Spigot for rod repair??

johnbaz

Reaction score
Hi all

I had a li'l accident a while ago, tripped and fell on me rod holdall!!

I heard the loud crack and knew instinctively that it was going to be my favourite float rod :(

My Daiwa Whisker Kevlar that I bought twenty odd years ago (but was still like new!) has broken cleanly four inches beyond the first ring :eek:mg:

In the past i've repaired loads of rods by aralditing spigots inside then whipping over for the ultimate strength but this rod has such a gradual taper that all the old rods/poles etc that i've chopped lumps out of have to steep a taper..

Anyone know where I could match and buy a spigot (Does anyone even sell them??) or would I have to turn a very thin aluminium tube on my lathe to do the job??

BTW, I've kept looking on fleabay in case anyone was listing one but fruitless to date :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated (jeez I love this rod ;) )

Cheers, John :)

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Sounds like you know what you can and can't do with repairing rods, Just be patient and one might turn up on the bay.

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Would a carbon fibre rod work ...?

Carbon Fibre (Fiber) Rod - Easy Composites

May have to get the wet and dry paper out and spend some time on it but hopefully in the end with trial and error / patience it may sort it ?

May even be worth calling up Harrison's the rod maker to see if they can assist as they also manufacture all sorts of carbon fibre tubes.

Steve

johnbaz

Reaction score
Sounds like you know what you can and can't do with repairing rods, Just be patient and one might turn up on the bay.

Hi Ian
I live in hope that someone may have broken the tip section or the centre section and is put on fleabay (i'm always checking!)..

Have you been in touch with Daiwa? might help.

Hi Sumtime

I bought the rod in around 1989 so I wouldn't have thought they would be able to help :(

Would a carbon fibre rod work ...?

Carbon Fibre (Fiber) Rod - Easy Composites

May have to get the wet and dry paper out and spend some time on it but hopefully in the end with trial and error / patience it may sort it ?

May even be worth calling up Harrison's the rod maker to see if they can assist as they also manufacture all sorts of carbon fibre tubes.

Steve

Steve- that looks promising, i'll have a closer look, Cheers :cool:

Thanks everyone for the replies :thumbs:

John :)

mick b

Reaction score
If you own a lathe you obviously know what your doing so go for an ally tube, just ensure you have a wall thickness around 1/8" or so, it would weigh no more than a glass spigot.
IMO thin walled tube would be worse than useless.

aberarth

Reaction score
hello, dont forget that ally work hardens,could granulate and drop off.ive done a job like this with thick wall carbon fibre tube turned on the lathe to fit and glued in with jb weld two pack [dries black]and imo the best epoxy around,have fun,paul.