Is this forum in danger

mikench

Reaction score
Equilibrium has been restored and FM is already a calmer place. We can learn from this and must do so. :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I actually started this thread to help the bloke, it can be a clique with only a few regular users and I didnt feel comfortable with all that had been said. I felt he may have dug a hole for himself, not hard to do, Iv'e done it myself but he had the chance to dig himself out but would not take it. My biggest problem was just not understanding what he was on about, too many curved balls in his posts. Someone mentioned the Crow who could be a buggar but no one had any problem with understanding what he meant and a bit of wit and charm went a long way.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I agree Mark,I took him off of ignore and tried to persuade him to enter into it all,but he persisted in his anti licence campaign,without a hatred of law,rules etc,something that society has to accept,even though some are ludicrous...

Philip

Reaction score
Banning is not an easy decision but I think in this case it was the right one. Well done Admin and Mods. I know this would not have been an easy choice to make.

I think the best way to deal with individuals like this in the future is to ignore them however for that to work effectively everyone has to buy into it. I think part of the problem here was that a small number of people continued to engage him across multiple threads & it dragged on for weeks.

Total radio silence is the quickest and cleanest way to drive them away as the one thing they want is attention.

Last edited:

gaz40k

Reaction score
I've just read though the other thread and now this one and figured I'd make an effort to chip in rather than just read like I have been doing!
The Weirdo chap, I'm pretty sure is a freeman on the land type. They believe all sorts, usually along the lines of only following common law (the basics, dont kill etc) and ignoring anything statue that a government has brought in as they haven't agreed to it. It usually just ends up them not wanting to pay for owt and ending up in court paying more in fines than they would if they weren't 'sticking it to the man'

That said, I'm not sad to see him go. It would of only went further downhill if he had stuck around.
Personally, I like this forum, I've learnt alot here and, if you'll listen to my childlike ramblings I'll even chip in with my fishing exploits too.

nottskev

Reaction score
Banning is not an easy decision but I think in this case it was the right one. Well done Admin and Mods. I know this would not have been an easy choice to make.

I think the best way to deal with individuals like this in the future is to ignore them however for that to work effectively everyone has to buy into it. I think part of the problem here was that a small number of people continued to engage him across multiple threads & it dragged on for weeks.

Total radio silence is the quickest and cleanest way to drive them away as the one thing they want is attention.

I think you're absolutely right, with hindsight - ignore is probably the best. (Although flagrant breaches of T+C merit penalty beyond being ignored; if we can ignore everything, what's the point of rules and moderation?) It's true that " a small number of people continued to engage him..." Someone even posted a dozen times he should phone the EA! :)

john step

Reaction score
Personally, I like this forum, I've learnt alot here and, if you'll listen to my childlike ramblings I'll even chip in with my fishing exploits too.

Please do just that. More the merrier. Keeps the forum fresh.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Phillip has a short memory!

I’m the same as another John on here and have tough skin and would be happy to ignore trolling but I can’t, there will always be a few that don’t ignore, maybe because of nothing other than a pure innocence and may not have been confronted by trolling before, and that’s all it takes one bite and the troll has succeeded, we witnessed it here when Weirdoh stepped into territory which was very offensive to some.

I attempted to “out” him, asking him to share with us his barbel videos, he didn’t reply, I also offered to buy him a licence but he refused to give up his privacy, I hope that made it obvious to all the sort of character he was.

I wonder who he will target next?

Last edited:

Reaction score
A return is possible/probable and I think he is sharp enough to alter his style if he does....

nottskev

Reaction score
The Weirdo chap, I'm pretty sure is a freeman on the land type. They believe all sorts, usually along the lines of only following common law (the basics, dont kill etc) and ignoring anything statue that a government has brought in as they haven't agreed to it. It usually just ends up them not wanting to pay for owt and ending up in court paying more in fines than they would if they weren't 'sticking it to the man'

Well spotted - nobody else nailed that. I had a quick look, and all his anarchistic arguments map pretty closely onto this

Freemen on the land - Wikipedia

And you can get a strong sense of deja vu here

Skeptoid:
The Legal Gibberish of "Freeman on the Land"

Interesting, if bonkers. Leaves the question: why does someone so determined to be a private individual and resist all state interference, want to join a public forum about fishing and hassle everybody else to death with their personal politics?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have no doubt as to the calibre of the person concerned and duly said so in posts and pms . He was the first troll I have come across but then I don’t do social media and am not a member of any other forums.

We need to be vigilant and as soon as one becomes apparent ignore him or her.

He was most definitely bonkers.

Philip

Reaction score
Leaves the question: why does someone so determined to be a private individual and resist all state interference, want to join a public forum about fishing and hassle everybody else to death with their personal politics?

Maybe because in addition to being a Freeman he was also a PITA. :)

gaz40k

Reaction score
Maybe because in addition to being a Freeman he was also a PITA. :)

In my experience, they do tend to go hand in hand! I don't think he was so much a troll as just so dug into his beliefs that he couldn't see any other opinion. Folk that are so sure their right, tend to want to tell the world how right they are. In his head, he wasn't trolling, he was educating the sheep that blindly follow.

There is no helping someone that far down the rabbit hole.
On the licence front, this is the first year I've had a full licence (never went without just only went here and there so bought day licences) it's a good feeling sitting on the bank, knowing it's there. It's worth every penny to be looking at a float and not over my shoulder!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’d never heard of the Freeman term before you had raised it, had a google out of curiosity and a number of stories flag up, drivers nicked for no driving licence (which in turn means uninsured), freeloaders, scroungers, leeches comes to mind.

Guess the lack of a fishing licence is small beer by comparison.

nottskev

Reaction score
Folk that are so sure their right, tend to want to tell the world how right they are. In his head, he wasn't trolling, he was educating the sheep that blindly follow.

A look on here is an education

A Forum for individual lawful rebellion in all its forms

like the post where someone gleefully narrates how, when the police inspected his passport and asked if that was him, he answered "No- I'm over here!". Lessons in logic! I'd watch the Louis Theroux documentary, if he did one.

gaz40k

Reaction score
I found out about it all a few years back. There was a chap in Carlton (Notts) down the road when I lived there, he was arguing with his bank over his mortgage, got some bad advice, went all freeman on the land, lost the lot and last I heard is a full on fruit loop now. It was all over the local papers.
It is a fascinating subject. The way some of them find what they think are loopholes in 400 year old laws etc.
The general idea seems to be they just don't want to pay for anything! Their happy to pick up any benefits of the society as it stands, just not pay anything into it.

john step

Reaction score
My past experience is that you cannot reason with a fruit cake or a drunk. I have been one of the aforementioned and I dont think it was the first one. :wh Some may disagree!!!:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
The term freeman is merely a euphemism for a tax evader, freeloader, drug dealer and general waste of space. That they exist is down to the rest of us who pay our taxes, do our bit and abide by our laws. If we were all freemen we would have anarchy of Neanderthal proportions !

theartist

Reaction score
Freemans was also the name of a mail order company who had a chunky catalogue back in the day before the internet. Mainly selling womens clothes, certain pages made for quite interesting study material for a teenage boy growing up ;)