Maggot substitute?

Keith M

Reaction score
Have to get my maggots from Willy Worms. They come in sawdust but as I cannot get any maize meal to put them in can I riddle off dust and put some groundbait in them...?

When fishing in a club team match; after giving them a good clean; if I can’t find any maizmeal in the supermarket or the tackle shop then I occasionally put my maggots in soft bran flakes to keep them dry and stop them from starting to smell of ammonia.

Keith

Last edited:

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
Dead isn't my preference but they do work. I think the worm approach already suggested would get you some action and pinkies often get something feeding. Even if it is just micro perch.
I fish with bread a lot. Once I got confident with it I often use nothing else. Well hemp is always a good attractor and holding bait even if you don't use it on the hook.
I used to feel I had to take maggots. Anything else was back up. Not having any definitely would not put me off going any more.
Good advice thanks , it seems that bread could actually get the substitute I'm looking for . Cheap , easy to get hold of , pleasant to use . I am even allowed to put it in the freezer ?. Any tips on how to prepare it and present it on the hook ?

bullet

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the degree hours thing with maggots, I've sometimes had maggots in my bait fridge for 6 to 8 weeks.
After this time they're a bit smaller, but still mainly maggots, still wriggle and still catch fish.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Re bread: I can't copy and paste on this dungwit tablet thing, but if you put "challah" into this site's search box it will take you to the " Wet Bread" thread which should help a lot. For bread punch, google "Fred Davis bread punch" and you should find one of the best articles I've ever read on the subject.

Keith M

Reaction score
Re bread: I can't copy and paste on this dungwit tablet thing, but if you put "challah" into this site's search box it will take you to the " Wet Bread" thread which should help a lot. For bread punch, google "Fred Davis bread punch" and you should find one of the best articles I've ever read on the subject.

Here’s a link to the Keith Speer ‘Wet Bread’ and how to get the best from it post:

Keith

rubio

Reaction score
That article is best thing since sliced bread. Will tell you what you need to know better than anything I could say.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Keeping lots of reptiles, I am going to try using mealworms as a bait when tier 4 relaxes for me to get out. Easy supply from pet shop, they haven't had to close yet.They are difficult to keep on the hook sometimes though. As regards the bread, have been making various flavoured breadpastes (tumeric etc) and freezing it for future use. Just started off a wormey for use in the future months, hopefully will provide a lot of 'free' bait when they multiply.
Good cheese paste recipe here - again freezeable.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Keeping lots of reptiles, I am going to try using mealworms as a bait when tier 4 relaxes for me to get out. Easy supply from pet shop, they haven't had to close yet.They are difficult to keep on the hook sometimes though. As regards the bread, have been making various flavoured breadpastes (tumeric etc) and freezing it for future use. Just started off a wormey for use in the future months, hopefully will provide a lot of 'free' bait when they multiply.
Good cheese paste recipe here - again freezeable.

I used mealworms a lot when I used to fish in Belgium. I thought they stayed on a barbed hook very well. They seem to die quickly though and were quite good for catching trout as they are fairly large and easily seen. Mind you rainbow trout will eat pretty well anything you care to put in front of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk