angling trust statement

Aknib

Reaction score
Just got an email from the EA, and it states "The government has announced that fishing is permitted as a form of exercise". I never thought I would see the day fishing described as exercise. No, I don't want to start that argument all over again but I cant help finding it absurd as a statement.

Yeah I received that one too Mark, for anyone who hasn't seen it...

ea1.JPG

ea2.JPG

Reaction score
Yes,it totally gets up my nose that all these people Gov.uk,the EA,and the EA all showing the same drivel,which promises much and explains little,not one of these organisations can see the ambiguity of the statments being made,so sadly none really deserve a halfpenny of our money,they must be ffffing thick.....oh no,sorry I must be not being able to decipher it....

mikench

Reaction score
Never look a gift horse in the mouth. It's legitimate and worthwhile carrying very little risk if you keep your distance. In my view it is excercise in fresh air and if I choose to go I will. Exercise and being out is as much a fillip for mental health as it is for physical well being. Nobody should feel awkward or guilty about going fishing if they can nor should we attempt to infer such feelings .. But for er indoors I'd be there. ;) ;)

Last edited:

Reaction score
I wouldn't feel guilty if they actually came out with something that is measurable instead of in my imagination,it seems the powers at be want to make all anglers think twice about going,with the bonus of making a few quid out of you through possible fines,which although Derbyshire police withdrew their demands of fines from the women,other forces announced yesterday they will fining more people,more often....

Reaction score
Never look a gift horse in the mouth. It's legitimate and worthwhile carrying very little risk if you keep your distance. In my view it is excercise in fresh air and if I choose to go I will. Excercise and being out is as much a fillip for mental health as it is for physical well being. Nobody should feel awkward or guilty about going fishing if they can nor should we attempt to infer such feelings .. But for er indoors I'd be there. ;) ;)
Quote:-

If you choose to go you will,I suppose that means to the water close to you Mike,we havevto be clear,because some here could possibly take that as a clear insinuation you might break the legal instructions...

Reaction score
My above post wouldn't allows my deletion,so as to get it set out properly,plus rephrasing certain parts,tried several different ways...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I believe you should use your own intelligence and do what you feel is right for you. After all that’s what our leaders do. Fleeing off to second homes, shaking hands with covid patients, taking bogus camping trips, ignoring social distancing and huddling about with colleagues, cross infecting each other, taking unnecessary trips to test their eyesight, going on lengthy cycle rides when your police force is nicking people for doing exactly the same thing on foot. You most definitely can’t say we are being led by good example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I agree with you Ray,but this is asking for the police forces to adopt your interpretation,something i've found they don't do very often!

chevin4

Reaction score
I believe you should use your own intelligence and do what you feel is right for you. After all that’s what our leaders do. Fleeing off to second homes, shaking hands with covid patients, taking bogus camping trips, ignoring social distancing and huddling about with colleagues, cross infecting each other, taking unnecessary trips to test their eyesight, going on lengthy cycle rides when your police force is nicking people for doing exactly the same thing on foot. You most definitely can’t say we are being led by good example.

I lot of these indiscretions occurred during the first lockdown. This variant is far more potent the virus is out of control in London.
Because people are selfish doesn't mean I should act the same.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I do think that a journey limit needs to be implemented, not only on anglers but also on, for example using your nearest supermarket for example. . . . .

In town the other day I saw people I know from villages at least 14 miles away and to get to town had to pass at least 3 alternatives . . . . .2 in a large village much closer, in fact half that distance.

As for letting the great British public use their own common sense, well, no thanks . .. I'll use my own.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I lot of these indiscretions occurred during the first lockdown. This variant is far more potent the virus is out of control in London.

I believe you should always use your own intelligence when taking advice from anybody over anything.

I wouldn’t take pension advice from Sir Philip Green, sartorial advice from Jeremy Corbyn, financial advice from Diane Abbott, childcare advice from Jimmy Saville or advice on contraception from Boris. I would initially look for trustworthy people.

So while I generally trust scientists I have far less faith in politicians and none at all in certain politicians. This is particularly so with those that are proven and well practised liars. I will treat whatever they have to say with mistrust and scepticism. I will listen to what they have to say then do what I think is best. If you blindly follow these people it comes as a shock when you find your goal isn’t their goal and their best interests aren’t the same as yours.

chevin4

Reaction score
I believe you should always use your own intelligence when taking advice from anybody over anything.

I wouldn’t take pension advice from Sir Philip Green, sartorial advice from Jeremy Corbyn, financial advice from Diane Abbott, childcare advice from Jimmy Saville or advice on contraception from Boris. I would initially look for trustworthy people.

So while I generally trust scientists I have far less faith in politicians and none at all in certain politicians. This is particularly so with those that are proven and well practised liars. I will treat whatever they have to say with mistrust and scepticism. I will listen to what they have to say then do what I think is best. If you blindly follow these people it comes as a shock when you find your goal isn’t their goal and their best interests aren’t the same as yours.

Yes Ray I would certainly trust the scientists rather than layman. I think if the scientists had their way the rules would be much stricter. I think Johnson is trying a avoid a full lockdown at all costs for political reasons.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Personally I do think that a journey limit needs to be implemented, not only on anglers but also on, for example using your nearest supermarket for example. . . . .

In town the other day I saw people I know from villages at least 14 miles away and to get to town had to pass at least 3 alternatives . . . . .2 in a large village much closer, in fact half that distance.

As for letting the great British public use their own common sense, well, no thanks . .. I'll use my own.

I have some, possibly many hospital appointments coming up. The hospital I will have to attend is just over fifty miles away. I will go whatever the restrictions, if possible. Likewise, I don’t use the nearest post office or supermarket. The nearest Post Office is huge but poorly laid out and the number or people entering is not controlled or monitored. The nearest supermarket doesn’t monitor the amount of people coming in either and nobody monitors if people have masks or sanitise their hands. I chose to use the other places because there is someone on the supermarket door handing out masks and making sure the store isn’t over crowded. Likewise the smaller Post Office only lets three people in the shop and only one at the Post Office counter. That’s what I mean by using your own intelligence, not a free for all.

mikench

Reaction score
We are totally different from the selfish morons who don't wear masks, attend illegal gatherings, don't socially distance and don't even self isolate. In other words those do not obey the rules and don't give a hoot for others. Those who fish are not breaking any rules, are not being antisocial and are entitled to do so. Doing an approved activity is totally different to an illegal one.

Who goes cycling in a suit and tie? A rhetorical ? For which the answer defies belief.

chevin4

Reaction score
We are totally different from the selfish morons who don't wear masks, attend illegal gatherings, don't socially distance and don't even self isolate. In other words those do not obey the rules and don't give a hoot for others. Those who fish are not breaking any rules, are not being antisocial and are entitled to do so. Doing an approved activity is totally different to an illegal one.

Who goes cycling in a suit and tie? A rhetorical ? For which the answer defies belief.
We should avoid unnecessary journeys simple really we either follow the guidelines or ignore them. My friends daughter works for the NHS huge disrespect if I go fishing which in the grand scheme of things is not important.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm sure we do. I haven't been in my car since early December and only took out my wife's on Monday for its MOT. I choose to shop on line as supermarkets are far more dangerous than being alone on the bank in the fresh air. I agree fishing isn't important and I haven't gone but can if I wish.

My neighbours daughter gave birth on the 23rd December 2020 to twins by Caesarean section. Whilst in hospital she and her babies contracted Covid. Hospitals are more dangerous than going fishing imo.

I anticipate the scientists will hold sway eventually and a total lockdown will ensue so no fishing or exercise as we are legally entitled to now. We must all do what we consider right and at least the discussion on this thread and others show that we care, use common sense and do what we feel comfortable with in testing circumstances. The same cannot be said for the populace at large. I'll bet there are hundreds of fans at the Liverpoolv United game on Sunday who don't give two hoots and will gather outside without being able to watch. If they had a brain they could sit safely and properly in their own home, have a beer and enjoy the game. I review the situation daily and after careful consideration, i modify what I feel comfortable with. I'm not seeing my daughters or my very weak father because I am not allowed to. I can go fishing though if I wish and good luck and tight lines to those who do and who comply with the rules.

theartist

Reaction score
My canal towpath was mad at the weekend with people trying to get past each other 99% of which didn't have any fishing gear.

If you can get to a water without passing people en route fishing is much safer than most other forms of recreation, my local towpath was a busy congested walkway at the weekend, whereas those fishing on the opposite bank who parked in the field behind would have come into contact with no one at all. A total contrast to those out walking, jogging and cycling on the towpath itself. Going for a walk would see you in closer proximity to others than fishing especially in London so can't understand why going fishing is getting some beef, all recreation should stop if so.

My missus is an NHS worker and as an angler myself I see fishing (responsibly, locally, distancing, using common sense etc) acceptable.

Fishing on a busy towpath is not a good idea though

Also see the logic behind those who are not going to wet a line acceptable as a personal choice.