Hi all , new to site and looking for rig advice

Reaction score
Hi all, new to site so thought I would introduce myself, my name is Adam and have been fishing for several years now and recently started big bait fishing for perch - dead baits and live - minnows to small roach. So far had some success with my biggest so far being 1lb 6 oz but keep feeling am doing something wrong. Rig I have been using is a 10g bobber with a floatstop and bead above down to a small sinker and a swivel to a trace with a single hook - either a size 4 or a 6 or a size 4/0 circle hook. Can anybody offer some advice or even somewhere bigger fish could be located in the north west - Liverpool area ? Thanks in advance and appreciate your help pic is of the perch I caught from local lake but not sure if there is any bigger would like to hit the 2lb mark
B1B74785-EFDB-493D-8EE1-EEFB897406D8.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome Adam to the forum. I too have a desire to catch a decent sized perch but haven't got near to 1lb yet. Have a look at your local canals as they are known to have some large perch. Some clubs like Warrington have many miles of canals to go at. I've recently started to visit them and feel I'm going to catch a few.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Welcome Adam, I know you said Liverpool area, but I know of 2 commercials that have big perch in them, prawn or lobworm is a good bait on both of them.
One is Lloyd's Meadow near Frodsham.
The other is Hampton Springs near Malpas .
To fish the Bridgewater Canal you would have to join Warrington Anglers, first year cost is £100,
Lymm AC do a canal only ticket which covers the Bridgewater canal around runcorn and the Shropshire Union around beeston castle area and llangollen canal at Grindley brook. Both these stretches hold big perch.

Reaction score
Welcome Adam to the forum. I too have a desire to catch a decent sized perch but haven't got near to 1lb yet. Have a look at your local canals as they are known to have some large perch. Some clubs like Warrington have many miles of canals to go at. I've recently started to visit them and feel I'm going to catch a few.
What is your approach for them lure or bait ? As normally go with lures on the canals - been on the Leeds Liverpool cut and had a few up to a lb but don’t know if it’s just unfortunate luck or not targeting the correct spots.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Warrington do a canal only ticket. £25 senior and £5 junior.
Is that for all the Bridgewater from Preston Brook to Trafford Park, or just for Trafford Park area Gordon ,?
I know at one time they did a canal ticket for just theTrafford Park area for a similar price,available from Trafford Angling .
Adam, I would check on live bait rules with WAA, if you are thinking of joining, some clubs do not allow it.

wetthrough

Reaction score
It doesn't specify on the web site and there's nothing in the rule book that excludes any part, except of course, sections controlled by other clubs. Nothing in the rule book about not using live bait.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I gave my WAA card up last year Gordon. 58 years I was a member. Couldn't justify paying £50 a year for possibly a few times use now I am in Oxford. I will keep Lymm card going ,only because I can take the grandkids on it.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Warrington do a canal only ticket. £25 senior and £5 junior.

Just having looked at the WA web site and it seems the ticket is just for the Leigh>Broadheath section "
Which cover the Bridgewater Canal from the A580 road bridge Leigh through to Broadheath bridge Altrincham and the Kraft Arm
" The Kraft arm is somewhere in Manchester.

Haz

Veteran Angler
Reaction score
Hi all, new to site so thought I would introduce myself, my name is Adam and have been fishing for several years now and recently started big bait fishing for perch - dead baits and live - minnows to small roach. So far had some success with my biggest so far being 1lb 6 oz but keep feeling am doing something wrong. Rig I have been using is a 10g bobber with a floatstop and bead above down to a small sinker and a swivel to a trace with a single hook - either a size 4 or a 6 or a size 4/0 circle hook. Can anybody offer some advice or even somewhere bigger fish could be located in the north west - Liverpool area ? Thanks in advance and appreciate your help pic is of the perch I caught from local lake but not sure if there is any bigger would like to hit the 2lb mark View attachment 9628
Hi Adam. My most successful perch catches, up to 3lb, have been when not solely fishing for them. I like to sneak up on ponds just as it's coming light and present a large worm just off the bottom and always at the side of the pond facing the wind. I've caught specimine everything by this method.

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to target the Perch on the Grand Union Canal not far from Watford by catching small gudgeon and minnows on a size 10 or 12 hook and 2lb to 3lb line on a Perch Bob Float then repositioning the hook so that the hook point was not masked and then just swing the small gudgeon or minnow out into a shoal of 1lb to 2,5lb-ish Perch which regularly hovered around an outlet from a smallish stream which entered the canal beneath the tow path there.
I had to keep low and out of sight as much as was possible but I would often catch 5 or 6 of these large perch before they started to wise up or someone came along to see what I was doing and scared the shoal away.

I would not use a big hook for them as I’ve been told that the Perch has some important organs fairly close to the roof of its mouth near the back which could be pierced if too large a hook is used.

Keith

Last edited: