Complete novice

Quirkyname

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the lockdown, not being able to work and having a silly amount of time on my hands I’ve been wanting to get into fishing. I used to fish a little bit when I was 12 catching fish like roach and perch, fast forward 20 years into the future and I have no idea how to get started again!

I want to be float fishing for roach and perch again, what should I be looking for when it comes to kit?

Also, what is the general etiquette when fishing? How close can I fish to someone else? If someone tells me they’ve pre-baited the area I’m in should I give up the spot?

If anyone could share some advice that would be greatly appreciated, I live near the Thames so I'll be fishing on that.

chrissh

Reaction score
Welcome to FM

12- 13ft float or match rod, 2500 size reel loaded with 4lb line

A selection of waggler floats (or Stick, Loafers and Avon if the river has a fast flow)

Hook size 16,18

18-22” landing net

3m landing net handle

Shot

Disgorger

Scissor, forceps, knife

Towel

Bait catapult

Bait boxes

Bank sticks and rod rests

Tackle bag or back pack (seat box if you don’t want a chair)

Other bit of kit you can pick up later if and when you need them

bread and meat punches

Umbrella

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Chris has provided a comprehensive list of the basic tackle you will need which you can add to. Nobody has a right to a swim and they cannot be reserved at least on waters I fish. If the peg is empty you sit down and fish .

You might start with one rod and one reel but this is the first step of 1000 mile journey. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Welcome to the forum, where near the Thames are you.
Tackle advice I would give you is buy the best you can afford, You dont have to go over the top price wise, there are some good rods and reels out there .Have a look at the Daiwa ninja reels, and rods, also Garbolino do good rods at a good price,
If there is a tackle shop local to you, go in there and ask their advice as well If they want your custom they will give you good advice and not try to sell inferior tackle.
As for fishing next to someone there is normally 10 yard distance on most waters.
And as Mike says no one can move you off a pre baited swim,

Quirkyname

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, really helpful.
I'll take a walk down to the tackle shop up the road from me and see what advice they can give also.
I'm by the Twickenham part of the Thames.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome,etiquette on the bank is good,some don't reciprocate though...

Paste paul

Reaction score
It really does depend on a lot of things........
But if I was you I’d try and pick up some second hand gear and have a go first......
I’ve found you can always sell it on if you upgrade and you don’t lose a lot of money......
Also resist impulse buying the kit just sits in the shed !
It’s even worth sitting behind someone for an hour (if they will let you) and watching them ask a few questions it’s very helpful.....
Lastly remember it’s not the tackle that catches the fish it’s the angler.....
I fished a match a few years ago and an old guy rocked up with a cane rod it and an eye missing ... he had a few floats and an old Mitchell reel ( you know where this is going)
Yep he won the match beating guys that had thousands of pounds worth of gear.....
By the way I’m not saying go and buy a cane rod ???

David Gane

Reaction score
Welcome,etiquette on the bank is good,some don't reciprocate though...

I couldn't agree more.

Some little things that I'd view as etiquette, although there are no central rules written anywhere that I know of:

Saving vacant pegs for mates
Hammering stakes into the ground the moment people arrive.
Radios without earphones - ever.
Being a noisy neighbour generally
Dogs or kids on the loose
Casting into other anglers' swims
Leaving behind rubbish
Leaving gates open - ever
Over-baiting swims
Lure fishing too close to other anglers
Drones
Poor fish handling and killing fish for the pot (or pike because you are frightened of them)
Frying bacon when the wind is in my direction!