How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. It's a stupid, slow and pointless method of sailing. Kayaks I get but those no. I was brassed off with long boats and cyclists on the canal but those bods would have really p***** me off.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The problem being Mark,often you can't even fish when they come by,especially on weedy rivers,so they aren't giving you the same consideration of your enjoyment,as I say ****s!!!
Ho I understand but is not the solution to let them have days and anglers theirs. Would that not solve the problem everywhere when it is necessary to apply?

Reaction score
Trouble is,they obey no rules and would still continue with impunity,on the D.Stour there are signs saying no boats above this point,do the ****s take any notice,at least thirty times a day they don't!

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Trouble is,they obey no rules and would still appead with impunity,on the D.Stour there are signs saying no boats above this point,do the ****s take any notice,at least thirty times a day they don't!
OK you have persuaded me I wont think live and let live anymore I will think what you think "I say ****s!!! " :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm slightly embarrassed to post about my day on the river yesterday,I got there early and got one of the flyers(out of two)and caught so many barbel between 3-7lbs that I am not going to put the number in print,needless to say i'm shattered(too much for a 66 year old,lol),I had two very large roach in the peg,I did have one decent dace,but the barbel were hossing the other species out,even carp,several times two barbel barged carp much bigger than them out of the feed area...just to add,you need to make hay while the sunshines because opportunities to fish these pegs are rarer than hens teeth,lol...

Sounds great Alan, and i'm not dissing your angling skill in any way :).
To be able to catch so many barbel and other fish from the same swims every day, over and over again in such a small river the club must be filling it in with fish regularly? The fish must be short on natural food and be relying on anglers baits or they would be much wider spread and feed elsewhere surely?
The waters I fish can produce some realy good days but after several or more sessions of good fishing in a swim the shoals move on and go elsewhere. No way could you keep hamerring fish like that without them doing a dissapearing act.
Don't get me wrong, it must be good to know that you'll have a busy session if you can get in one of those pegs !
As you say "make hay while the sun shines" I know I would lol.

Reaction score
No stockings Ian,barbel,breeding successfully,loads of fish of other species,fish are fed every day by anglers,these two swims are by far and away the best on the short stretch which has very shallow water above and below it and ive never seen it flood,barbel are on other pegs but not in large numbers,normal fishing,the water quality must be good to hold such amounts of quality fish,which is odd as a big water treatment plant lies just a few miles upstream,when you think the Gt.Ouse has some beautiful looking stretches,but far fewer fish,it seems odd...just to add I was a member of this club 18/20 years ago,it was full of barbel then,three pegs were really good,two of them are todays flyers.
Funnily I used to be a member of a club that owned a stretch some miles downstream,that had good numbers of barbel too,46 was my best catch,these were smaller,but it was quite a while ago,but it didn't have the numbers of chub,roach and dace in it,also there were barbel in most pegs,but four swims stood head and shoulders above the others...

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No stockings Ian,barbel,breeding successfully,loads of fish of other species,fish are fed every day by anglers,these two swims are by far and away the best on the short stretch which has very shallow water above and below it and ive never seen it flood,barbel are on other pegs but not in large numbers,normal fishing,the water quality must be good to hold such amounts of quality fish,which is odd as a big water treatment plant lies just a few miles upstream,when you think the Gt.Ouse has some beautiful looking stretches,but far fewer fish,it seems odd...just to add I was a member of this club 18/20 years ago,it was full of barbel then,three pegs were really good,two of them are todays flyers.
Funnily I used to be a member of a club that owned a stretch some miles downstream,that had good numbers of barbel too,46 was my best catch,these were smaller,but it was quite a while ago,but it didn't have the numbers of chub,roach and dace in it,also there were barbel in most pegs,but four swims stood head and shoulders above the others...

All I can add is that that river is very unusual in it being so small and having such a fantastic head of fish, and of various species also!
I wish I had similar near to me :).

I'm curious, what is the substrate?

john step

Reaction score
Not posted since the new format. Life goes on. I have had a few unsuccessful attempts at river tench. My mate seems to catch them so I will keep trying.
I have been more successful with the carp both big boys carping and more stocked waters with a new method to me, the hybrid feeder on a new feeder rod. Quite exhilarating when the tip smashes round. Barbelling not going so well.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
12 of us fished the club fixture today on the Aylesbury arm, another very weedy affair with nuisance boats making it worse...I had the best results on single disco pinkie on a 22 B511 to 0:06 bottom. Pole down the track over groundbait.

BD89B147-185C-4F1F-AF86-836EF28895E1.jpeg

F41711EE-37F5-498F-9BB0-1AB105D10A16.jpeg

I was weighed in first with 2:4:8 of mainly roach to 3oz and led the field until the final peg had 2oz more than me...

A3725D95-A5BA-4703-8CB3-B8FC889B510D.jpeg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They seem to have infested the country, my favourite spot fishing the Stour at Grove Ferry and Fordwich is now impossible after 10am

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
12 of us fished the club fixture today on the Aylesbury arm, another very weedy affair with nuisance boats making it worse...I had the best results on single disco pinkie on a 22 B511 to 0:06 bottom. Pole down the track over groundbait.

View attachment 9756

View attachment 9757

I was weighed in first with 2:4:8 of mainly roach to 3oz and led the field until the final peg had 2oz more than me...

View attachment 9758
You would catch more if you stayed on your box instead of taking pics ?
Only joking, nice catch .

steve2

Reaction score
Some of the catches of barbel,chub and other fish I read about on here wouldn't be out of place on a commercial water. There must be more barbel in some of the swims than there are in the whole of Essex. Only wish I had fishing like this near me.

Reaction score
The river is exceptional,but when I first fished the Windrush in Oxfordshire that had big populations of good fish,mainly chub,but good roach,perch and barbel,the Ivel is slightly bigger in width but had loads of chub(i've had many big catches,over twenty fish from one swim),bream,big roach,perch dace and very large barbel,with a fair population,the river rises a short distance from my home and regularly suffers minor pollution,I myself have rung the EA three times.Whatever makes these rivers like they are I don't know,but how many barbel were in the middle Severn back in the day,I had many catches of over fifty fish,biggest catch was eighty eight,there must have been carpets of them,over the years i've seen some fantastic fishing on many rivers,didn't ever think why it was so good,just kept catching....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Went to two spots yesterday, Under the Trent Bridge north bank and then on Nottingham canal.

Trent Bridge was snaggy as all hell but pulled a nice perch out of there but in the heat of the moment (the moment being I caught a fish after 6 years of not fishing and it was a decent sized perch lol) forgot to snap a pic of it. Spent another hour or so around the bridge but only thing that happened was lost a lure to the snag (BE CAREFUL OF THE WEEDS!)

Nottingham canal also claimed a lure (my two favourite lures claimed in one day...) but caught this little chappy, Was worried wouldn't get the treble out since he'd got each hook in him and they weren't moving but a little gentle easing got it out. A quick antibiotic spray and a pic and he was back off in the water!

Fishy.jpg

Reaction score
All I can add is that that river is very unusual in it being so small and having such a fantastic head of fish, and of various species also!
I wish I had similar near to me :).

I'm curious, what is the substrate?

The river is classed as a chalkstream as it rises through chalk,once several miles from the source it is based on gravel,i've said this on an earlier post on this thread,I feel blessed to see such fish swimming,feeding in front of me,giving me a possibility of catching such fish as the big roach and dace and that is all it is because they are cute,these are few in number,but you wouldn't expect there to be loads of them...

rayner

Reaction score
It's official I'm definitely cracking up I started reading this thread today from, wait for it, page one. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not being able to fish. I thought what's wrong Peter Crabtree posts and no photos.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
After preparing tackle and buries last night ready for today I was determined to go.
Loaded the car with half the tackle shop I normally take.
Got to Newlands my chosen venue. Set seatbox on platform and fitted a couple of attachments, It was nice calm day as I was setting margin pole up first, 3 topkits were assembled and rigs added, floats were Drennan clear margin floats on two of them and a Drennan tuff eye on the other, 2 floats were on 0.21 reflo to 16 hooks. The other was on 0.16 .all shot were placed 4" above the hook to give positive bite detection.
I primed the margins, the one to my left in 3' of water with a couple of good handfuls of sweetcorn.2 swims to my right in 4' and 5' of water were primed with Dynamite baits mighty marine groundbait, a few soft 6mm marine soft hookers were added to the 4 ' swim and a few 8km drilled marine pellets to the 5' swim
By now a decent breeze had got up, so the pellet waggler rod and feeder rod stayed in bags.
Went over the left margin with corn on the set up with yellow bungee hoping for some decent silvers that normally reside there.
Float dips, fish on, not a silver but a carp. Took off at a rate of knots and I lost it, This happened 3 times. So that topkit went up the bank and the pink bungee set up was brought into play, reset float from 4' to 3' and put more corn in. As this was settling down, I went on to right margin swims with red bungee set up. On with an 8mm soft hooker in 5' swim while fed more groundbait and 6mm hookers in 4' swim. Slight knock on the float, lift into it and a carp is making a break for freedom.
Netted this one at 6lbs, I had a total of 8 carp, 6 from right margins and 2 from left. Ranging between 5lbs and 11lbs
Packed up after 4 hours, and an enjoyable day.