How did you get on?

flightliner

Reaction score
A change of venue, very very local, so local I could have saved the postman a job by throwing my council tax demand out the car window towards the town hall steps.
Simple maggot feeder paternostered with a size sixteen hook with two red maggots was the plan that tho slow to start gave me a superb Bream that surprised me by going 6-7 on the scales, very welcome too.
A nice roach that tho not weighed would like as not be around a pound followed soon afterwards, sadly the only redfin of the day but the Bream kept turning up periodically and all of a very decant size that to be honest had me kicking myself for not bothering to bring a little groundbait as I'm sure I would have put a few more in the net but five for almost twenty eight pounds is certainly not to be sneezed at in this neck of the woods.
The weather forcast was for a sunny morning that would turn cloudy in the afternoon but it stayed sunny with a very awry wind , the result of which left me somewhat red faced (lol) but gladly its all but gone now.
The big surprise was early afternoon when, hunkered down in deep concentration a voice from behind requested me to produce my fishing lisence---- hells bells--- whats going on! Thats twice in the last fifty eight years, c'mon guys thats almost bordering on harassment!:jaw:lol.
Really enjoyed the Bream, a nice change with the exception of the slime as I looked like an extra in the film "Ghostbusters"when I walked in the house a little later, but oh--- that smell, if only it were possible to bottle it!!!:puke:

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Today I did a Peter Crabtree day. I set my stool for a bag of fish. (Lake not GUC) I even used a keepnet for a change. I had about 50 fish ranging from perch to skimmers the odd roach and a solitary rudd.

Nothing over 8 ozs but some were feisty enough to bend my revamped Normark. All on freeby red worm.

A lovely day in the sun for a change. My holdall was that £3.50 job from Fishing Republic some of us obtained.

Sorry S63 not really rubbing it in:wh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today I did a Peter Crabtree day. I set my stool for a bag of fish. (Lake not GUC) I even used a keepnet for a change. I had about 50 fish ranging from perch to skimmers the odd roach and a solitary rudd.

Nothing over 8 ozs but some were feisty enough to bend my revamped Normark. All on freeby red worm.

A lovely day in the sun for a change. My holdall was that £3.50 job from Fishing Republic some of us obtained.

Sorry S63 not really rubbing it in:wh

Do keep up John. Not only did I get a holdall but a rod bag too, both freebies:cheer2:

john step

Reaction score
Do keep up John. Not only did I get a holdall but a rod bag too, both freebies:cheer2:

Well bless my soul.:):applouse: Well done.:clap2: I was obviously diddled for my £3.50.:wh

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thank you Lakhyaman for some very interesting and luxurious posts accompanied by some stunning photos! I too am reluctant to try and follow that in that a snake lake( albeit very large) in A little Cheshire village is harshly the confluence of two great rivers in the foothills of the Himalayas . Cheshire is very flat!

I tried the other pool( the snake lake ) and after a totally unproductive morning ( except for increasing the turnover of feeders from Guru and Korum ) I reduced the hook to an 18 and a 4mm pellet in the band and suddenly I started to catch! I had 5 carp but one each of common, mirror, crucian and F1 plus 3 rudd and a few more roach! I cannot compete with PC!

View attachment 4584

No fish pics as my phone lost all power despite being fully charged this morning!!!

Markcw please start a new thread on Cheshire fishing as PC requires! We can thus record our modest exploits without hijacking the hdygo thread!

As suggested by Peter Crabtree and requested by Mike, I will do a Fishing in Cheshire thread, but I don't want to make it sound like a free advert for the fisheries, it will be based on how I and others if they contribute have fared at the fisheries, will also include future visits to new fisheries.

nottskev

Reaction score
As suggested by Peter Crabtree and requested by Mike, I will do a Fishing in Cheshire thread, but I don't want to make it sound like a free advert for the fisheries, it will be based on how I and others if they contribute have fared at the fisheries, will also include future visits to new fisheries.

Fishing in Cheshire! Will there be footballers' wives ? :)

nottskev

Reaction score
Lakhyaman may just have to look that up in his Oxford dictionary ! I doubt it's even in there!:)

It's an invariant (ie doesn't change grammatically to "aren't I", "didn't they"," won't she" etc ) question tag; works exactly like the French "n'est-ce pas?" It is in the dictionary. I'm not taking the pas. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No chase after Golden Mahseer should end without a visit to the Western Ramganga, the river that runs through the Corbett National Park. If you have not already done so, then the books on the hunting of man-eating tigers and leopards by Colonel Jim Corbett (Maneaters of Kumaon, The Temple Tiger and More Maneaters of Kumaon, The Maneating Leopard of Rudraprayag) is a must for on your travels you will tread in his footsteps and the fascinating description of the hills in his time and as they are now will give you a sense of travelling through time.

The Western Ramganga
View attachment 4591

If you stand on top of the little cliff where the rapids tail into a deep pool you will see fish the size of which will make you think twice about casting a lure to them. But nothing loth you will, as I did, and fail to evince any interest. So we turned to bait, at least I did. We caught Mahseer. This was probably the smallest.
View attachment 4592

The Ramganga is a wild little river. We found this dead python in it.
View attachment 4593
It had eaten a porcupine but the quills had done there job and punctured its vital organs and killed the snake. If you expand the picture you can just make out a quill which had made its way through within the coil.

The other side of the river is within the Corbett Tiger Reserve. At dusk a sudden stillness settles upon the hills. And then the fear filled "dhank dhank" of a Sambhar deer's alarm will come down to you, followed by the quavering "Pea Hawn" of a peacock. The confirmation by that ever vigilant sentinel of the hills, the black faced langur monkey, as he coughs out his alarm, and he never lies, tells you that they still roam here. All the jungle folk take heed for His Majesty is out surveying his kingdom.

View attachment 4594
The Sentinel of the Hills

HM
View attachment 4595

My apologies to Mr. Crabtree for taking up so much of his thread. But this is where we meet and talk about what we have seen and done. It is a long story but it is the termination of thirty eight years. Please do forgive.

If you want to see more photos of our trip especially the spectacular wildlife in Corbett park please click on the link below.

Mahseer - Google Photos

All the best

Lakhyaman

Fantastic stuff Lankyman, i'm very emvious of your adventure.....brilliant !

peterjg

Reaction score
Like many others on here I have been struggling on my normal stocked club lakes. Yesterday I went to a commercial, it made such a change to get some action. Non stop bites all day, I caught loads of roach, several carp, a tench and a perch. The place was immaculate, no that's wrong it was manicured!

The lake was vastly over stocked and I couldn't help but catch, it was not what I consider as 'proper' angling, it seemed just too synthetic. There was no challenge, no skill required at all, now I can't wait to get back to my club lakes and start serious blanking again!

Having said all that there is a place for commercials in fishing. Great for kids learning to fish and great places to fish to remind you what a fish looks like. However; the thought of sitting there with all those anglers facing each other across the lake is just not for me, I like fishing in more natural surroundings with solitude and peace. The odd bite now and again being a bonus.

xenon

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if I should break the habit of a lifetime and go to a commercial myself. Have not even had so much as a bite since the end of the river season!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was up about 6:30 this morning, couldn't decide whether to fish or do some gardening. I pottered about a bit then decided I needed to tie up some 4m whip rigs for tomorrow. Ended up taking all my gear and bait down to Croxley on the ****o's pound. ****o's after the paper manufacturer ****insons who used to have a mill on the nearby river Gade. There they made Croxley Script paper if anyone remembers it?

image.jpeg

During the winter I always found the roach under the disused railway bridge but today the boaties were using angle grinders and burning God knows what on the far bank. I set up a few hundred yards away.

image.jpeg

With the first rig made up and shotted I gave the punch a go, no bites for nearly an hour. I started thinking I'd make up another rig when a bite came out of the blue, a nice dace.

Chopped and changed between maggot and punch whilst pinging hemp and the roach turned up. The rig performed admirably with a 4x16 roach float dotted right down.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What a corker of a day. The estate has transformed over the past few days and is looking majestic.
image.jpg

I didn't have it to myself though, another member carp fishing down the other end meant I had to share!

The weather was too good, under blue skies and not a breath of wind I didn't fancy my chances, just sitting there was good enough but the bream (as always) obliged and I caught steadily with a few bonus roach adding some colour.

Had a walk around the lake to stretch the legs taking a few freebies with me, it's not difficult to locate the carp, they spend their lives amongst the reeds, they happily took a few pellets, this one of the koi looking ones.
image.jpg

A few decent sized commons lurking too.
image.jpg

Shame we can't fish over the reeds, easy pickings!

Packed up at 4, sun had caught my arms and I'd had enough of bream with the tench refusing to show. Think a 5am visit is needed on Monday whilst the bream are still sleeping.
image.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is lovely and it is special Mike, I'm very fortunate to fish it, just too many bream in the water for my liking.