Morale booster

Aknib

Reaction score
I don't know about you but post-flood flattened Winter reed beds combined with fresh silt deposits and a nicely running river scream big Roach to me.

Go on, place yourself there, you know exactly where to stand.

The fact that my trotted worms were ignored the entire day betrays the perfect symmetry :laugh:

Serves me right! :laugh:

seth49

Reaction score
8513F624-1BDE-403A-A7EC-998E027AA01E.jpg
The weir at waddow hall on the ribble nr Clitheroe, used to be in a game fishing club that fished this, had some good days sport here when we could worm fish it for salmon and sea trout.

Took me a while to suss it out, but once you knew where they rested before going through the fish pass, there was an eddy which if you got the weight of the lead right, you could get the worms going round and round it, till they came out of it or you got a bite.

Good fun if you hooked on and it shot of down river, I’ve run a couple of hundred yards after one before I could get below it and stop the mad run, it was always better to try and keep them in the weir pool if you could.

I’ll never forget hooking a really big fish in here early one morning, it just carried on swimming up the river like it didn’t even know it was hooked, it swam straight through the fast water in the fish pass, and up it till the line touched a rock and cut it, couldn’t do anything to stop it, mick had a thirty pounder out of here a couple of years later, reckon mine was at least as big if not bigger.

All good things come to an end though, the fly fishermen never liked us worming and finally got it banned a few years later, I gave up on that club not long after, it just wasn’t the same anymore.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice that Seth, must have been a thrill, I only tried for salmon once, on the river Findhorn but never had a take however, not a noted river and I was an amateur at it.
Here are some shots at Weybridge, the Wey Navigation Canal, the River Wey and the Basingstoke canal all meet here and the Thames is just down the way. Only fished here a few times and only had fish in the Basingstoke bit which is just too the right in the first picture, this is a turning point for barges to go in the lock (middle picture) but nice in places especially the walk down to the Thames. Sorry about the size of pics, new computer and new system and I still have not worked it all out.

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
No monster by any means but I reckon he was well on his way to eventually becoming one.

A really nice, clean specimen with great proportions...

Keith M

Reaction score
At the end of a short Carp session I wound in both of my rods and started to put my rods away however one of my rods was still in the water by my feet and this tiny kitten of around a pound took my bait.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
At the end of a short Carp session I wound in both of my rods and started to put my rods away however one of my rods was still in the water by my feet and this tiny kitten of around a pound took my bait.

Keith

Ahhh,I would have loved to catch one that size on my slider tackle,the smallest i had if I remember correctly was 12/13lbs,a real handful on a match rod...

Aknib

Reaction score
Another spot of urban fishing on a frosty and bitterly cold Winter morning, if the white rooftops aren't enough to confirm it...

html multiple images

The ice forming in the rings was...

Always worth turning out though, even on a heavily silted old dam where the hardy still oblige and a Chub put in a welcome appearance...

Along with numerous, quality Roach...

imagehost

I have no idea what it is about this place, with an average depth of less than two feet it's the kind of shallow water that you would avoid like the plague in cold weather and the fish appear to be well fed despite it hardly ever being fished during the colder months but it's one of the most consistent, and free, waters that I know regardless of how cold it gets.

Let's hear it for urban (and free!) fishing! :clap:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems a lifetime ago, but in reality no more than a couple of years since a short session on the river Stour running through Canterbury. Did I catch any chub on the day, can’t remember.:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
We once travelled abroad to take in the sun and enjoy foreign culture. It seems years ago but was only in February.

IMG_5353.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
Where I'd normally be this time of year with the shutdown on the running water - woodland pond 10 minute walk across the fields and one of the farm ponds about the same in the other direction.

19septpondcrue.jpg

farmpond.jpg

Aknib

Reaction score
If you want to catch a nice Winter Chub in the harshest of cold forget the cheese paste, just get some Lamprey and go Zander fishing...

That was far from the only one too, I think I've already posted some big Chub caught on Lamprey baits, I would highly rate them as a top Chub bait in the depths of Winter.

Forget slicing off discs, the bigger the better...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
And last but not least, perhaps the prettiest of them all, the humble Rudd. (my last fish pic, saved the best till last).

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
So far I have not really tried to catch carp from the Lot, but picked up a couple whilst fishing for other species.

Rumour has it that the Cenevieres stretch is home to 30kg+ carp, but this is my only carp from that stretch, caught amongst some very nice chub!

Carp 1st from Lot.jpg

and the chub...

IMG_20190321_174614030_HDR.jpg

The only other carp came from the Larnagol stretch, along with two barbel and a decent bream.

Small carp Larnagol.jpg

Pretty little carp, in their peculiar way! Both carp came to worm baits after I had changed from my usual boilies.

seth49

Reaction score
Taken on this mornings walk, everything is looking greener, and plenty of blossom too, nice morning to be out hardly saw anyone else.

977C4B82-2333-4B8E-8652-B7AC5AA997D0.jpg

520DFCA2-C398-40A5-A01A-988F812BBD0E.jpg
Nice by the ribble today, it’s looking clean after the winter floods as well