing in another thread, that there are actually 116 species of fish in central London.
I've been along the Thames a few times when down in the capital, but I've never seen anyone fishing there. I'm thinking of the river by the House of Commons, Tower Bridge etc etc.
Out of curiosity - Has anyone ever fished there? Do clubs control the water? Is fishing allowed?

P

Paul Williams

Sedge,
I don't know about where you mention but i remeber reading that docklands is a good fishing area.....if you can afford the parking fees :eek:)

D

David Will

I recall a photo of Keith Arthur trotting on the Thames with the Palace of Westminster in the background. For advice Mac Macendoo at Acton Angling Centre is the guy to ask.
Fishing is free as it is tidal and below Teddington lock which is the defing mark of tidal or not.
Rather than fish right in the middle of London areas like Teddington and Isleworth can be excellent.Sadly this winter has made life very difficult.

P

Philip Inzani

This is from ages back but I think there was a club that controlled fishing right in the centre but I cannot remlevber the name (sorry)
I remeber seeing an article where they where bagging up on Dace down there...some real good ones back then, but I think its changed a bit now. I also think they caught the very odd trout belive it or not.
Paul I think is right about docklands, locations going to be a nighmare there but its a very interesting area that could (has?)thrown up a surprise or two.

D

David Will

You may like to enquire if The Francis Francis club is still up and running.This was (is) a punting group , famous member Bill Rushden.Where and with whom you will enquire i cannot assist with.
The Met Police river Police fish a lot of things out of the river , whether you would wish to pose with them is unlikely however.

P

Paul Williams

Sedge will pose with anything if it saves a blank!

R

Rob Brownfield

I have caught some BIG bags or Roach and Dace at Richmond, Carp and Perch in the east india docks and have seena match fished opposite Westminister that yeilded 1 roach...It is such a powerful river in Londons heart that I think the fish would really strugle to live perminantly there. There are many wee backwaters though that i am sure would hold sholas of Dace and Roach

P

Philip Inzani

Rob, I think alot depends on the tide down that way....get it at the wrong time and its devoid but hit it right and bingo.

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
seeing as you are a dab hand at fly making would you design and make one for Sedge to try for barbel? we could all have a go at naming it!! how about "Blankers glory" for a start!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Philip, you are correct. Usually an hour either side of low tide seems to be best

S

Stewart Bloor

''Ignore my last mail, it's for another thread!!''

Don't worry Brummie....we usually try and ignore all your mails....

S

Stewart Bloor

''Ignore my last mail, it's for another thread!!''

Don't worry Brummie....we usually try and ignore all your mails....

S

Stewart Bloor

Oops, for some reason the mail went through twice, not trying to make a point...well, no more than what I wrote....