How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
it was a great day in great company, I have fished the venue a few times and caught well,
It didn't fish to its potential today, everyone struggled then Mike was on a roll, Ide, roach, an F1, gudgeon, My roach got mugged by the maggot as they swam past. It was good meeting Gordon as well
another face to a name, The next venue I have in mind also fishes well, plus I have a couple of backup venues, a few phone calls first will decide, We are going back to Dunham when the weather picks up.
All are welcome to join us on our outings, Venues upto now are Cheshire based and some are around Wrightington,
Eccleston and Coppull, so if anyone lives around those areas you will have an idea of the venues.

wetthrough

Reaction score
All are welcome to join us on our outings, Venues upto now are Cheshire based and some are around Wrightington,
Eccleston and Coppull, so if anyone lives around those areas you will have an idea of the venues.

Wouldn't mind tagging along to the Cheshire based ones next time. Day tickets? I know Dunham is but others?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should this post follow the post 9863 it would be somewhat ironic. If I don't get a PC award there should be a stewards.

Yesterday was a stressful one, all because of a blimmin tap that drips, anything to do with plumbing is a disaster waiting to happen if I get involved, just how difficult can it be to identify, source, remove and refit a cartridge for a mono bloc tap? My mind kept telling me "don't worry tomorrow we will fish"

So a four hour session was planned from 12 til 4 today, with the meat thread fresh in my mind, a tin of hot and spicy Spam was purchased from Asda.

image.jpg

I'm so lucky to have this beautiful estate lake on my door step just seven minutes drive away, just as well, I'd forgotten the landing net:eek:mg:

Back 15 minutes later cursing to myself for being a "stupid boy", never mind, all's well and as is the norm, the lake was deserted, just as well, have you worked out what happened next yet?

After losing three tench in the last trip I used an elasticated tip for today.

image.jpg

Caught a roach whilst plumming up (I should avoid the p word), no bait just a bare size 18!

Settled down with the first cast in, turned around to reach for my towel, turned back to see my whip disappearing into the lake! I was sitting on a slope, if you haven't guessed by now leave the room. So there I am for the second time since returning to fishing up to my chest in the drink, it was a radical method to determine the water temperature is still bloody cold. Rescued my whip and the culprit had unhooked himself.

This was just not going to be my day but stubbornness saw me leaving the gear and squelching my way back to the car for that 7 minute drive home to change. At least it's a venue where I felt at ease leaving all my kit.

So fishing part three, now just two and half hours left and the bites were coming thick and fast, lots and lots of these.

image.jpg

They got progressively bigger with some of the lakes larger specimens testing the whip. Having netted what I estimated at about 40lb or so I was getting frustrated that no other species showed any interest, changed depth, changed bait, still Bream after Bream.

Packing up time came, one last cast, float sailed away, not hesitantly as the bream bites are and the whip elastic was fully stretched as at last a tench had joined the party, better late then never. Seen this one a few times now with its disfigured mouth.

image.jpg

Took a time to bring it to the net and it was on my way back to the car that I'd come to the conclusion the whip isn't the best tool for the job. Playing the tench for a few minutes can wreck a swim for a while, rod and line on Saturday and no swimming.:)

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
A friend said he'd had a good day at the Deep Lake, and I felt like an easy afternoon on the feeder, getting a bit tired of pole-fishing in the endlessly windy weather. But the bailiff's invitation-only little match was on again on the feeder pegs by the island, so I had to think again. It has mostly been Plan B lately, come to think of it.

Round the corner, the pegs were sheltered, the surface calm and I was facing the weak sun, so I didn't feel too bad about getting the pole out again.

Bu1.jpg

Two swims and two rigs, as usual. I'd found some frozen flavoured maggots in the freezer, so some of these were potted in to one side of the 10' deep peg, and some micros and a bit of corn to the other. The match guys were finishing as I was starting, round about 2pm, and I heard the best weight called at 34lb, so it sounded like the bream were feeding.

That proved true, and with one of these first put in on corn, I never go around to trying the pineapple maggots.

Bu2.jpg

And I didn't have to wait long for the next bite. I can hear the distant laughter, but I have to say these bream were super-fit and scrapped like Irish bream. Many times I shipped back, broke off at the usual section to net a fish, then had to wait a couple of minutes and even add a section back to make up for all the elastic out as you tried to bring them up from the 6' deep margin to the net. It's hard to know on this lake whether to feed a lot or a little, and I've got in wrong before now in both directions. These were caught with the use of half a small tin of corn (about 80 g) and a handful of micros. We couldn't catch any this winter, so they seem to have an appetite now it's warming up.

Bu3.jpg

Things were going well, with 23 bream so far, until, at about 5pm, I remembered I'd been supposed to feed someone's cat yesterday and today. If they came back and found it unfed - the big clue would be unused food, rather than a skinny cat - I'd never live it down, so I had no choice. I had to pack up with a swim full of feeding bream, drive 15 miles home, rush round - luckily, they weren't back - feed the cat and pinch a couple of pouches of catfood to complete the illusion. As I said, it seems to be Plan B every time these days.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Gordon I'm going to Dunham tomorrow why not give it a try!

Thanks Mike but I was out today so I'll give it a miss this time but thanks for asking. Nice to meet you both. Look forward to meeting you again some time. Dunham fisheries is only 5mls from me. I had a look round last summer but it was wall to wall poles. Didn't think they'd take kindly to me waving my waggler around:)

wetthrough

Reaction score
Fished Cicely Mill again today. Nice day and not too windy although it got a bit blustery around 2pm but quietened down fairly quickly. Lots of small Roach early on and throughout the day on and off. Three or four just about networthy but mostly easy swingers. Carp were nowhere to be seen from where I was but apparently one or two surfaced at the top end. Just a litttle bit too cold for them I think. Managed to pull another Tench out at 3lb13oz so not a bad day at all. Odd that I've never caught a small Tench there. Sorry, no pics.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Wouldn't mind tagging along to the Cheshire based ones next time. Day tickets? I know Dunham is but others?

There is Lloyds Meadow near Frodsham, Manley Springs, Manley Old Hall, Tarvin Sands, I would say Brookside but have had no feedback since it changed hands, Blundells is hit and miss, Partridge Lakes has Holbar that can fish well, along with marsh piper and ribbon, As for the ones around Wrightington etc, the majority are within 10 mins from J27 off the M6, which to give you an idea of travel is around 20 minutes from Warrington ( Thelwall Viaduct )

seth49

Reaction score
Back at our usual place yesterday, different pool this time, holds bigger bream and some good sized carp as well, well we got set up in our swims,and started on the float, with a carp rod out as a sleeper.

View attachment 4559

More skimmers and small roach, with the odd bream to about two pounds, noticed it went a lot colder as the day went on, cold northwest wind blowing really took the temperatures down, sport was fairly slow for me, mick was catching some better fish on sweetcorn, not much for me on pellets, little roach were breaking them up.
View attachment 4560

It kept feeling colder and a bit of light rain as well,we had a late start as mick had a doctors appointment and I’d to take the wife somewhere at six thirty, so we packed up at four thirty, and called it a day,
Funnily when we got back to clitheroe it was mild again, felt a lot warmer, had a lot of line bites again today, and foul hooked what seemed to be better fish, might try a feeder next time and keep the line well down out of the way.

Finished with eighteen fish altogether, mick had more today, back on Tuesday looks to be a lot warmer as well.

rayner

Reaction score
First day for over 8 months yesterday.
Fished caster up in the water deep. Had a decent day really with the long lay off I'd had, I have been keeping up to date with how things were going so didn't go totally blind. I did suffer the consequence of going before I'd been to clinic as expected, I just ignored that.
The wind at times hampered feeding but I managed to force myself to keep it going in.
The four pints of caster were over the top, feeding only the slightest amount I doubt I used a pint.
No matter they went in my pellet pumps till next week.
I did buy some new to me expanders (Sonu baits) had a few fish on them, they sink without pumping. are quite spongy when soaked and even sink when they're dry.
I really enjoyed yesterday so regardless of issues I've lost enough time, I want to get back to my usual routine.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Been a couple of times of the last fortnight, small lake on the Lord Harringtons ticket. Had a delightful morning catching a mix of fish including a couple of nice chub, and to finish off a nice Tench just over 6lbs. All fished on one rod with the pin, double maggot on an 18. The roach bites were superquick, and took some getting used to, but ended up with well over 20. A nice morning. Went last week fished the same area, cold wind blowing into the margins managed 2 fish in 3 hours, how fortunes change. Still nice to be out though.