Help need on the correct names

iain t

Reaction score
Hi. Am putting an old leger rod back in to service. It is fitted with 2 sliding metal rings that hold the reel on. I want to replace these but no sure what the correct name for these. Also the cork is in good order but a little grubby for hand sweat and so on. What the best way to give it a quick clean up

B

binka

I've always known the reel fittings as collars, not sure if there is a special term for them though?

On the handle cleaning...

Once a year I give mine a soft scrub with a nail brush and some warm and mildly soapy water before rinsing and allowing to fully dry, if there is still any stubborn staining a really light tickle with a superfine sandpaper should finish it off.

iain t

Reaction score
Cheers Binka. I can now start looking for the collars. I will give the cork a very light sanding

chrissh

Reaction score
Try this guy
Ian Tucker, Custom Fishing Rods, 34 Hurst Hill, Walderslade, Chatham, Kent, ME5 9BU
Tel: 07742 277167

sliding-reel.jpg

View image in gallery

also this link
Reel Seats | R Chapman & Co

john step

Reaction score
Cheers Binka. I can now start looking for the collars. I will give the cork a very light sanding

STOP STOP!! Binka said give it a scrub FIRST. It will in all probability come up like new. Sanding as a last resort could alter the security of the reel on the handle.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Try this guy
Ian Tucker, Custom Fishing Rods, 34 Hurst Hill, Walderslade, Chatham, Kent, ME5 9BU
Tel: 07742 277167

also this link
Reel Seats | R Chapman & Co

Blimmin heck :eek: I didn't know that , this fella is literally on me doorstep, I'll be checking out meself now in exactly what he does, nice one thanks for sharing :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Hi. Am putting an old leger rod back in to service. It is fitted with 2 sliding metal rings that hold the reel on. I want to replace these but no sure what the correct name for these. Also the cork is in good order but a little grubby for hand sweat and so on. What the best way to give it a quick clean up

There called sliding collars :thumbs:

All I use us a washing up sponge with the green scourer bit and just rub over the cork with warm soapy water and the cork has always come up clean enough for my liking :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Warm as possible water, fairy liquid and a cloth, give it a good rubbing. If you use anything abrasive or with bristles you'll remove the filler from all the little holes in the cork and it'll look shyt. If you do cock it up and dislodge the filler you can buy filler but I think it's quite expensive for what it is.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just stroke the cork with the wetndry.No need to be too rough. If you do need to fill any holes a bit of plastic wood works fine. I don't bother unless the hole is somewhere that i can feel when I'm using the rod.

And tbh i don't think I've ever done a rod more than once. I don't like my cork handles to look too minty.

john step

Reaction score
Just stroke the cork with the wetndry.No need to be too rough. If you do need to fill any holes a bit of plastic wood works fine. I don't bother unless the hole is somewhere that i can feel when I'm using the rod.

And tbh i don't think I've ever done a rod more than once. I don't like my cork handles to look too minty.

Yes, something that puzzles me is when I see anglers with a rod whereby the plastic wrapping is still in place when the rod is being used.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Yes, something that puzzles me is when I see anglers with a rod whereby the plastic wrapping is still in place when the rod is being used.

Yea I must admit John that I can't get me head around this eaither :confused:

I think it just makes a quality rod look schit apart from the fact that in hot weather it must surely sweat under the plastic to some degree :rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

I don't get that at all. I left the wrapping on a new rod once ( days of sliding reel fittings) and the first fish i hooked and the damned reel turned right round. I ended up with the reel sat on top of the rod like i was skate fishing. First and only time i ever did that !

That was the legendary Shakespeare Team Feeder. What a rod that was !

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Collars? I've never heard them called that before!
To me, they were "Winch fittings" (a term used long after winches were more generally called reels), "Reel fittings" or "Reel bands".
Usually qualified by "You know, those fings wot 'old the reel on", just so everyone knew.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Collars? I've never heard them called that before!
To me, they were "Winch fittings" (a term used long after winches were more generally called reels), "Reel fittings" or "Reel bands".
Usually qualified by "You know, those fings wot 'old the reel on", just so everyone knew.

Winch fittings on coarse rods were put onto blanks a lot later than the sliding collars, the other known name as you rightly mention for the collars is " reel bands " :D

It's really only the older 70's and 80's rods that have the collars on these days, occasionally you may see some of the new cheaper rods with em but these have now virtually all been replaced with top quality fugi screw winch fittings :)

Again on the odd occasion it's also possible to have the collars also on very good high quality blanks but this generally is not what a lot of manufacturers do these days, this would have to be done specifically by a know quality rod builder and have the particular rod in question made up to specific requirements,
Something that I'd be more interested in meself as I like rods that are very much original and which just can't be bought off of the shelf :D

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think "winch fitting" is a much older term, Walton talked about "Winches", that should have died out when the "Nottingham Winch" - a wooden reel that looked like a centre-pin except that the drum was retained on the axle by a nut - became superseded by the true centre-pin which runs on the tip of the pin, and the term "reel" gradually expanded to cover all rotating line-holders, including fixed-spools.
The modern abominations that hold the reel/winch on with one fixed band and one movable one locked by a threaded collet are "Reel seats" surely?
I don't like them because they don't let you put the reel on sideways, which can make all the difference if it's windy and wet. Not that I fish much in such conditions nowadays, (nesh git) but it's nice to have the option.

sagalout

Reaction score
I leave the plastic on the handle so after 5 years I can sell it on ebay as "new still has plastic wrapping on handle" :wh

robtherake

Reaction score
Roberts Realfits sliding collars are still available here and there. They're made in a few sizes to cover different handle diameters, so might be an option. Their only drawback is that they were designed with the popular reels of the time in mind - Mitchells, in particular - which had fairly chunky reel seats, so a reel with a wimpy seat may not be gripped very well.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I think "winch fitting" is a much older term, Walton talked about "Winches", that should have died out when the "Nottingham Winch" - a wooden reel that looked like a centre-pin except that the drum was retained on the axle by a nut - became superseded by the true centre-pin which runs on the tip of the pin, and the term "reel" gradually expanded to cover all rotating line-holders, including fixed-spools.
The modern abominations that hold the reel/winch on with one fixed band and one movable one locked by a threaded collet are "Reel seats" surely?
I don't like them because they don't let you put the reel on sideways, which can make all the difference if it's windy and wet. Not that I fish much in such conditions nowadays, (nesh git) but it's nice to have the option.

Yea mate I agree that there are those really really old fashioned ancient type of reel fittings, I personally don't include these because to me they are so inferior and nasty, the horrible thick chunky metal screw winch fittings similar to what we used to have on beach casters, blimmin awful but I suppose in them days that's all they really had.

When I mentioned about winch fittings being a little later in me earlier post I was more so talking about the quality fugi winch fittings that we now see on decent coarse rods of today,
The sliding collars were generally before theses modern winch fittings, the collars were largely seen on many of the good quality match and feeder rods from the 70's and 80's

I still have a collection of quality 80's rods today and in some cases I'd rather use some of me old Silstar rods than some of today's rods :thumbs:

B

binka

You could always use the finest Portuguese A Grade cork and negate the need for filler and be able to safely scrub the handle.

Except that in reality you can't.

Because...

It is not graded to a set scale and instead is graded by comparison to other cork harvested in the same season so, for example, a 2016 'A' grade could in theory be the equivalent of a 2017 'C' grade.

I'm sure I've posted something to that effect before, either way I'm not happy with it and think it ought to be set to a fixed scale so we know what we're getting :)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
You could always use the finest Portuguese A Grade cork and negate the need for filler and be able to safely scrub the handle.

Except that in reality you can't.

Because...

It is not graded to a set scale and instead is graded by comparison to other cork harvested in the same season so, for example, a 2016 'A' grade could in theory be the equivalent of a 2017 'C' grade.

I'm sure I've posted something to that effect before, either way I'm not happy with it and think it ought to be set to a fixed scale so we know what we're getting :)

Arhh......grades of cork hey, now there's a man who obviously knows his rods :thumbs: