Seat box advice please !!

20lb_roach

Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a Map H30 lite seatbox because of only having a fiesta space is minimal. Looks really practical, reasonable price and light. Question is do all other accessories like the preston onbox fit this beacause struggling to find map accessories? and also what basic accessories would I need... I know I would like a pole support at the front for when im fishing long, a pole sock ( do I need some other attachment for the sock to go into?), also the roost for my pole kits ( do I need some sort of attatchement for this?) and probably a side tray. Anything else seatbox users out there could advise me on would be gratefully appreciated. thx

mikench

Reaction score
I am interested in the response to this post! No I haven't had a Damascene conversion despite the best efforts of Nottskev! I still cannot see me pole fishing but I do wish to go back to the canals! I would want to travel light and having seen Kev's Boss compact canal box , I reckon something small and light for narrow towpaths might, I stress might, be useful! :)

Using my own peculiar logic I would want one tray for bits and pieces, space under the seat for bait etc and a strap for slinging it over my shoulder! I would carry a rod and landing net and nothing else! I must try harder to go minimalist! I would then just put the box in the car and go!!

I hope I haven't hijacked this thread but to make sure I do like the look of the Map box!:focus::thumbs:

The MAP , Browning and Octbox light look suitable but they need to be light ie less than 6 kilos loaded otherwise I may as well stick with my chair! I will forego platforms and attachments in my vain pursuit of minimalism!

I cannot believe I am posting about a seatbox! I must be losing the plot ! A good used example would be ideal in case it doesn't appeal or my interest in canal fishing fizzles out!

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
All the modernish (black not blue, I dunno about blue) preston arm thingys fit 30mm with no insert or in the case of the latest 36mm come with a 30mm insert.

I have no idea about the map box but you would think if a company calls it's product "lite" they would publish the weight unless they mean lite as in we are giving you less for your money but charging you more because it has a trendy name.

nottskev

Reaction score
I am interested in the response to this post! No I haven't had a Damascene conversion despite the best efforts of Nottskev! I still cannot see me pole fishing but I do wish to go back to the canals! I would want to travel light and having seen Kev's Boss compact canal box , I reckon something small and light for narrow towpaths might, I stress might, be useful! :)

Using my own peculiar logic I would want one tray for bits and pieces, space under the seat for bait etc and a strap for slinging it over my shoulder! I would carry a rod and landing net and nothing else! I must try harder to go minimalist! I would then just put the box in the care and go!!

I hope I haven't hijacked this thread but to make sure I do like the look of the Map box!:focus::thumbs:

The MAP , Browning and Octbox light look suitable but they need to be light ie less than 6 kilos loaded otherwise I may as well stick with my chair! I will forego platforms and attachments in my vain pursuit of minimalism!

I cannot believe I am posting about a seatbox! I must be losing the plot ! A good used example would be ideal in case it doesn't appeal or my interest in canal fishing fizzles out!

Don't worry Mike - poles and seatboxes are additions, not substitutions.... you just end up with more ways to fish :)

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm always interested in seatboxes,especially if they offer something which reduces weight and adds to their function. Only my opinion, but I've seen a lot lately that are impossibly heavy and require a full scaffolding with aluminium and plastic accoutrements to supply the pole rests etc

There's a lot to be said for the old style canal/compact seatboxes, not least that you can pick them up and walk off, and the detachable footplate, as opposed to cassette in subframe design is flexible ie you can leave it at home if you know you'll be on a flat bank. They're small car friendly too - this Boss model has a footprint that's only 21" x 14". I think Matchbox do similar models - the Boss is only a second-hand option - and people speak highly of them. Some of the older models have square sections legs, which are fine by me as |I have all the accessories I need, but could be a limitation when most these days are made to fit 25mm or 36mm round legs.

boss1.jpg

At the risk of looking like I'm plugging this brand, I'll use the box I take mostly these days to illustrate something about attachments and all the add-ons you mention you might need for whichever you go for. Apart from being well-made etc etc, this box has an unusual feature - a 3cm square section base, with the ends open, front and back. You probably can't see, but I've taken the pic so I'll put it in

oct.jpg

I've found this allows me to swerve around a ton of clunky accessories by making use of the frame, and the fact that you can fit various square-section aluminium or steel tubes into it. You can add, to start with, wheels, handle to push, rod rests, pole spray bars....... and still have a compact, uncluttered set up. I notice you said you need stuff to fish long on the pole - I don't fish matches these days, so I generally choose places where I can fish 10m or less, so I can dispense with all the rollers and rests, (plug or cap the end section, and slide it on the grass/a holdall; trap it under my arm to feed) and a couple of top-kits rest on my holdall parallel with the water. The Octbox takes up a bit more room in the boot - footprint is 25" x 19"

oct2.jpg

It's worth doing what you're doing, ie giving the seatbox a bit of thought, as there's a lot of scope to get a set up that suits you personally and avoids the millstone of a box you can't move and a set up that takes all day to assemble and disassemble.

Last edited:

20lb_roach

Reaction score
thx for post. wondering if I buy say ie.preston pole support wud it fit the map lite box?..i notice preston do 3 different inserts I presume this is for different size of legs of other brands?

mikench

Reaction score
I'm looking Kev as discussed! It must be light like yours for those short and sweet trips to the cut!!:wh

The lightest I've seen is still 8 kilos so hardly light ! I like plans!!!!:)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The Map H30 will take preston accessories, you can buy inserts to suit from 19mm to 30mm, I think the h30 legs are either 25mm or 30mm. google the reviews on various boxes in that style "H" frame, preston absolute compact is one, but that is heavy when empty, I sold mine, also whatever box you get, make sure it fits in your car

Richox12

Reaction score
I'm always interested in seatboxes,especially if they offer something which reduces weight and adds to their function. Only my opinion, but I've seen a lot lately that are impossibly heavy and require a full scaffolding with aluminium and plastic accoutrements to supply the pole rests etc

There's a lot to be said for the old style canal/compact seatboxes, not least that you can pick them up and walk off, and the detachable footplate, as opposed to cassette in subframe design is flexible ie you can leave it at home if you know you'll be on a flat bank. They're small car friendly too

Yeeeees there are 2 of us on this planet which think the same.

mikench

Reaction score
I am struggling to find a really light box! The browning black magic easy box is easily the lightest thus far at 5.7 kilos! The octbox compact which looks superb is , according to the company 15 kilos with four drawers! I am surprised at that ! That is too much to carry! The pursuit continues!:rolleyes:

20lb_roach

Reaction score
Ok I could not resist any longer so I pressed the button and ordered the H30 Lite box with a short arm, side tray, pole sock, preston pro support and a preston safe topkit safe and some small accessorie items for £450. Thanks for your help and il let you know after next weekend how it feels.

B

binka

I am struggling to find a really light box! The browning black magic easy box is easily the lightest thus far at 5.7 kilos! The octbox compact which looks superb is , according to the company 15 kilos with four drawers! I am surprised at that ! That is too much to carry! The pursuit continues!:rolleyes:

Have a look at these Mike, specifically the options without the footplate.

I've no idea on the weight but having owned something along the lines of the S3 I can confirm that it came in at a smidgen of the weight you quoted.

I'm no expert but I would be surprised if it came in at three kilos or above...

Matchbox Tackle - S Class Seat Box

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

Using my own peculiar logic I would want one tray for bits and pieces, space under the seat for bait etc and a strap for slinging it over my shoulder! I would carry a rod and landing net and nothing else! I must try harder to go minimalist! I would then just put the box in the car and go!!

Mike take a look at the Maver Signature series venue box, if you pardon the pun you may find it ticks all the boxes you are looking for, Google it , the price is around £190

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
thx for post. wondering if I buy say ie.preston pole support wud it fit the map lite box?..i notice preston do 3 different inserts I presume this is for different size of legs of other brands?

MAP also do their own attatchments, you will find most major brands attatchments will fit other brands of box depending on leg size, The preston inserts are for the various style of leg that preston do, A preston pole support will set you back around £45+ whereas a Daiwa one for 25mm legs will be around £25, Sensas upto 30mm legs £35, so shop around,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

There's a lot to be said for the old style canal/compact seatboxes, not least that you can pick them up and walk off, and the detachable footplate, as opposed to cassette in subframe design is flexible ie you can leave it at home if you know you'll be on a flat bank. They're small car friendly too - this Boss model has a footprint that's only 21" x 14". I think Matchbox do similar models - the Boss is only a second-hand option - and people speak highly of them. Some of the older models have square sections legs, which are fine by me as |I have all the accessories I need, but could be a limitation when most these days are made to fit 25mm or 36mm round legs.

View attachment 4676

At the risk of looking like I'm plugging this brand, I'll use the box I take mostly these days to illustrate something about attachments and all the add-ons you mention you might need for whichever you go for. Apart from being well-made etc etc, this box has an unusual feature - a 3cm square section base, with the ends open, front and back. You probably can't see, but I've taken the pic so I'll put it in

View attachment 4677

I've found this allows me to swerve around a ton of clunky accessories by making use of the frame, and the fact that you can fit various square-section aluminium or steel tubes into it. You can add, to start with, wheels, handle to push, rod rests, pole spray bars....... and still have a compact, uncluttered set up. I notice you said you need stuff to fish long on the pole - I don't fish matches these days, so I generally choose places where I can fish 10m or less, so I can dispense with all the rollers and rests, (plug or cap the end section, and slide it on the grass/a holdall; trap it under my arm to feed) and a couple of top-kits rest on my holdall parallel with the water. The Octbox takes up a bit more room in the boot - footprint is 25" x 19"

View attachment 4678

It's worth doing what you're doing, ie giving the seatbox a bit of thought, as there's a lot of scope to get a set up that suits you personally and avoids the millstone of a box you can't move and a set up that takes all day to assemble and disassemble.

That Boss box is nearly as good as mine Kev, , Ditch the Octbox and get an ASI you know it makes sense, :wh

mikench

Reaction score
Whilst I am still thinking about a light box Rick Tyler of Octbox has been very helpful in giving advice and assistance! He tells me The compact without the bait waiter weighs 3.2kg and the bait waiter adds 1.3kg

A two drawer tray would add 2.5 kilos! So without the extra drawers the box would be 4.5 kilos ie very light and still light with them! Mm decisions decisions!

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Google the Maver signature Venue box, its around £190, the octbox , the same as any other box of similar weight is light
until you start putting stuff in them, ask yourself why are some boxes designed to have a wheel kit fitted ? it is to help transport them. My boss box has a wheel kit, that is a beast of a box if I load it up, The daiwa you saw when we went to Dunham had the facility to have a wheel kit fitted, My preston absolute didn't, you got adaptors so it would fit on a preston space shuttle, If Collin brings his to Lloyds Meadow on Wednesday, try picking it up, Its heavy but once set up is very sturdy.