Trying out coarse fishing

Cornishman

Reaction score
I am an experienced shore angler from Cornwall as the name suggests.

I am currently in Manchester area (Denton) for 3 weeks on a training course and am looking to do a bit of river/canal fishing or anywhere I can chuck a lure.

I have just paid my license and visited a culvert I heard holds brown trout on the river Bollin. Are water levels low at the moment? only 2 and half foot at best so I didn't bother and thought I'd come and seek some advice. I have a 10-30g spinning rod loaded with 6lb mono. I have a selection of trout (mepps type) spinners, a few soft plastics and a shallow diving bass plug in my armoury (also my mullet gear so pencil floats and bbs) ideally I would love to catch Trout, Perch and pike.

I can offer a few tips for sea fishing in Cornwall in exchange :)

Cheers,

Tony

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Try devon and ondulating spoons. It catches the biggest trout.
Try nymph on a light toc rod. It always works.
For perch and pike, with this level of water then no doubt a weightless drachko rig with a sprat.

Ok, now you give me the tips to fish in your beautiful region. I've been only once but visited many places, and I remember how much I wanted to rent a kayak and search for seabass!

Cornishman

Reaction score
Try devon and ondulating spoons. It catches the biggest trout.
Try nymph on a light toc rod. It always works.
For perch and pike, with this level of water then no doubt a weightless drachko rig with a sprat.

Ok, now you give me the tips to fish in your beautiful region. I've been only once but visited many places, and I remember how much I wanted to rent a kayak and search for seabass!

What do you need to know? Do you have a particular area you would like to try? You don't need a kayak to get on the Bass they can be found very close in both on beaches and estuaries

john step

Reaction score
Here is the thing. Your heading is trying coarse fishing. There is a close season in England for coarse fishing on rivers. The first date you can fish is June 16th.
Canals and lakes are a different matter. Most can be fished all year I believe.
Make sure you have a wire trace as you dont want to get bitten off by a pike and leave your lure in it.
Light wire traces are available suitable for light lure fishing.
Try AGM TACKLE who I always find quick to respond.

There must be commercial fisheries to look up in that area. Practically all will have perch in them and so no pike to bother with a wire trace with.

Someone local to Denton on here may be able to advise. Tight lines.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Get a basic rod n reel float set up, few floats ,hooks etc , and go to the Cunneries at Irlam. Trafford angling supplies should be able to help,
What club are you in for the Bollin,?
Also steer clear of the Bridgewater Canal at Trafford Park unless there are at least 3 of you going, plus its club controlled as is all the Bridgewater canal upto there.
Give Sale Water Park a try for Pike, as far as I know it's still day ticket.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
What do you need to know? Do you have a particular area you would like to try? You don't need a kayak to get on the Bass they can be found very close in both on beaches and estuaries

The idea is to secure a good plan for a fishing trip, so a few hot areas combined to known times of the year & weather conditions would be a good start.

I have to drive to a hospital in Plymouth, a long way but it's not easy to find a proper surgeon in UK, if they confirm I'd plan for a longer stay :). I was on both coasts when I visited. On the south, Polperro, Fowey, Austell, this sort of towns which remain away from cities and their logistics issues are very attractive.

Anyway, perhaps there should be a thread on Cornwall somewhere, so I don't mess with your initial questions here (sorry).