Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Paul C

Reaction score
No, I lost 6. I was referring to the lost time redoing hooklengths etc.

Hardly trailing tackle, a 16's hook and a few inches of hooklength. I target anything that will eat a caster.

If we avoided swims with rocks and boulders on the ribble, most of it would be out of bounds.

None of us set out to lose fish, but sometimes it happens. That's fishing.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, I lost 6. I was referring to the lost time redoing hooklengths etc.

Hardly trailing tackle, a 16's hook and a few inches of hooklength. I target anything that will eat a caster.

If we avoided swims with rocks and boulders on the ribble, most of it would be out of bounds.

None of us set out to lose fish, but sometimes it happens. That's fishing.

Ok Paul, I thought you were legering, as you say a 16's hook shouldn't be much of a problem.
By the way, I do know the ribble and fish it quite a lot so am familiar with the rocks / snags etc.
Being honest though if I was being snapped off so many times like that i'd either move elsewhere or go home and come back tomorrow with a different set up.

Paul C

Reaction score
I've had plenty of hook pulls in the last few years on the float, but not often I get bust off.

At 9pm I wasn't going to move and I am single parent so coming back tomorrow isn't a luxury I have. My next opportunity is over 2 weeks away.

I ended up using 5lb fluro hooklength but still lost three on that and landed 3.

Walking away is credible but I think you are the exception, as most people, if they are honest, would try changing their set up, how they played them etc and persevering when sat on a swim of mixed size and species of feeding fish. That's what I did and yes, next time I will modify things for that peg in the hope I improve on the lost fish ratio.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had plenty of hook pulls in the last few years on the float, but not often I get bust off.

At 9pm I wasn't going to move and I am single parent so coming back tomorrow isn't a luxury I have. My next opportunity is over 2 weeks away.

I ended up using 5lb fluro hooklength but still lost three on that and landed 3.

Walking away is credible but I think you are the exception, as most people, if they are honest, would try changing their set up, how they played them etc and persevering when sat on a swim of mixed size and species of feeding fish. That's what I did and yes, next time I will modify things for that peg in the hope I improve on the lost fish ratio.

Fair enough Paul, good luck in future.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Thursday 02/07/15
Venue:... Ribble
Time fished:... 22:30hrs 06:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Clear sky then very dense river mist from dusk until dawn, full moon illuminating the mist, quite spooky, no wind
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.31M and steady.
Air temperature:... 13.6C dropping to 10.4C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 23.9C
Bait:... Crust & Halibut Pellet/cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste and PVA Bag filled with micro pellets.
Results:... One Barbel 6lb-10oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… I managed to dodge the thunderstorms but I've yet to catch a chub on the Ribble when there is a full moon and or a very dense river mist. Fortunately, this does not seem to trouble the barbel, but that said, I'd just one bite in the eight hour session.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... I'd just one bite in the eight hour session.

Date:.. Friday 03/07/15
Venue:... Ribble - Elston
Time fished:... 14:30hrs -> 20:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Changeable - weird - unsettled - scorching sunshine - dead calm - hazy cloud - threatening rain - downstream wind.
Unsettled with occassional sunburn!
Water conditions:... EA River level at 14:30hrs 0.86m and steady.
Air temperature:... 23C dropping to 19C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... ??C
Bait:... Halibut Pellet/cheese paste on feeder stuffed with hemp, Maggots / worm on float.

Gusting, changeable downstream wind made stick float difficult holding back or caused tip to dance like an eejit on the feeder! Then change back to the sunshine and flat calm - repeat at random periods!:eek:

Whilst looking for the Grayling all I found were Dace, small dace, even smaller dace and minnows! - fairly hooked on 2-3 maggies on a 14:eek:
Then while after Barbel - nowt! - until just as I was packing-up - bang - it's a biggy - no it's not - yes it is - oh No :eek: it's an Eel! Nearly a pound - the b*gger had coiled round the weed when I struck - giving a good pull back - then had slipped and slid through the water towards me - then got into some weed near the bank for another fight - before finally surrendering! It kindly decided to unhook itself on landing which saved the slimy embrace!

If that wasn't bad enough looked behind the chair and found the slugs launching a mass-attack on me hempseed - eugh! :puke: I'd been speculatively loose-feeding them to any lurking chub all afternoon as they sidled into my pitch - to no avail!

Talking to other anglers on the bank - same story all round - no Barbel - not a Chub to be seen - nobody wanted me slugs - eels, eels, eels all round! We always used to reckon eels was a sign of thundery weather on the way - just made it home before the storm started :cool:
Unsettled weather -> unsettled water -> unsettled fish -> unsettled fishing -> unsettled angler!

Needs a flush of water through but I don't think there's been as much rain as the donner und blitzen promised!

Tight Lines!

Reaction score

I think you are pretty safe Paul on 5lb bottoms, its not something I profess to be an expert on but it's much more likely that somebody fishing heavy on the feeder is going to tether a fish ie. following a break off. Fish with a single hook and light mono attached seem to carry on regardless, as you catch them quite regularly. Keep up the float fishing reports, you inspired me to get out the float gear for the first time in years recently. I can't really chip in due to club rules. What reels are you using ? My Mitchell Matches that I previously trotted with seem a bit clumsy after using modern reels, I have never got on with centrepins, and the modern fixed spools I have tried are much further from the rod than MMs and thus a lot harder to use when trapping the line.

Paul C

Reaction score
Hi Jonathan

Nice to hear you got out on the float. It's a great method early season in particular when the river is a bit lower and conditions not great for the feeder.

I keep it very general, so if I am on a club water that has a publicity ban, it's not contravening anything. Well not to my knowledge. My theory on the rule in question is that they don't want their waters named or photo's identifiable with one of their waters. I think stating I caught this or that on the Ribble or explaining the make up of a swim is ok as it doesn't give anything away or identify a club stretch or peg.

In the main I use a Shimano Super 2500 GTM. It's a small reel, so reaching the spool is not a problem. Plus I like to use the fighting drag to adjust it quickly and clamp down on a running fish or slacken it off when it gets under the rod tip and likely to surge away.

Reaction score
In the main I use a Shimano Super 2500 GTM. It's a small reel, so reaching the spool is not a problem. Plus I like to use the fighting drag to adjust it quickly and clamp down on a running fish or slacken it off when it gets under the rod tip and likely to surge away.

I have noticed that a Shimano 4000 I have is the best I have got in terms of how close the spool is. And yes the main reason the Mitchell's are no good now is the lack of a decent drag, I used to just back wind with those, but it was mainly chub at the time.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Thursday 09/07/15
Venue:... Ribble
Time fished:... 22:00hrs to 06:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Light cloud, no wind, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.35M and steady.
Air temperature:... 13.1C rising to 16C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 20.7C
Bait:... Bread Flake, Crust and Halibut Pellet/cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn.
Results:... One Chub 3lb-8oz and one Barbel 6lb-5oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… A quick overnight trip before a very busy two weeks possible four. The river looked OK slightly up on the last time but I wasn't that confident, other anglers have had a few hard days lately. Only two bites all the session the first @ 01:10hrs resulting in a chub and the barbel came 30 mins later and that was that for the rest of the session. Both fish were caught on bread flake. However, I did watch a deer jump into the river from the far bank and swim/walk across on to my side.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

. but it's much more likely that somebody fishing heavy on the feeder is going to tether a fish ie. following a break off. ..
Not if don't use a tether setup and your cast is a lower BS to your main line. All my break offs have been at the hook or when I've lost a feeder, at or near the swivel joining my cast to my main line. Occasionally the main line breaks a foot or so above the feeder due to abrasion.

Reaction score
Not if don't use a tether setup and your cast is a lower BS to your main line. All my break offs have been at the hook or when I've lost a feeder, at or near the swivel joining my cast to my main line. Occasionally the main line breaks a foot or so above the feeder due to abrasion.

Similar experiences here. The fact that the same recognisable fish turn up year after year I think shows that a fish is very rarely tethered. The point I was trying to to make is that the stronger your hook length the more likely it can happen. My experience is if you hook a barbel/chub while ledgering and your feeder gets stuck (and maybe tangled ) then on a 6lb bottom the fish has pretty much always broken free if you manage to free the feeder, on 8lb its 50/50, on 10lb the fish is still usually on, any stronger than that and it has to be a big un to be breaking the bottom. 5lb bottom and float fishing is pretty safe I think.

Last edited:

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 15.7.15
Section River Ribble
Time: 18:00 till 22:15
Weather conditions: sunny and warm
Water conditions : A little colour and a little higher than of late
Bait – hemp, caster, corn & maggot
Air temp – NT
Water temp: NT
Method: Waggler
Results: 1 barbel, a couple of dace, numerous small chublets and 1 chub of about 2lb

It was hard work this time out. The small chub were very active and the dace, roach and better stamp of fish were not really interested.

The small chublets were a nuisance. They were damaging the caster in the first foot of water and it was difficult to present a bait further down the swim as it was usually shelled instantly.

Maggot was similar and nothing was interested in corn until later on when the one better chub put in an appearance.

There were a few barbel about and the one I managed was 6.5lb and I hooked and pulled out of two others, although I am sure one was foul hooked from the way it reacted.

A lovely evening to be in the water, but a bit frustrating on the fishing front.

Reaction score
You did better than most Paul, I was on the same length, I had a feeling it might be you when I saw someone float fishing ( a rare sight ! ). I will introduce myself if I spot you again. I only had a couple of hours to spare and got a chub and a big eel ( on pellet ) downstream from you. Loads of knocks that I had guessed were down to the chublets. No sign of any barbel, I suspect it might be hard work now for the summer unless we get some rain, or fish on into the dark. The only time I have previously fished that length I did OK in the peg you were fishing. But I think I scattered them fishing the feeder, so I think you are onto something on the float.

Paul C

Reaction score
Hi Jonathan

Did you walk up with another chap then go back lower down?

It's a steady peg during the summer and to be honest, I probably missed out because in the past I have gone over the float line with a feeder when it's been like that and caught good numbers of barbel late evening on small baits.

Sometimes they want the small particles but they won't take them moving, other times it's the opposite and statics are a waste of time!

That's river fishing. Very tough to predict but I regretted not having my feeder rod to hand that night.

Reaction score
I had a look at the peg above you ( very snaggy I believe ) but decided you wouldn't want a feeder crashing in on a nice peaceful evening like that ! I think there were two others on who I saw wandering so I'm guessing also struggling. I decided it was a 'moving baits' night ;-) so I think they just weren't having it. I have heard a few similar reports of late, fish flashing in shallow pegs but not feeding in daylight on either float or feeder.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 28.7.15
Section River Ribble
Time: 16:00 till 21:00
Weather conditions: showers some heavy
Water conditions : 3 foot above, lots of colour and weed
Bait – hemp, caster, corn & pellet
Air temp – NT
Method: Waggler & feeder
Results: blank

I was a day early! But when you have a day booked off there's not much you can do about it. We had plenty of rain the day before but the 4:30 reading showed it was only about 18 inches up.

On arrival it had clearly come up more and whilst it looked fishable, the drifting weed made it impossible.

The plan, because I had more time free today was to look at some new pegs for the float. The conditions made finding the right areas very tough, but I plumbed for a spot and plugged away on the float for 2 hours without a sniff.

I put the feeder in over the float line later but the weed was relentless.

I moved but finding any slack in the area wasn't possible so I had another bash on the float and then the feeder over the top later, but with the same results.

One of those days when you ought to just go home, but it was better than working and I got to look at a bit of the river I've not seen before and I'll check it out better at normal level.

First blank in a good while. I will be back on at the weekend with my excess bait hopefully.

Reaction score
Hi Paul, I fished the Ribble near Preston on Thursday in what I would describe as my banker swim & found similar conditions to yourself which resulted in me blanking.
Personally I find that the Ribble near the Tickled Trout stretch fishes better when it is low & clear using particle baits for barbel & the stretches near Ribchester fish better with a touch of colour & couple of feet on.
What do you think?

ribble rover

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this site, although I've been fishing the River Ribble since 2003 and lurking on here for a number of years, to get the latest catch reports and see how the river is fishing.

By way of an introduction, I've been fishing since I was 8 years old, (51 now) and started my fishing career on the Leeds Liverpool Canal (a small perch being my first ever catch).

I spent most of my early years fishing ponds, lakes and canals, dabbled in match fishing, then as I got older and got my own wheels, fished further afield in Ireland and Scotland targeting the large Bream Shoals.

I enjoy Bream and Tench fishing, but once I started river fishing and caught my fist Barbel on the River Severn (2002), there was no looking back. I enjoy the piece and tranquility of being on the river at dusk and anticipating that first 3 foot twitch and there's nothing like it when you experience that initial surging run of a Barbel with the clutch screaming.

To date my Barbel PB from the Ribble is 11LB 7oz and my Chub 5LB 13oz, although I've had numerous Chub at 5-12oz from the Ribble, that 6Lb'er is still illusive.

Only fished the Ribble once this year post June 16th and that was about 2 weeks ago when I has a session with my Brother- in-Law. Fished from 19-00-04-00, Low clear river, with large amount of service weed, I caught 2 Barbel 7Lb 12oz and 5LB 4oz and a Chub 3LB 10oz. My Brother-in-law had 1 Barbel 8-13oz and a 2lb Chub. Most fish caught between 2-00-3-15am.

That's all for now, tight lines to all Ribble Anglers.
Ribble Rover

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 2.8.15
Section River Ribble
Time: 16:30:00 till 22:00
Weather conditions: Dry and calm
Water conditions : .0.20 at Richester and a little colour still
Air temp – NT
Results: 20 to 25 dace, 2 roach, 2 big trout, 1 big chub and 1 barbel

I fished a stretch I haven't been on this year and a peg I have only ever feeder fished before, but it always seems suitable for the float.

Early signs were good as I set off with lots of big dace all 8oz to 12oz size and they were feeding quite merrily until they just disappeared after about an hour and a bit.

I had an odd fish until it just turned into hooking odd trout of about 2lb size.

I wasn't sure if better fish had pushed them out but I wasn't getting them on the float, so with a couple of hours left I switched to the feeder but didn't get any signs for an hour until a nice chub took corn. I added a barbel half an hour later on pellet, but that was it. I had to be off for 10 for an early start, but it didn't seem like it was going to improve any.

Hi Leeds - I certainly prefer the lower conditions for the float as it doesn't seem to deter the better fish feeding if you get amongst them. I only ever fish small baits of 6mm or less regardless of the method I use.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 6.8.15
Section River Ribble
Time: 12:00 till 17:00
Weather conditions: wet at first clearing to sunshine later
Water conditions : Normal summer level and clear
Air temp – NT
Results: 6 barbel, 2 big trout and 2 dace

I only had the afternoon free but conditions looked decent for the float once the morning rain eased off.
Unfortunately the silver fish weren't playing ball so it was a struggle for bites and mainly decent fish, bar a couple of stray dace.

The float produced a couple of barbel spaced out and the big trout and when I stopped for a break I put the feeder into the same swim and continued feeding the float line. I picked up one barbel after about 35 mins. Back on the float I managed two more with the best being 9lb 3oz but bites were hard to come by and I switched baits with no noticeable difference, although the best barbel came to double maggot.

As I packed away slowly I put the feeder rod back over the float line and I got one take and another barbel before it was time I needed to be away.

That's me done for a couple of weeks now as I have no opportunity now till the end of the month.