How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting how a number of us had a poor day, air pressure, recent long awaited rain?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Interesting how a number of us had a poor day, air pressure, recent long awaited rain?
This is just a guess but has the water temp dropped a bit, the nights have been cooler, it doesn't take much to put them off for a day or two while they acclimatize.

Reaction score
It's funny,I accept bad days,because it's fishing not catching,what I'm finding difficult is the number of blanks(or very near ones),where fish dont seem to be anywhere near my swim,yesterday the swim I fished was reed lined,with a tree overhanging to the right(with a shaded arch),7ft deep close in,dropping to 12ft and remaining flat at 12yds,I started on 0.14mm hooklength and a 16 hook(hoping for bream and tench),but changing down to 0.12mm and a 20 looking for a bite,the,amount of days ive caught roach,perch,gudgeon etc on 12/14's when fishing for bigger fish,so much so they were a nuisance,seven days fishing,with three blanks,three days with single fish is very poor,on most baits....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It's funny,I accept bad days,because it's fishing not catching,what I'm finding difficult is the number of blanks(or very near ones),where fish dont seem to be anywhere near my swim,yesterday the swim I fished was reed lined,with a tree overhanging to the right(with a shaded arch),7ft deep close in,dropping to 12ft and remaining flat at 12yds,I started on 0.14mm hooklength and a 16 hook(hoping for bream and tench),but changing down to 0.12mm and a 20 looking for a bite,the,amount of days ive caught roach,perch,gudgeon etc on 12/14's when fishing for bigger fish,so much so they were a nuisance,seven days fishing,with three blanks,three days with single fish is very poor,on most baits....

You could be getting useless at it:)

Reaction score
I am actually thinking that myself Mark,nodding head emoji here,the only good to come out of yesterday was meeting up with an old match fishing mate Steve Tyler,and we talked of meeting up in September for a days trouting at Grafham,sounds a plan....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a feeling that won't happen John for two reasons ; 1. I suspect that the fish are not there in the numbers claimed and 2. I doubt I will be going back.:(
BM had a habit one time of saying waters were stocked with a good head of fis, and in fact there were no fish in them.
A friend who suffered 3 blanks on a supposedly well stocked water, phoned the secretary of the time,and asked best way to fish it, he was told they hadn't stocked it yet, plus a couple of more waters they had acquired, How long have they had Bradley Pool,? Maybe they are seeing how it goes before adding more stock.
I am sure it was day ticket around 2018

mikench

Reaction score
It was a Crewe Pioneers water before BM took it over a couple of years ago. It wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if they haven't a clue and simply rely on a few carp seen cruising and anecdotes. When they do restock it with say 2,000 fish how does one really know if it was 2,000 or 200 without being present or seeing the invoice. Another of their waters is now a PAAS water and the jury is out on that one too.

I am sceptical sometimes and do know of waters with no silver fish but which have been allegedly restocked when I know they have not. I may be being grossly unfair on the water in question and it certainly deserves another chance but not yet not yet. :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It was a Crewe Pioneers water before BM took it over a couple of years ago. It wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if they haven't a clue and simply rely on a few carp seen cruising and anecdotes. When they do restock it with say 2,000 fish how does one really know if it was 2,000 or 200 without being present or seeing the invoice. Another of their waters is now a PAAS water and the jury is out on that one too.

I am sceptical sometimes and do know of waters with no silver fish but which have been allegedly restocked when I know they have not. I may be being grossly unfair on the water in question and it certainly deserves another chance but not yet not yet. :)
I was going to fish a match on there a couple of years ago with a British Legion club I guest wwith sometimes,word was going around then about low stock, so a different venue was booked.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I do know I am very skeptical of claims made by clubs, commercials, day ticket waters as to what fish they hold. You sometimes see this on boards on entrances to venues or on clubs cards etc. They may have held those fish once for example, one 2lb+ roach may have been caught 20 years ago for instance but may be not have a roach in it now, or at least to that stamp. I know one like that, a farm commercial, natural and I like it but there is one lake that is advertised as a mixed lake with a board on it with a list of such fish and all I see come of it are carp. It has probably been stocked with them for a long time and they have pushed the mixed fish out but it is still advertised as a good mixed fishery.
Sorry wrong thread but I am just pointing out if a fishery does not fish up to expectations this could be one reason for it.

I will start this as another thread in general fishing. maybe best.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My trip for carp off of the top went from bad to worse.

I decided to take a smaller bag and sorted my smaller tackle boxes into two piles. Things not needed on the trip, fake corn, lead leaders etc, were put to one side, run rings, swivels, link swivels etc were put ready to go. Only a total bloody idiot would put the wrong pile of bits into their bag, wouldn’t they?

So I reloaded my reel with 10lb Sensor before leaving home and headed off. The in-line controller has a swivel supplied, so I could still fish.

Unfortunately the wind had got up and was pushing the controller out of place plus there were only a few fish showing which is unusual in the evening, particularly in the swim I had chosen. So after the duck incident I broke the tackle down and set up an anchored crust. I used a weight of 2oz and ran the mainline directly through the loop on the weight. I slid a piece of rubber corn on the mainline with a baiting needle as a buffer bead and reused the controller swivel. The link from swivel to hook was 8lb 15oz Reflo. I had noticed a bit of movement near the island and cast to about three feet from the bank. About twenty minutes later a large pair of lips appeared and engulfed the matchbox sized lump of crust. I waited for the mainline to tighten and I was in. The fish headed off towards the nearest lily pads but I managed to turn it okay. The rod was a 2.5tc Freespirit, which is fairly forgiving. The fish was clearly a very decent size and about ten minutes later nearly ready for the net. As it came nearer I could see it was easily an upper twenty. When it was about fifteen feet from the bank it had a last surge towards the lilies to my left but it was tiring and I turned it easily. Net in the water ready and ping, gone. I reeled in and checked the line and there was a clean break, no roughness or signs of chaffing. That was my only take of the evening and on the way home I thought about what could have gone wrong.

I always thoroughly test my knots and I am as sure as I can be that it didn’t break at the knot. The fish was well off the bottom and there were no snags in the immediate vicinity, neither did the line snag during the fight. I think that putting the line directly through the eye caused the problem. Maybe there was a sharp sprue or seam from the mould inside the loop on the weight and it was the weight bouncing on the taut line that cut it. According to the Tackle Box line chart, 10lb sensor breaks at about 16lb, so is totally underrated and should never have broken. Bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetthrough

Reaction score
I can't speak for the particular lines you were using but quite a lot of line will break away from the knot. Some lines are almost guaranteed to. Sensor 4lb doesn't, it invariably breaks at the knot but there's no guarantee that the 10lb will behave the same.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I can't speak for the particular lines you were using but quite a lot of line will break away from the knot. Some lines are almost guaranteed to. Sensor 4lb doesn't, it invariably breaks at the knot but there's no guarantee that the 10lb will behave the same.

The line shouldn’t have broken when it did. It was under less than half of the pressure than it was earlier, which is why I think the weight cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullet

Reaction score
Since the end of lockdown, I've been getting out on my local stretch with the fly, it's been hard going, as the water is extremely low and clear and the fly hatches have been sporadic.
Yesterday evening, a few fish were showing, and a small black dry fly was tempting a few small brownies.
It also tempted a rather nice fit looking Chub, which obviously hasn't heard of the close season!

IMG_20200609_205808227.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I took the dogs for a walk over the fields behind our house recently and checked up on a small overgrown pond which is the remains of an old bell mine. The reeds and weed are encroaching across it making the clear water less and less! Shame as on the odd occasion that I have fished it over the last 25yrs I have had some rudd up to a pound in weight, perch to around the same size and some super little tench up to 1 1/2 pounds. There is a very lightly trodden public footpath that goes quite close to the pool so I try not to fish it very often as no one knows fish exist in there. I would imagine the walk would put most people off anyhow, even if they knew fish were present. I do keep thinking of wading into the pond and pulling up as many reeds as needed to free some space for the fish, and possibly raking out a lot of the weed but to be honest, I don't fancy dissapearing through a bed of silt into and mine shaft!
Anyhow, I had an hour today fishing it today and did catch loads of small rudd and perch. I may have caught a tinca if i'd fished on but I heard someone walking along the path and decided to melt away into the undergrowth before they noticed me. I'm happier to do that than give the pools secret away as I know the little oasis of life would be wrecked in no time at all.
Here's my tackle for the session....

ian g

Reaction score
Back on the Montgomery canal again last night , I found a spot with a little bit of depth around 3ft . I fed ground bait some hemp and maggots an fished maggots . This is a lovely place to be the canal is clear and not used by boats so very peaceful . Only problem is I'm struggling to get to grips with it . Three hours last night resulted in a skimmer, an eel and a few small roach . I was targeting tench but know showed up . Plus points the weather was better than forecast with just a short shower which was good as my brolly was at home though erecting a brolly on the canal bank isn't easy.