Monument Ultimate medium feeder 11/13

hague01

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Any one for whom this rings any bells. I just got it from a pal who in turn only just got it.. It is black, has a daiwa infinity armlock style cork handle, 3 legged stainless rings save tips . Cracking condition and need some background if at all possible. Looks very diawa'ish. Used it yesterday as an 11,and it casts well.
Hope someone can help. I suspect it was an own label for someone. Cheers Alec

Reaction score
Never heard of these mate,unusual...

hague01

Reaction score
Many thanks Guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
I have seen several 11/13 rods on ebay and the Abu / Shakespeare seems quite similar. The reel clamp for example. The handle is pure daiwa armlock but quite stocky. I am told 10/15 years ago Shakespeare did quite a few own label rods for tackle shops. Apparently that is a service Fox still offer provided the order is not less than 100 rods.
I actually caught on it on Friday on a match lake. I would say it falls into the fast action category which is different from any of the later made rods I have. Its nice and solid so I will keep it as a stand bye and keep looking. The 3 legged rings alone suggest it wasn't a bargain basement job.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The patent on the Daiwa Armlock handle expired fairly recently. A similar style of handle no longer hints at a rod having anything to do with Daiwa. Both Preston and Colmic have put such handles on recent rod ranges.

hague01

Reaction score
Thanks Sam.
The rod is I am sure 10/15 years old. The handle is definitely shaped like the armlock. I first had it on an 2010 infinity barbel but it was slimmer. Its even smaller still on my aventus guru's. I don't know if daiwa did own labels back in those days. Maybe I will give them a call and find out. I think its an import, to a UK design, jet shinny black as the infinities originally were too. I will try and put a photo up, if I can find where I put the coal in my camera. I really appreciate you taking the effort guys!

hague01

Reaction score
hope this works. Wow, I am not as stupid as I look.

Attachments

• mon 1.jpg
    mon 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 236
  • mon 2.jpg
    mon 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 176

sam vimes

Reaction score
Daiwa have occasionally supplied blanks to custom rod builders. I've only ever heard of it happening with carp rods, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't with others. I'd not heard anything overt about Daiwa making complete rods for other brands until the Guru rods turned up, but that doesn't mean it has never happened. Whether Daiwa will admit to it if they did is another matter entirely.

The handle and reel seat of your rod looks similar to the original Tournament (TD-X) rods. I've never seen the Daiwa Tournament reel seat on anything but Daiwa rods before. I'm not entirely convinced it is a Tournament reel seat, but they seem to have made an effort to make it (and the handle/Union Flag) look similar.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have heard of monument rods before, I really can't remember where it was though.

The rod pictured looks like they've tried to copy daiwas tourny handle and seat, but, there are a few subtle differences.
An obvious one is the length of the forend cork, which is longer than on a daiwa rod. Another is the exagerrated waist just above the armlock....i'm sure they weren't so deeply waisted on daiwa rods.

hague01

Reaction score
It's getting interesting chaps. The reel seat I have seen on an abu

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that the look and name are not exactly a coincidence. I doubt that they had Daiwa's permission or that Daiwa made them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just looking on google and there is a carp fishery with the name "monument lales".
I wonder if there might be a connection between the fishery and the rods?

hague01

Reaction score
I emailed monument lakes when my pal showed me the rod a few months ago but they never replied. Maybe a phone call will be better. Fishing today so that and daiwa are on the list for tomorrow. My money is on Shakespeare as an own label. If it was daiwa I think the " designed in UK" wouldn't b there, rather " made in" but could be to hide their connection. Intriguing.

hague01

Reaction score
the penny has just dropped Sam. Sorry, I am old!.
The "ultimate monument", and copy flag logo, yes, that will give me something to ponder today , sitting under an umbrella

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Without looking at my old Daiwa rods I would say the union flag logo is at 90 degrees to the one shown on that blank.Also made in uk ,not designed in uk.
As for monument lakes, I think they are in Shropshire with large carp stocked, Rob Hales may have something to do with them.So I would doubt them commissioning a feeder rod,
Have you tried phoning Ultimate tackle ? I know they do seatboxes and a few accessories, not sure on rods.

I am sure at one time I had a multi length Leeda Blue Diamond rod that had a flattened cork handle on it.Maybe a call to Wychwood may help.

hague01

Reaction score
A good idea. I know Bruce who launched wychwood but I think the rod is after hem selling out. I will try ultimate tackle tomorrow thanks

hague01

Reaction score
Your are a genius Markcw. Ultimate seem now to be a subsidiary of preston but they have confirmed that the previous owners did buy and sell their own label rods. Now i am looking for the previous owner. This could keep me busy over the winter. Ha, thanks for all your help so far guys. Anyone know who previously owned them? I emailed bruce who formed Wychwood this morning and he may know of them Cheers again