How did you get on?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well managed to make it out today made for the river Mease at Harlaston .

Wet and cold but srtuck it out for a few hours (3) had a couple of nice chub about 1lb each on bread then it got even wetter so i packed up but will be back up there in the not too distant future looks promising it has to be said .

PG ...

thecrow

Reaction score
Well managed to make it out today made for the river Mease at Harlaston .

Wet and cold but srtuck it out for a few hours (3) had a couple of nice chub about 1lb each on bread then it got even wetter so i packed up but will be back up there in the not too distant future looks promising it has to be said .

PG ...

A lovely little river that contains some big surprises, unfortunately I am not mobile enough to fish it now.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
A lovely little river that contains some big surprises, unfortunately I am not mobile enough to fish it now.

Ok yes i know the lack of mobility thing suffice to say 60+ opperations on Legs and back since 1979 so no stranger to that sort of problem ho humm hope you keep well ..

As for the river yes looks very nice and will definately be back in the somewhat better weather .

PG ...

rubio

Reaction score
Happy new year to all.
I signed out of 2016 with a spot of roach bashing on club water yesterday catching plenty of small ones. I chose my swim for the sunshine that fell on it rather than anything like bankcraft. Took a while to get a bite at all fishing 5m whip with punch and pinkie. Eventually small perch became active but only one roach on 4mm punch. An hour later and bites on pinkie or punch became much more regular. I stuck to just bread for final hour during which I had to follow them up and back down again. Eventually something stronger had me lunging with the whip to hold on, and a neat crucian made it worthwhile bringing a landing net.
Tried to repeat the process today in the hope of starting the year with a crucian too. No joy there but good sport with the roach, and a few nice looking rudd as well.

edsurf

Reaction score
15780947_10211165385880799_1374906495239740116_n.jpg

View image in gallery

Had a session trotting on the Hants Avon this morning it was very low, clear and bloody freezing had a sea trout and this one which I think is a salmon.
Not the chub I was after but considering the conditions not a blank.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

Oh ferfuxake I've drawn the same peg again! South facing and blinding sun in my eyes all 4 hours fishing:eek:mg: Forced to fish my left hand margin which was the only place I could see my float, I struggled in this 4 man knock up on a S.bucks lake....

4 punch roach in 4 hours....

Dire.....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I arrived at the river at 2.45pm this avey with nothing in mind other than catching my first fish of 2017 and then I could go home fulfilled :). First swim, third trot and bingo, first fish was hooked, played and netted, here it is lol....

Surprisingly that was it in that swim so I mooched off half a mile downstream to another swim where upon I blanked :eek:mg:. Even though the sun was still bright it had nearly dropped to the point where it just slips away out of sight within seconds so the pressure was on to get to another swim sharpish and catch another bloody fish! After a hurried walk of a few hundred yards I dropped into another swim, several trots through and the float started to twitch about so guessing something had my bait in it's mouth I struck and hooked a nice dace, this is very unusual to find so far up the river at this time of year! Anyhow after that unusual catch I walked back upstream and dropped into a swim i'd walked past a short spell earlier. I'd had several trots through with no luck, all the time being distracted by a barn owl which was flying back and forth up and downstream hunting for rodents. The owl was causing me to only watch the float intermittently between watching it, anyhow on my next trot through after being distracted yet again by that bloody bird I looked back round to watch my float which had vanished so I struck (as you do) to find a chub had tried to take my bait on the blind side...sneaky chub must have thought it could take my bait when I wasn't lookin', I know it did, but it payed the price lol.....

Anyhow the sun was just about to slip off and I was satisfied so it was hometime for some grub :).

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
I had intended to go Stillwater piking this morning, but for various reasons couldn't get out in the end. I still wanted to have my first trip of 2017, and had a small window of time to get out.

The swim I wanted to fish on the river tees was a good half hour walk, so It was a case of getting there, walking half an hour, fishing for half an hour, then walking back to the car fishing a couple of pegs on way back.

River was up, leaves coming down (although I was managing to avoid most by fishing the really slack water), and air temps were dropping to close to 0C.

After 15 mins I had a knock, then nothing else. I twitched the bait back, which resulted in a quick bite, fish was played in the tight swim and landed. To be honest, I wasn't bothered about size, just wanted a fish as it was difficult conditions.

Nothing else but happy to catch

85FEE837-9FF0-4F03-9344-E84E547E97F9_zps515g0sfi.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Had a session trotting on the Hants Avon this morning it was very low, clear and bloody freezing had a sea trout and this one which I think is a salmon.
Not the chub I was after but considering the conditions not a blank.

Certainly looks like a salmon to me. The tails a giveaway.

skov

Reaction score
Had a couple of hours ledgering bread flake on a Great Ouse backwater this evening.
Had no end of finicky little bumps and taps, but really struggled to connect with anything. Very frustrating!
Had to settle for 3 small chublets, but felt like I should have done better.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Well i made it to the office and set up in my usual swim! No fish but hundreds of emails; roll on thursday;)

neil1970

Reaction score
Nice couple of hours with Simon, both blanked on the lures but it was an enjoyable morning, being shown a stretch of the GUC where I haven't fished before.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
What a good way to while a day away! This morning I took advantage of the local cinema's tight arse Tuesday to have drool over Felicity Jones in Rogue One. Didn't begrudge the three quid at all. Probably the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back. PJ can keep Padme, I've got dibs on Jyn Erso.

As I managed to squeak into the all but empty early showing, I got out with plenty of daylight left to go at. Noting that the wind didn't seem as strong as forecasted, I nipped off to the river with less than a pint of maggots I had left from last time.

Inside twenty minutes I'd had four of those spotty idiot fish and a tiny grayling. The rest of the hour and a half on the bank was a fair bit quieter. I managed a couple more brownies before the wind and lack of light got the better of me. God knows where the grayling got to, but the trout were certainly up for it. Still came home with the best part of a pint of maggots, it was tight arse Tuesday after all.

john step

Reaction score

HA HA Had my first two fish on the circle hooks recommended by FMers.One at about 5lb and this one at a tad over 11lb. On the Witham on lamprey.

Not the zander I know but a pleasant first for me.
The first run I missed despite carefully pulling not striking. Then I thought "hey if these are supposed to work by hooking on the way out in the incisors, why not pull at a low angle-sideways"

Hey presto. Both hooked. Sorted.:D

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Got in a couple of hours on local rivertoday and bagged my first blank of the year. Nearly missed out to a slight twitch on half a lobworm, and a minor rattle trying ut this years cheesepaste.
This batch needs a bit more fettling as it's too hard as yet. River needs some water before I'll bother again tho.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What a good way to while a day away! This morning I took advantage of the local cinema's tight arse Tuesday to have drool over Felicity Jones in Rogue One. Didn't begrudge the three quid at all. Probably the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back. PJ can keep Padme, I've got dibs on Jyn Erso.

Good film innit ? I went and saw this last week expecting to be disappointed and I thought it was great. Knocked spots off the last one and tbh most of the others too. I want a wise ass robot sidekick and the scene at the end with Vader is just awesome ! :eek:

dicky123

Reaction score
After several trips to a little river I've discovered without success, I finally got some reward, with a seasons best chub!

The previous trips were in near artic conditions, and I think the fish were just in shock. But some rain did bring it up a few feet, and despite the cold I fancied a trip as the "shack nasties" were getting to me.

I started trotting maggots with my old 13' Daiwa team match rod. 3.2lb main line and a 3lb fluorocarbon 8'' hook link 16 hook. But after two hours I had just one tiny roach to show for it. The water was very coloured, but clearing some. I had a bag of mashed bread with a fruity flavour added in my bag, so decided to put three handfuls in the margin, just six foot down-stream. The margin was about 6' deep, so I pushed up the 7bb stick float up to 9'.

I sat back and had the first cup of coffee from the flask (I'ts amazing when trotting how times goes by, you forget to warm up with a hot drink?) it was a Kenyan blend we grind ourselves, very hot. I'd baited with a piece of flake on a size 12s super spade, thinking it being so cold a small mouthful could do the trick. A big roach, chub or barbel COULD pick it up.

Then the float buried and the tip pulled round as I picked up the rod. The fish pulled out into the main current and I could swear it was a barbel. But moments later it gave up and lay in the folds of my landing net. I knew it was a good fish, the digital scales told me it was my best for several seasons at 5lb 10oz.

Some would say three trips for just one fish in freezing cold conditions it was not worth it. What would you say?

Picture on the way if I can find out how to load it?????

barbelboi

Reaction score
I braved the ‘not so cold’ today (sunny earlier, clouding over in the afternoon) and took a 10 minute yomp across the fields to a quiet stretch of river armed with a 10’ stalker paired with an old Stradic 4000 loaded with 15kg Power Pro. Travelling light with a net and mat, a small shoulder bag containing some traces I made up yesterday, long nose pliers, forceps, cutters, a few other bits and pieces plus some roach from the freezer. The idea was to spend a couple of hours checking out likely spots with a bit of sink and draw.

I covered the best part of a mile and a half between 12.00 and 3.00pm for one fish late on – started the walk back then as the fingers were starting to feel touch cold in the light northerly wind.
4jan17rn_zpsqreqxpog.jpg

4jan17pike17.12_zps3buqp3mu.jpg