Close Season / Open Season

souliedave

Reaction score
Firstly i'm sorry if people feel i'm being confrontational, i'm not, the main Rivers i fish are the Severn and Trent, don't fish rivers around Manchester or the Ribble etc.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Should get on the Goyt then Dave with all the others,if there's room. :)

Know what you mean about the Severn, it's been either flooded over 2-3 fields for weeks on end or freezing limiting ones chance if you don't live local. Superb waterway though.

souliedave

Reaction score
Thanks Judas, thought about the Goyt and the Mersey around sale/urmston area and i always fished the Dane around Middlewich, but i had 2 cars broken into, so gave it up as a bad job, and i like to keep my car in view now,

C

chefster

At the end of the day i dont know why people keep getting wound up about the close season,but dont actually do anything about it,if you dont want to fish stillwaters and lakes just take a break or all get together and lobby!!!......

MRWELL

Reaction score
Firstly having a pop at someone for asking a question is no way to go about things,it makes no difference how many times the subject has been done,if it is a new member or newish then he has a right to post what he sees has a valid point,for what it is worth i think the close season should be scraped but who cares it aint going to happen anyday soon so just get on with it i say.

souliedave

Reaction score
Thanks MRWELL, like i said it's a legit question, sorry if people don't like it, but we all have our own views on the subject, agree with you that it isn't gonna happen anytime soon, Cheers M8:w

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Dave, like I said to Maverick on another thread, keep posting keep asking questions and keep putting your views across, and don't listen to those who say this or that has been done to death.

Always makes me chuckle when those who post 'it's been done to death, it's not worth debating because ..........' then spend the next few days and many posts telling you constantly 'it's been done to death, it's not worth debating because .......'. Funny as hell.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dave, like I said to Maverick on another thread, keep posting keep asking questions and keep putting your views across, and don't listen to those who say this or that has been done to death.

Always makes me chuckle when those who post 'it's been done to death, it's not worth debating because ..........' then spend the next few days and many posts telling you constantly 'it's been done to death, it's not worth debating because .......'. Funny as hell.

Just as well we do otherwise the post would be dead in the water and nothing other than a back slapping exercise of wishful thinking:wh

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

People do change their views, at one time I was totally in favour of the traditional close season but my thoughts have now swung the other way.

As there are very few EA bailiffs on the bank who is there to monitor; pollution, fish thieves, poachers or predators? Not anglers that's for sure.

As the amount of river anglers has declined I think that any negative influence has also declined. The rivers and their banks still entertain; dog walkers, canoeists, boaters, cyclists, twitchers, hikers, etc.

A few anglers won't make much of detrimental difference on an environmental level but they could be beneficial by providing; early warning of pollution, deterring predators, reducing poaching and fish thefts.

I have been a member of several clubs that have had disastrous fish kills due to pollution incidents and it was anglers who raised the initial alarm every time.

It makes me wonder how many pollution incidents have gone unreported and undetected during the close season leaving the anglers fishing at the start of the season to wonder why the fishing is poorer than last year.

sam vimes

Reaction score

I don't care if people want to dance this particular tango yet again, have fun. I know we'll see it again before the new season opens and we'll see it again as the season comes to a close.

What I do question is the need for multiple threads, on precisely the same subject, running at the same time. When you get people saying "see my comment on the other thread", you know one of them is superfluous guff.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Very good post Mr Roberts

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Sam can see your point about multiple threads but you have the choice to respond or not.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam can see your point about multiple threads but you have the choice to respond or not.

Absolutely, but I'm responding to those that are trying to suggest that I've had a pop at anyone for the subject matter, I haven't. I'm not going to stop anyone talking about whatever they like. As I said, I do query the need for the replication of another closed season thread when there's a perfectly good one running already. The fact that people are referenceing it in this thread reinforces that query.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People do change their views, at one time I was totally in favour of the traditional close season but my thoughts have now swung the other way.

As there are very few EA bailiffs on the bank who is there to monitor; pollution, fish thieves, poachers or predators? Not anglers that's for sure.

As the amount of river anglers has declined I think that any negative influence has also declined. The rivers and their banks still entertain; dog walkers, canoeists, boaters, cyclists, twitchers, hikers, etc.

A few anglers won't make much of detrimental difference on an environmental level but they could be beneficial by providing; early warning of pollution, deterring predators, reducing poaching and fish thefts.

I have been a member of several clubs that have had disastrous fish kills due to pollution incidents and it was anglers who raised the initial alarm every time.

It makes me wonder how many pollution incidents have gone unreported and undetected during the close season leaving the anglers fishing at the start of the season to wonder why the fishing is poorer than last year.

But you your self said that the fish kills were disastrous so even though it was reported by anglers it made no difference so that part of the aurgument does not wash does it. As for anglers on the bank preventing poaching and the taking of fish most turn a blind eye to that as well the attitude is not my job leave it to the bailiffs. the amount of times I have had complaints from members saying so and so has been doing this or that or we think that there are poachers on the fishery while they sit there fishing away waiting for a bailiff to do something about it . So anglers on the bank does not wash either in mine and many other bailiffs opinion.

souliedave

Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments, this is the point i was trying to get across, I know my views are my views, and we all have our own views on this emotive subject, exactly why i posted it, i thought that was what a forum was about, Cheers Guys ;)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
But you your self said that the fish kills were disastrous so even though it was reported by anglers it made no difference so that part of the aurgument does not wash does it.

Oh yes it does. The Sussex Ouse was polluted and as the pollution was seen by anglers, it was then traced back to a leaking barrel of pesticide in a farmers yard. He or his insurance company were then successfully pursued for damages. If this had gone unseen then no one would have been any the wiser.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh yes it does. The Sussex Ouse was polluted and as the pollution was seen by anglers, it was then traced back to a leaking barrel of pesticide in a farmers yard. He or his insurance company were then successfully pursued for damages. If this had gone unseen then no one would have been any the wiser.

I thought you were saying they would have a preventative effect on the polution and polutions can be traced to source by the authorities and fish legal can they not the water above the souce being unaffected.