Which scales ?

ranger1

Reaction score
Hi lads

Looking for some recommendations for some scales, started fishing a lake where there's some good fish in it and if I did get anything big I'd love to accurately weigh the fish! Not to expensive if possible I've herd good things and bad things with digital scales.. was looking at Rueben mk2 scales.. any ideas or suggestions ?

Cheers F.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm one of those that used the RH Flyweights and grew to hate them. I ended up using some Chub digitals by default. However, they were a bit big for the single bag roving that the bulk of my fishing involves. A couple of years back, despite a few negative reports, I bought some Reuben Heaton 9000. Mine have been absolutely spot on.

steve2

Reaction score
I use the RH flyweights never had a problem accurate enough for me. My friend uses a set of cheap set luggage scales from the Pound Shop or some where like it. When we checked the the weights the were spot on.

B

binka

Personally, I would avoid the Flyweights over the zeroing issues.

I have tried on more than one occasion to offload mine but got rumbled each time and I am in a position now where I literally can't give 'em away.

The notion that someone might even be willing to exchange money for them is a thought too far :rolleyes: :)

ranger1

Reaction score
Cheers for the replys

I'll avoid them flyweights, I was looking at the korum digital scales? Any have any experience with em?

Cheers

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
There is only one set that I could hand on heart recommend, very accurate and has a long battery life !!
Long_awaited_P_B_Perch_016.jpg

View image in gallery
Bob

B

binka

Cheers for the replys

I'll avoid them flyweights, I was looking at the korum digital scales? Any have any experience with em?

Cheers

My mate has the Korum digitals... They have been very reliable, easy to use and seem to be accurate.

ranger1

Reaction score
Cheers

Lovely perch by the way!! Might get the korum scales! Any have any experience with em!

flightliner

Reaction score
Cheers

Lovely perch by the way!! Might get the korum scales! Any have any experience with em!

Me. I finally decided to stop using my old avon dial scales in favour of a set of korum digitals after reading numerous reports of them bieng ok.
Normally thirty pounds but climax tackle do them for £26/7 (on the internet).
So far they seem fine but of all the reviews I read no one came up with an issue I now have with them.
They come with a very smart soft neoprene case that is so good a fit that it takes a lot of manipulating to get the scales inside.
Imagine the horrer the other week when weighing a big barbel
i found the battery to be dead and had to take one out of a spare optonic I had in my ruckie.
What happens is in putting the scales in the neoprene case fingers accidentally touch the on button resulting in the scales not working next time out.
I now keep my battery isolated from the scales----- rather annoying---So--- tho
i do like them korum really should take care who they give em to when testing prior to them being launched on the open market.:eek:mg:
Hope this helps.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thankyou lads, it's a few years ago, from Roydon Mill before they built the Marina and my first ever genuine 4lbder !!

Freezing cold, snow melt everywhere, none of the rivers/canals were fishable.

It was very cold and I was bursting for a Loo, the only place I could think of was Roydon, I just made it in time, I looked out apon a frozen lake, but at the far end of the lake I could see Gulls landing where the lake is fed from a stream off the Stort.

That is where I headed and at last knockings I had a bite, the float kept pulling down a couple of inches and holding there, it did this a half a dozen times.

The last time it did it, I wound down and struck, the result a 4lb 2ozs Perch.

What a result and weighed on the Salter Digitals.

Bob

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Cheers

Yes. I had a set. Very nice for a year or so then wouldn't turn on because the on/off button wouldn't depress fully. Took them apart....fixed it, put them back together and they wouldn't zero. Binned them and bought a set of ordinary digital scales ( non angling branded) which have been superb. I carry an even cheaper set of digital luggage scales as back up and both sets combined cost less than the Korums.

Im not interested in super accuracy so these suit me just fine and take up no space at all.

ranger1

Reaction score
Cheers I'm not bothered about being off a few ounces if you get me still not sure though on what to get will need to order soon ish for a trip! Is there any weigh scales that come with a warranty?

Cheers

john step

Reaction score
I recently dug out my old Avons which I stopped using as the glass was glazed over. I have reappraised the situation and decided that they are not so bad after all.
As a back up( for the car when I forget them) I bought a set of cheap digitals on fleabay for under a fiver. I must say the display is bright and very clear.
The batteries are bog standard AAA so spares are not difficult.

terry m

Reaction score
Modern technology means that digital scales are incredibly accurate these days.

I have had a set of Rapala digitals for years and they work perfectly, never changed the battery once. I use them throughout the summer.

I also have a set of old Avons, they seem to work fine, but they always need to be zeroed in, even if weighing fish soon after previous use. I use them throughout the winter. No real reason for the seasonal use, except that it what I do.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the next set of scales I buy will be digi's, a friend of mine has some berkleys and they're super accurate, he's had them for over 5yrs now and never changed the battery!

Philip

Reaction score
I recently dug out my old Avons which I stopped using as the glass was glazed over. I have reappraised the situation and decided that they are not so bad after all.

Thats basically exactly what I did as well. However they are a bit of a mare to lug around.

For that reason for smaller species roving I also have a pair of the flyweights and although the zeroing is a real pain I quite like them as they are so much lighter than the Avons and when i check them seem very accurate. (..sorry..guys)

However I keep flirting with the idea of a pair of digitals but the thing that puts me off is that I keep hearing reports that unless the batteries are 100% they start to lose their accuracy.

How true is this ?

I can live with the idea of making sure everythings fully charged before I go, what I cant accept however is the idea that they might start to get less accurate as the battery begins to run down.

PS ...something else I just noticed..I did a bit of googling for a few digital scales..Korum, Salter etc ...to me they still seem big .... Surely if its digital they could make it literally tiny?...An iphone is half the size and does 1000000 x more functions .....has anyone taken apart the Korum scales ? ...whats exactly is filling up all that plastic body? ...why cant they make them literally the size of a matchbox ?

Is it simply just a case of marketing..they make it bigger so you think your getting more for your money ?

Last edited:

ranger1

Reaction score
Had a look st the wychwood t bar scales any experiences with them they seem to have some decent reviews?

Cheers

seth49

Reaction score
I've had a set of the korum scales since they first came out, never a problem with them,always been accurate when I've checked them, they are always in my fishing waistcoat pocket till I need them, don't take up much room and are light enough.can recommend them.