How did you get on?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I decided to brave the strong wind today and go fishing:), I was bloody freezing:eek: I must be better prepared clothing wise next time.

Anyway I did manage to catch my first Chub, as most of my fishing has been on still waters I have not caught one before, this lake has been stocked with some Chub and quite a few have been caught recently.

Only about 2lb but very welcome on a cold windy day:)

Congrats on yer first chub :thumbs:

Hopefully many more will follow,

They are very much an addictive fish to fish for and in due time no doubt you'll be wanting to target many rivers in search of the specimens :D

Be lucky

flightliner

Reaction score
A latish start on the Tidal Trent this morning on a favourite slack on the lee of a bend.The rising tide and extra water from the rain is always difficult to determine exactly where it will top out before ebbing which had me pulling my gear back twice to avoid a wetting but my estimate of it topping out was correct , happy with that bit.
A groundbait feeder with chopped worm n ded red maggots-- same on the hook usually nails a few fish and it did just as the tide was beginning to ebb, a good wrap round saw a nice "skippy" come to the net--- a nice start but things went really quite for 4he next three hours or so before a gentle tweak on the tip that didnt revert back to its original position had me connecting with a small roach of some five ounce or so.
That was it, several tiny taps that never developed had me changing my lines and hooks to finer proportions but it did no good, maybe they were laying off the feed but with the odd fish mouthing the bait, maybe my bait just wasnt suitable , even bread flake didnt get so much ad a sniff.
No worries tho, I enjoyed my day which is important.
I called into a local pub before leaving as I wanted to join a local club water but my contact wasnt around , pity really, I,ll call in sometime in the close season.

flightliner

Reaction score
Sorry skip, best knock I had all day , lol.
I,ll cook something else up in the summer if I get amongst a fair few.

skov

Reaction score
Took the day off work today :)
The weather was looking wet and horrible, but I wasn't going to let that get in the way of a rare midweek fishing opportunity!
I decided to start off trotting a stick float down a nearby Great Ouse backwater.
Almost a fish a chuck, but a long, slow trot to get to them.
Put together a nice net of little silvers; mostly dace along with a few chublets, a couple of roach, and a rogue perch.

C4mqtQFhv0rLTqlecGg0zrQRQ4pL5DUmEGRd2_KXgTbMOec4SvOol1I_Bs3zYyz2IblPIijtHWMX3IfGXjBOOBAWWIBQJZ1fbwaYO9oqcb7MzU-TEKQN-x7-wQVj0Yt9BTdNnj11TGJnBWLxgTEUHLQvMn7qwYWkAz1Lvgi-pJTscngfK6HrEZk5VDBZsMNQqPpi5bC2KSgo4w5HEOaQRGuxrddGTe1_t6MS5GAF8YZ1WjHjORoN3gcjVycvV4gkT-LRKrlOgzfGKFtWwkOYoc5i1HaWKsUYIY_2CAjEmxJBLMUWKFF5cm8myqqO5codZ9Kfy5x6j_UaXMPfAg5_Dt3asKyb_St2gpt02_6sD0KuokTFrUFf-eyYuUCS4gimxuLXWtEFM3B_6QGd_MA8XRsJJsx9HyHR3K2n166eRNZ6KXd9e8b1Sw6P_XU6vjf37le99UoMCHUbDSgwpXYO_hLGsUpaHasrW7sZNJGpNjyzsMQypauJ2AwAArMg7SHJJIQINIvanZP2UG2I7QxiHGdSz2vTCbFB0aboGWzB82P5BzufO2ioUBttBiRHilza4ZbWopEVx8wqqNwBt8wrsSL5kvSkzXI-abHPDnQ7hk7XNqOiRMLSeHf-3DFY_0LrSNWvxx5YM1jjrc_fuD-2Ln_aNZJKiwRbUBmGEpKX9Uo=w1197-h673-no

tMMO24JrmZIpBggyaiHWkhcXMAUZmJqf4NJ2g7ZrDQ869lALe_ubulnh1AXz6WiZYdK9pkYmhbPBvwDEKxW_7nzIPpPO-mf4DM7nbJSbvcw3fN6_3mXJqq73HE0mSTqk5knOhD-V7WZ6lXZrimzyY6kMvwNHiHhQzKg0LeXpJGo7UEsihAULKG99y4wn-BeVTXi6TLcLb6igx1U1upkXgjiRTY4T-xCvlZqmyCbrOu5-HjzslMW9YQMpkxMPZW8gMPlxd_gIUrDh8FLa8WdUXGjkjghf12PY8ZgNvS6970XJIYR4BULbX_hJ0s5nl7-PsRqRd_-au28L1Yj4Q8prQL010qzBDMh24FpD9WPzjuGYaKrLrL7qrAPDL0yYN3iWFAntf_fg7DEs8GOOA8CUu01yFjNjCQ2Sr41pjjITvXG2IavLZHmCzQBq3hc6KH0usg5gG5CUSLLherdLHF_oHuLObugmGZtAmPGcdd8mzYHvxbFb3U2Z25H95mcbX7RjWiHfmKcPg8K72DTx79Ri_KbZW7KPhJhCG57ro4-288PHnUL_QTCWjQfBCrjR8ZqHDcXlW2Kv8uqpMBCq6mbxdNfjivtt8diwdwra_oibUQVwyU8Tcnfwc9UJajuz6jxeSsXrhrBn3_VrjgaBTIgIyR0TtNifD1MNnR2g9K2MvYw=w1197-h673-no

After a couple of hours sitting in the rain I was rather damp and ready to move on (I must invest in a brolly!)

Had a quick lunch then headed over to a local gravel pit where there was a bit of tree cover to keep the worst of the rain off me.
First cast was met with a pike that tried to eat my float! A few seconds later it had a go at the bait instead. Sadly I lost that one half way in, but had another run half an hour later that resulted in a girl around 8 or 9 lbs:

YMXaBMSjsezmINptKbOY3Fszjdqi2xBRwOnk2OKqo-G0VLUf3hGHvhQtCsX-WOkDQG4SrzVMzEREcywyElqDKWFl7E44O6DdTcrFMxoNOtwWkAiriIFGp9F2xG7S3z4pvm9kBmthd2FXLmvzqbqMJ8GQefvlQ7q3tCnhO1STHjyWDO59RJDWLAgfy4hcfTaG71v3TUszPOEdcdKnXNDD4sWO57bSynUk6r-nxJvw4nrQr04cQT2sPcEJm_ndAL-XvyUhXXHWd-TR_BuZ910ZsMYfCvr3lRwKejl8m6OYKB6V9TutOt6oWpsN_AAqIHr9-CD0aYMHsD-b-QID1_R63UlS1GwJMLh4_FsggbjzHnAOdY_o8B0jmQi48aRQfI2zXhOPc7Wp_jRZAYl5VYhoCOMMGZh-BiS9dtuPduUgSS9bTKGugc1YfpEakVAH43ma1mWHZH2BPHdhQAM3Ie36wxzmPOrolTjq8_uKIZfr6aUZt-l5XPDuTpoU8V8QuM6miD--uUlZpjztY3iH1AgGZ4bzG4-gKnpFFbbTi5RUk_TLFrWv28sdUi3S4ymvLxvy3LXXq2-FqCNSqxW1sy4r1RVcx1KlHbrsF1zk-9E5g15z5ESE03zibg=w1197-h673-no

That was followed soon after by a feisty jack around 5 lb that leapt out of the water a did a tail walk for me. Exciting stuff!
Stayed another hour before I had to leave, but no more runs.

Good day overall, and well worth getting soaking wet for! Certainly better than work :D

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Took the day off work today :)
The weather was looking wet and horrible, but I wasn't going to let that get in the way of a rare midweek fishing opportunity!
I decided to start off trotting a stick float down a nearby Great Ouse backwater.
Almost a fish a chuck, but a long, slow trot to get to them.
Put together a nice net of little silvers; mostly dace along with a few chublets, a couple of roach, and a rogue perch.

C4mqtQFhv0rLTqlecGg0zrQRQ4pL5DUmEGRd2_KXgTbMOec4SvOol1I_Bs3zYyz2IblPIijtHWMX3IfGXjBOOBAWWIBQJZ1fbwaYO9oqcb7MzU-TEKQN-x7-wQVj0Yt9BTdNnj11TGJnBWLxgTEUHLQvMn7qwYWkAz1Lvgi-pJTscngfK6HrEZk5VDBZsMNQqPpi5bC2KSgo4w5HEOaQRGuxrddGTe1_t6MS5GAF8YZ1WjHjORoN3gcjVycvV4gkT-LRKrlOgzfGKFtWwkOYoc5i1HaWKsUYIY_2CAjEmxJBLMUWKFF5cm8myqqO5codZ9Kfy5x6j_UaXMPfAg5_Dt3asKyb_St2gpt02_6sD0KuokTFrUFf-eyYuUCS4gimxuLXWtEFM3B_6QGd_MA8XRsJJsx9HyHR3K2n166eRNZ6KXd9e8b1Sw6P_XU6vjf37le99UoMCHUbDSgwpXYO_hLGsUpaHasrW7sZNJGpNjyzsMQypauJ2AwAArMg7SHJJIQINIvanZP2UG2I7QxiHGdSz2vTCbFB0aboGWzB82P5BzufO2ioUBttBiRHilza4ZbWopEVx8wqqNwBt8wrsSL5kvSkzXI-abHPDnQ7hk7XNqOiRMLSeHf-3DFY_0LrSNWvxx5YM1jjrc_fuD-2Ln_aNZJKiwRbUBmGEpKX9Uo=w1197-h673-no

tMMO24JrmZIpBggyaiHWkhcXMAUZmJqf4NJ2g7ZrDQ869lALe_ubulnh1AXz6WiZYdK9pkYmhbPBvwDEKxW_7nzIPpPO-mf4DM7nbJSbvcw3fN6_3mXJqq73HE0mSTqk5knOhD-V7WZ6lXZrimzyY6kMvwNHiHhQzKg0LeXpJGo7UEsihAULKG99y4wn-BeVTXi6TLcLb6igx1U1upkXgjiRTY4T-xCvlZqmyCbrOu5-HjzslMW9YQMpkxMPZW8gMPlxd_gIUrDh8FLa8WdUXGjkjghf12PY8ZgNvS6970XJIYR4BULbX_hJ0s5nl7-PsRqRd_-au28L1Yj4Q8prQL010qzBDMh24FpD9WPzjuGYaKrLrL7qrAPDL0yYN3iWFAntf_fg7DEs8GOOA8CUu01yFjNjCQ2Sr41pjjITvXG2IavLZHmCzQBq3hc6KH0usg5gG5CUSLLherdLHF_oHuLObugmGZtAmPGcdd8mzYHvxbFb3U2Z25H95mcbX7RjWiHfmKcPg8K72DTx79Ri_KbZW7KPhJhCG57ro4-288PHnUL_QTCWjQfBCrjR8ZqHDcXlW2Kv8uqpMBCq6mbxdNfjivtt8diwdwra_oibUQVwyU8Tcnfwc9UJajuz6jxeSsXrhrBn3_VrjgaBTIgIyR0TtNifD1MNnR2g9K2MvYw=w1197-h673-no

After a couple of hours sitting in the rain I was rather damp and ready to move on (I must invest in a brolly!)

Had a quick lunch then headed over to a local gravel pit where there was a bit of tree cover to keep the worst of the rain off me.
First cast was met with a pike that tried to eat my float! A few seconds later it had a go at the bait instead. Sadly I lost that one half way in, but had another run half an hour later that resulted in a girl around 8 or 9 lbs:

YMXaBMSjsezmINptKbOY3Fszjdqi2xBRwOnk2OKqo-G0VLUf3hGHvhQtCsX-WOkDQG4SrzVMzEREcywyElqDKWFl7E44O6DdTcrFMxoNOtwWkAiriIFGp9F2xG7S3z4pvm9kBmthd2FXLmvzqbqMJ8GQefvlQ7q3tCnhO1STHjyWDO59RJDWLAgfy4hcfTaG71v3TUszPOEdcdKnXNDD4sWO57bSynUk6r-nxJvw4nrQr04cQT2sPcEJm_ndAL-XvyUhXXHWd-TR_BuZ910ZsMYfCvr3lRwKejl8m6OYKB6V9TutOt6oWpsN_AAqIHr9-CD0aYMHsD-b-QID1_R63UlS1GwJMLh4_FsggbjzHnAOdY_o8B0jmQi48aRQfI2zXhOPc7Wp_jRZAYl5VYhoCOMMGZh-BiS9dtuPduUgSS9bTKGugc1YfpEakVAH43ma1mWHZH2BPHdhQAM3Ie36wxzmPOrolTjq8_uKIZfr6aUZt-l5XPDuTpoU8V8QuM6miD--uUlZpjztY3iH1AgGZ4bzG4-gKnpFFbbTi5RUk_TLFrWv28sdUi3S4ymvLxvy3LXXq2-FqCNSqxW1sy4r1RVcx1KlHbrsF1zk-9E5g15z5ESE03zibg=w1197-h673-no

That was followed soon after by a feisty jack around 5 lb that leapt out of the water a did a tail walk for me. Exciting stuff!
Stayed another hour before I had to leave, but no more runs.

Good day overall, and well worth getting soaking wet for! Certainly better than work :D

Well done fella, nice little silver fish catch there and certainly beets working :thumbs:

john step

Reaction score
I wanted to get a last ditch attempt at getting in the perch challenge.
I stuck it out in the rain for NO PERCH just two carp and a nice roach.
No interest in my deadbaits at all. Just whack rounds on hair rigged red worm.

I wont visit this water again until the summer as I had a few very tense moments leaving - wheels spinning and getting no where fast. Half a crown sixpence.:eek:mg:

mark_t

Reaction score
I managed to squeeze another trip to the club lake today even though it was wet and windy I decided to give it a go.

I put out a waggler float setup with a bunch of red maggots on the hook, after about an hour I had a positive bite so stuck into something a bit bigger than the usual mini bream or roach.

It gave me a pretty good fight but I got this beauty in the net

It weighed in at 3 1/4 lb so is my new PB perch:) They seem to grow quite big nowadays, I don't remember seeing them this size when I was a kid.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I managed to squeeze another trip to the club lake today even though it was wet and windy I decided to give it a go.

I put out a waggler float setup with a bunch of red maggots on the hook, after about an hour I had a positive bite so stuck into something a bit bigger than the usual mini bream or roach.

It gave me a pretty good fight but I got this beauty in the net

It weighed in at 3 1/4 lb so is my new PB perch:) They seem to grow quite big nowadays, I don't remember seeing them this size when I was a kid.

Well done fella, Loverly size perch, yea mate yer right that in many fisheries there becoming quite large now, since the perch disease back in the 80's they are now really thriving, especially in commercials :D

Perch thrive on neglect as most people who fish many of the country's commercials these days all seem to wanna fish for the carp because carp are obviously weight builders when fishing a match, if it's not carp then it's silver fish and this is one if the very reasons why perch are now thriving and putting on weight :D

Perch in some of the rivers are also getting big over the last few years because of the signal Cray fish invasion that we've got, the perch again are thriving because they are eating the Cray fish :thumbs:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
GBThe
Any southern boy like to clarify please .????

Gladly. It's the way in which ones ar$ehole varies in size when one finds oneself in a stressful situation.......measured relative to pre decimal coin of the realm. A series of involuntary contractions of the sphincter muscle.

Like when I hook something that might be a brim.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
GBThe

Gladly. It's the way in which ones ar$ehole varies in size when one finds oneself in a stressful situation.......measured relative to pre decimal coin of the realm. A series of involuntary contractions of the sphincter muscle.

Funny PMSL :D

flightliner

Reaction score
GBThe

Ha ha ha, like it!.
Must put a picture up on here of another bream to see if it works :D.

theartist

Reaction score
Eww Chocolate starfish can we get back to fishing for silver ones :)

What a difference a day makes.... Thursday I went out for an afternoon session on the river as they said the wind would drop, well they got that wrong as it was blowing well and didn't drop much at all. To make matters worse the river was clear, had no flow and a bright sun overhead. Struggling for bites I did well to get quite a few roach and big dace although I moved swims as I fancied some chub, not a chance, they weren't having it at all as a chat to one of the old boys upstream confirmed. I gave it an hour before deciding to return to the dace and roach only to find the old boy I told had jumped in there, good on him I thought. I walked past not stopping to chat as I was keen to get home following losing a good float in the tree and deciding to call it a day, all windswept after just a few hours. Hope the old fella had a good fish or two.

Highlight of the day was catching probably the longest dace I've ever had. I feel it didn't weigh much but if records were done on length.....well who knows.:)

The very next day I returned with my special float retrieval tool - an old converted pole which I regretted not having yesterday. Managed to get the float back but broke it in the process meaning i'd done that all for three float rubbers, could be one of those days I thought. Thankfully it wasn't and the weather prediction was wrong again, this time they had the wind as staying for the day but it totally dropped and it was still, cloudy and quite warm.

With the water just the right colour following the morning rain it looked perfect and indeed the chub were having it big time. In a swim where I couldn't buy a bite the day before they were throwing themselves in the net. One of those special March days where the fish are under the rod tip and the float doesn't see the end of the swim. They were good ones too for this stretch and were going like stink, a couple getting the beating of my breaking strain but that's the whole contest. As were the two days of stark contrast, I feel I actually run the float through much better on the first day but sometimes it's all just down to the weather.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Artist, thats a dace and a half. Got to be a pound had you weighed it.