Seat box (AS1)

Paste paul

Reaction score
Hi
Wondering what people’s thoughts are ....
I used to own a perfectly good boss seat box it had a side tray and foot plate with plenty of storage...
A few years ago my wife decided to buy me a new box for a Christmas present ( bless her)
She bought me a Preston plastic box.....
At first I thought it looked the business but after a few years of use I’m not enjoying using it ....
I sold my boss box so I thought I might go out and buy something else.....
I did see an old AS1 box for sale which caught my eye....
The AS1 is one of those items of tackle I couldn’t afford to buy when they came out and I never ended up buying one....::
Should I take the plunge and buy one ?

nottskev

Reaction score
I think Markcw on here had one up for sale a while back - he might be able to tell you something about the pro's and con's.

nottskev

Reaction score
I thought the ASI would be too heavy for me, so I went for a Boss Canal box. The ASI canal stool always looked good to me. I wonder if those boxes with internal legs would be a bit limiting, now that we're used to attaching all kinds of things to external legs? Handsome boxes, though.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I thought the ASI would be too heavy for me, so I went for a Boss Canal box. The ASI canal stool always looked good to me. I wonder if those boxes with internal legs would be a bit limiting, now that we're used to attaching all kinds of things to external legs? Handsome boxes, though.

My boss had internal legs but had a footplate....... I used to fix the keepnets to that along with a feeder arm.....
I had a brolli arm that screwed to the box but the AS1 has a brolli bracket fitted I do believe....
I suppose without a footplate I would have to use bank sticks but to be honest this wouldn’t put me off ....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used a Boss 6 drawer seat box for years but eventually replaced it with a Preston as the Boss was limited to what appendages could be attached, particulalry with respect to those needed for pole fishing.

Personally I have never had cause to change the Preston and wonder what it was that reduced your enjoyment of the Preston?

Admittedly the Preston does get a little heavy these days but that problem is solved by using a trolley or barrow.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I used a Boss 6 drawer seat box for years but eventually replaced it with a Preston as the Boss was limited to what appendages could be attached, particulalry with respect to those needed for pole fishing.

Personally I have never had cause to change the Preston and wonder what it was that reduced your enjoyment of the Preston?

Admittedly the Preston does get a little heavy these days but that problem is solved by using a trolley or barrow.
It’s great in some ways poor in others..... I suppose nothing is perfect though.....
One thing is every time I lift the lid up or section up it falls apart ..... apparently they have what you call mag lock now but mine isn’t ....... I lost a whole load of bits when I opened the box Up from behind at a peg and the thing fell apart onto the floor some of my gear went in the water.....
The other thing is the footplate it’s big and heavy ........ and the legs are long getting in the way....... I ended up removing it and never use it.....
I’m not slagging the box off by the way just answering your question

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My Preston box is pre Mag-lok thank goodness as a friend told of the same problem with his. On mine I also cut the legs down a little to a more manageble length.

Paste paul

Reaction score
My Preston box is pre Mag-lok thank goodness as a friend told of the same problem with his. On mine I also cut the legs down a little to a more manageble length.
Yep it’s a real pain with the old style clips........ it shouldn’t be for the money it cost !
Did you cut all the legs down ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

The ASI has internal legs, that is not a problem, mine has a groundbait tray which clips on the side, this is large enough for bait boxes, disgorgers and other sundries, Another tray can be utilized for the back of the box by removing the lower cross drawer unit inverting it and refuting on hinges at rear of box, Believ it or not, not many owners know this can be done.
As for internal legs, these can be changed for longer old cut down preston ones, same size asbos box legs, at the rear of the box there is a brolly holder, this is fine with a 45" brolly.
There is plenty of drawer space, the internal box acts as a cooler box.
Only drawer back is you know you have been sat on one after 5 hours, people say they are heavy , the point of balance with the strap counteracts this,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have recently sold a 6 Drawer Boss Box, with pole seat, footplate with 4 long legs instead of 2 and 2 short lugs, and a side tray and wheel kit. And full width half drawer, These are modular boxes, Very comfy , the wheel kit is a must if no barrow/shuttle system, The ASI and the Boss were the rolls Royce of boxes when they first came out.
I have kept the ASI which I know use as my canal box, I have a canal stool conversion custom made but never use it,
My main box is a PI Inception, I have put a 750mm leg on left hand rear corner of box, this gives me option of multiple attachments on one leg, also puts side tray at a height were I dont have to reach down for items .

Paste paul

Reaction score
The ASI has internal legs, that is not a problem, mine has a groundbait tray which clips on the side, this is large enough for bait boxes, disgorgers and other sundries, Another tray can be utilized for the back of the box by removing the lower cross drawer unit inverting it and refuting on hinges at rear of box, Believ it or not, not many owners know this can be done.
As for internal legs, these can be changed for longer old cut down preston ones, same size asbos box legs, at the rear of the box there is a brolly holder, this is fine with a 45" brolly.
There is plenty of drawer space, the internal box acts as a cooler box.
Only drawer back is you know you have been sat on one after 5 hours, people say they are heavy , the point of balance with the strap counteracts this,

Great bit of info ........ thank you.....
I’m definitely going to try and source one .....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Expect to pay around £50 depending on condition. If you want to change the seat, there is a place at Southport called custom seats, if you google it ,it will show you different styles of seat, they do them for all makes of seatbox.
I have kept mine original.
I am on my 2nd ASI box, I sold my first one around 1990, then bought present one about 5 years ago. If you are on facebook ,have a look at the buy and sell on there , a friend got one for a good price last year.

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
Expect to pay around £50 depending on condition. If you want to change the seat, there is a place at Southport called custom seats, if you google it ,it will show you different styles of seat, they do them for all makes of seatbox.
I have kept mine original.
I am on my 2nd ASI box, I sold my first one around 1990, then bought present one about 5 years ago. If you are on facebook ,have a look at the buy and sell on there , a friend got one for a good price last year.
Thank you.........

Paste paul

Reaction score
Had a look on eBay
£150....£200.......£250
Pretty pricey .......
I’ll keep an eye on Facebook and be patient

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
There are a couple of styles and colours,
Some have a pole seat, some flat seat, front drawer and cross drawer combinations
Mine is original flat seat with 2 cross drawers,
Try and get one with screw on pole rest at side ,and the groundbait tray . The lift up holders at the side will take a 3 pint bait box or ice cream tubs .

Paste paul

Reaction score
Right I managed to source a side draw box......
The guy wanted £15 for it but he threw in some pole floats which must be worth more than that......
It’s really ratty but I though if I don’t like it I’ve not lost much and if I do I can pick a better one up when one comes along.......

So I’ve had to replace the seat as this has had it ...... it was a pole seat version ....
I basically cut a piece of ply to the correct size I had some bits in my garage ...... I’ve kept the sponge and bought some vynle to cover it £9.......
It’s not the prettiest job in the world but at least it’s usable....
I freed the legs up and they are ok....
The tray had some holes in the corner as did the main box ..... I had a fibre glass kit left over from another project so I’ve repaired the holes.......
I had some blue paint again left over from something or other so I’ve given it a coat of paint.......
I’ve sanded the draws glued them together and varnished them .....
One of the brackets on the side that hold the tray was busted of so I’ve riveted it back on ........
All in all it looks ok and is fully serviceable......
I’ve just got the finished touches to do then I’ll post a picture but please don’t laugh !!!!!!!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Right I managed to source a side draw box......
The guy wanted £15 for it but he threw in some pole floats which must be worth more than that......
It’s really ratty but I though if I don’t like it I’ve not lost much and if I do I can pick a better one up when one comes along.......

So I’ve had to replace the seat as this has had it ...... it was a pole seat version ....
I basically cut a piece of ply to the correct size I had some bits in my garage ...... I’ve kept the sponge and bought some vynle to cover it £9.......
It’s not the prettiest job in the world but at least it’s usable....
I freed the legs up and they are ok....
The tray had some holes in the corner as did the main box ..... I had a fibre glass kit left over from another project so I’ve repaired the holes.......
I had some blue paint again left over from something or other so I’ve given it a coat of paint.......
I’ve sanded the draws glued them together and varnished them .....
One of the brackets on the side that hold the tray was busted of so I’ve riveted it back on ........
All in all it looks ok and is fully serviceable......
I’ve just got the finished touches to do then I’ll post a picture but please don’t laugh !!!!!!!!

I am going to get my seat re done, will get upholstery place to do it, I didnt paint mine ,maybe because I didnt need it as such, i cleaned it up with some colour car wax, the groundbait tray got a dose of back to black silicone spray, the drawers a goold polish with a wood polish, i am going to repaint the catches black, paint chipped on a couple, also brolly holder,the hinges and alloy side plates and legs and pole holder,cleaned up with old brillo pad and 3 in 1 oil, wipe of then coat with matt varnish to prevent oxydization. This is ongoing at the moment.
If you dont like yours ,keep as spares when you get another, drawers etc are hard to come by, And for £15 you have a bargain. I would pay that just for drawers and groundbait tray. Did you get a pole holder ,?

Paste paul

Reaction score
I am going to get my seat re done, will get upholstery place to do it, I didnt paint mine ,maybe because I didnt need it as such, i cleaned it up with some colour car wax, the groundbait tray got a dose of back to black silicone spray, the drawers a goold polish with a wood polish, i am going to repaint the catches black, paint chipped on a couple, also brolly holder,the hinges and alloy side plates and legs and pole holder,cleaned up with old brillo pad and 3 in 1 oil, wipe of then coat with matt varnish to prevent oxydization. This is ongoing at the moment.
If you dont like yours ,keep as spares when you get another, drawers etc are hard to come by, And for £15 you have a bargain. I would pay that just for drawers and groundbait tray. Did you get a pole holder ,?

No pole holder I’m afraid or footplate.....
It’s just about finished now and isn’t too bad !!

Bit of a daft question
When you use the strap for carrying it do you have to remove it to open the draws ?