Pike getting off.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yeah Ive thought of switching to braid and some slightly weaker hooks just to make sure I can pull the hooks straight to get out of snags if I need to. I hadn't thought of the low stretch setting the hooks better. Braid lasts a few seasons as well doesn't it?

Braid will last for years mate as its unaffected by sunlight to put it crudely, but despite what you may hear it is no more abrasion resistant than mono. Just check for nicks if you have been fishing over gravel bars or around sunken timber other than that its bombproof in my opinion. You will certainly notice the difference with contact on the strike.

medway man

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to ditch the deadbait set up and get fishing with some lures...no issues with deciding when to strike and a lot more active and fun!

I always preferred deadbaiting to lure fishing although I do like lure fishing.

---------- Post added at 04:49 ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 ----------

Braid will last for years mate as its unaffected by sunlight to put it crudely, but despite what you may hear it is no more abrasion resistant than mono. Just check for nicks if you have been fishing over gravel bars or around sunken timber other than that its bombproof in my opinion. You will certainly notice the difference with contact on the strike.

Yeah Ill definitely try it. I used to lure fish with some stuff made out of Kevlar years ago and you could feel everything so much more than with mono.

rubio

Reaction score
I tend to use a single nowadays too. Always been very happy with hook up rate and hookhold during a fight. Just lately I dropped small jacks off at the bank unintentionally. Not sure why just happened. New hook and trace next time out and similar story. Again no obvious explanation why a tried and trusted system would fail so frequently. Could it be they have learned something to their advantage? I ask this because another fisherman turned up this weekend at 'my' stretch and lost 5 fish on lures before landing a small jack. Maybe it was same fish of course with special powers or a naturally awkward jaw that spurns hookpoints. Or.....
Are even Pike getting craftier?

medway man

Reaction score
I tend to use a single nowadays too. Always been very happy with hook up rate and hookhold during a fight. Just lately I dropped small jacks off at the bank unintentionally. Not sure why just happened. New hook and trace next time out and similar story. Again no obvious explanation why a tried and trusted system would fail so frequently. Could it be they have learned something to their advantage? I ask this because another fisherman turned up this weekend at 'my' stretch and lost 5 fish on lures before landing a small jack. Maybe it was same fish of course with special powers or a naturally awkward jaw that spurns hookpoints. Or.....
Are even Pike getting craftier?

Its weird I don't remember losing many at all years ago. Starting to wonder if they've got their own forceps.

What breaking strain braid do you all use? Im thinking about going heavy so I can pull out of snags easily so I don't leave hooks and bait in the water for pike to get hold of.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Its weird I don't remember losing many at all years ago. Starting to wonder if they've got their own forceps.

What breaking strain braid do you all use? Im thinking about going heavy so I can pull out of snags easily so I don't leave hooks and bait in the water for pike to get hold of.

I only lure fish but with large lures, the heaviest of those being in the four ounce bracket , and have been using Power Pro in fifty pound test now for many years and have experienced no problems at all. Maybe just the ticket for you,

medway man

Reaction score
I only lure fish but with large lures, the heaviest of those being in the four ounce bracket , and have been using Power Pro in fifty pound test now for many years and have experienced no problems at all. Maybe just the ticket for you,

Ok thanks ready to order. Just to check is this the stuff you use? I don't suppose line colour makes any difference o the pike? I notice it comes in a few colours.

Power Pro Braid Uk, Fishing Braid | North East Tackle Supplies

terry m

Reaction score
Power pro is great stuff especially for lure fishing, but if your slant truly is deadbaiting then have a look at Fox Gravitron, it is fast sinking and very dense. That makes bite detection - especially at this time of the year - even more sensitive.

The debate about spacing of trebles, versus position in deadbait are really dependant on speed of strike. But if your bottom treble (furthest from the rod) is more than 1/.2 way down the deadbait, and your strike is not instant, then you are gonna end up with problems sooner or later.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
If you have not used braid before then the two most important tips are:

when you load it onto your reel you need to load it under a hell of a lot more tension than mono - I tie it to the spool then cover in gaffer tape to help prevent it slipping - then wind on under as much tension as you dare. I it goes on slack then it will bed in and get tangled and it is horrible stuff to untangle.

Knots - some are better than others for braid and where on mono you may use a 4 turn knot, use 7 or 8 turns on braid.

john step

Reaction score
Interesting the bit about experimenting with singles. I have been doing a bit myself over the last few seasons.
I found that pike seem to be more interested in gulping down a a bait quickly at the Autumn end of the season and less so when the water is much colder.

At the Autumn end I tried a large single barbless at the tail end and found this quite satisfactory with hookups mainly in the scissors , and never badly down the track so to speak. Easy quick unhooking.

WHEN they were really having it and tending to try to swallow quickly usually with smaller baits I experimented with a "hair rig" arrangement( not my idea, but one read about).
I used that soft green garden string tied to the hook bend and the hair of only about 1 or 2 inches through the bait tail with a baiting needle.
This worked fine until later in the winters when water temps dropped.

I felt that later the pike would take a bait and just sit with it in the jaws for some time not moving off in the cold water.
This made for missed strikes, not wanting to delay to risk the danger of deep hooking ie not being able to tell exactly what was happening. If you see what I mean.

I then reverted back to the original double treble arrangement. Back to OK hookups.

What I think is that time of year/water temps play a part and I bear this in mind and adapt arrangements to suit.

Any on else found this?

B

binka

What I think is that time of year/water temps play a part and I bear this in mind and adapt arrangements to suit.

Any on else found this?

I'd agree completely with that.

Whilst I've had a dabble with single hooks I've not yet experimented with hairs although I did make some up a while ago with zander in mind.

I've found my all season niche with the trebles and it's working really well, I guess until that changes i'll be staying put with them.

keora

Reaction score

30 lb Power Pro for deadbaiting, this is strong enough to straighten out most hooks if they get snagged - wind down, pointing the rod at the snag, and walk backwards, clamping the spool firmly with your hand.

medway man

Reaction score
30 lb Power Pro for deadbaiting, this is strong enough to straighten out most hooks if they get snagged - wind down, pointing the rod at the snag, and walk backwards, clamping the spool firmly with your hand.

Thanks keora. Ive already ordered the 66lb based on the diameter in comparison to the 15lb line Im currently using.

---------- Post added at 03:15 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

Power pro is great stuff especially for lure fishing, but if your slant truly is deadbaiting then have a look at Fox Gravitron, it is fast sinking and very dense. That makes bite detection - especially at this time of the year - even more sensitive.

The debate about spacing of trebles, versus position in deadbait are really dependant on speed of strike. But if your bottom treble (furthest from the rod) is more than 1/.2 way down the deadbait, and your strike is not instant, then you are gonna end up with problems sooner or later.

Cheers Ive already ordered the powerpro but Ill be after a second rod soon so Maybe Ill try the gravitron on that.

rubio

Reaction score
Managed to retrieve gear lodged in a sunken tree last week. 24lb braid snapped sakuma circle hook free on a straight pull with the braid wrapped around the arm of my coat. Do not of course ever try pulling with bare hands. Best not using anything at all that you want to keep!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've always carried one of the wife's wooden clothes pegs for attempting to release snagged lures when using braid. Wind the braid around the clothes peg and pull, easily carried in your jacket pocket.

rubio

Reaction score
I've always carried one of the wife's wooden clothes pegs for attempting to release snagged lures when using braid. Wind the braid around the clothes peg and pull, easily carried in your jacket pocket.

And more easily replaced than a finger

medway man

Reaction score
Ive got fox size 6 trebles on my traces which look very strong, would I be better changing for a weaker hook or will 66lb braid straighten these easily?

Ive also got some made up with size 8 bronze hooks that Im confident will bend just not sure about the fox hooks.

terry m

Reaction score

Good idea, not thought of that. As someone who suffered a very deep laceration when spodding with braid and forgot to put on the leather fi9nger stall, I can vouch for the pain and damage inflicted by braid. It is brutal.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Good idea, not thought of that. As someone who suffered a very deep laceration when spodding with braid and forgot to put on the leather fi9nger stall, I can vouch for the pain and damage inflicted by braid. It is brutal.

Ditto Terry, I too suffered a nasty cut to the forefinger that gave me jip for weeks in the early days of using braid. But don't they say that neccessity is the mother of invention, hence the clothes peg. Followed shortly after with the first aid kit.

P

pointngo

it seems to me that the bait might be a bit big for that particular pike.. at 5lb it will have to move half a mackerel around in order to swallow it. If it was 10lb I don't think you'd be having an issue. Try half a sardine instead if you want an oily bait.. the length is the same but much less bulk.

Walking to your rod, checking the line is moving, picking the rod up, engaging the bail arm, winding down and leaning into the fish takes plenty long enough, without much risk of deep hooking. Waiting any longer than the 10-15 odd seconds it takes to do that is asking for trouble. Missed takes are most often down to the pike being on the small side.

it's the same with hooking arrangements to an extent.. suit your hooking arrangement to suit the bait size. With small baits then a hair-rigged or tail hooked bait on a single may be enough, but it won't really work with larger baits. Alternatively a single in the tail root and a treble down the flank. After trying single hook rigs in the past, and having fairly good hook-up rates, I still prefer two trebles. I think the hooks will always be in the mouth straight away, no matter how a pike picks up a bait, so an instant strike usually sees the fish hooked in the front half of the mouth cavity.

As for braid, I see absolutely no benefit whatsoever in using thin braid, and use 50lb power pro on all my bait fishing set-ups. Although braid is very strong on a straight pull, it hasn't got the stretch of mono so it's prone to snapping when there's a short, sharp pull (a bit like a length of sewing cotton.. pull it gradually and it's strong, sharply yank the ends and it snaps easily). The 66lb power pro you've bought is bang on will last you at least 6 years unless you have to strip a load off due to damage.