How did you get on?

flightliner

Reaction score
I returned to the same water that I've been fishing for Bream yesterday.
The forecast was'nt good but I was up early and Lincoln bound by 7—30 am and on arrival saw two long stay anglers of my aquintance, one of them I knew so I made a quick call to say how he was goung on.
Steady but not hectic it seemed but apparently the grass around his bivvy was coverred with lobworms during the night on account of it being milder.
He had made hay by gathering some two dozen or so and keeping them in a bait box for future use, a top bait for many fish that I assumed he would be using at some future date.
I left for a top end of lake swim and it wasnt long setting up as my gear was the same as my last visit..
Rods out brolly up and a coffee poured and — pip pip pip — my first liner of the day.
A little later and my bread flake baited hook appealed to a very dark bream, a nice start.
No hectic time, far from it but two hours later my indicator lifted again and another Bream fell to the same baited rod.
The line bites were less frequent than my last visit but the fish were there and a third Bream followed some thirty minutes later.
My next bite was the same, nothing differsnt to the Bream but lifting the rod the fish felt heavier, and it was— one of the very few carp in the lake, it had fallen for the breadflake and in the shallow margins it was happey to chug around in circles with the odd short run, I saw it once when it rolled a few seconds before the hook slipped free.
I was'nt to upset, it might have made low double but the fight was almost done so no great loss, a bit like losing a smallish pike and not having to take the hooks out.
Two more Bream and a suspected carp that was hooked for a milllisecond (must tell my carp fishing friends about bread) and my day was almost over save for clearing my kit away.
My aquintance came by about that time and called me to his car to hand over all the lobworms he'd collected the night before which was really nice of him as I was beginning to fancy a change after three trips in a row.
I bought a plastic container today from the poundshop and filled it with wetted torn newspaper
(an old Daily Mail) that must be about the best thing it could have been used for.
I checked on the worms an hour ago and they're all fine.
No piks of the Bream as they're only the same as last time.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Blimey Jon,that was a porky ruffe,spawn perhaps???

Yesterday I ventured forth to the crucian venue,it was very cold and the wind seemed to come from every conceivable angle,anyway,I had five crucians,biggest 2lb 7ozs,scale count ?,2 mirrors to 5lb,six skimmers to 2lb 8ozs and 8 roach from 4-6ozs...

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Blimey Jon,that was a porky ruffe,spawn perhaps???

Yesterday I ventured forth to the crucian venue,it was very cold and the wind seemed to come from every conceivable angle,anyway,I had five crucians,biggest 2lb 7ozs,scale count ?,2 mirrors to 5lb,six skimmers to 2lb 8ozs and 8 roach from 4-6ozs...
Quite possibly - I must confess that didn't occur to me at the time, but given the time of year... I recall a Bailif at a former club not being a fan - he maintained that they feast on other fishes eggs once spawned and encouraged members to dispatch any that they caught. I doubt that many heeded that advice, I certainly didn't!

Rod McG

Reaction score
Couple hours after work at Broadwaters yesterday.
Fished a cage feeder with maggots and ground bait and 3 red maggots on the hook.
4 nice bream all around 4 pounds within 45 minutes, must have been a shoal there?
20210430_085114.png

This one had an interesting patch of scales....
20210430_084939.png

Also hooked this lead attached to braid, not sure what its purpose is..
20210430_135524.jpg

One small eel just before I packed up, nice evening all in all.

mikench

Reaction score
The next instalment of Gordon and Mike go fishing passed by without any regrets today as the weather was lovely early doors and the multi layers we were both wearing were unnecessary and slowly removed.

IMG_9802.JPG

We both float fished catching small roach, Rudd and humongous gudgeon from the off. It was our style of fishing, relaxed , regular and varied. Throw in a bit of banter and one had the makings of a thoroughly enjoyable day.

IMG_9804.JPG

Gordon can be seen , just, as we enjoyed the calm and mild weather. I had a common around 5lb and a small crucian
IMG_9800.JPG

Gordon then caught a couple of carp including this 7.5lb common.

IMG_9808.JPG

I'm not sure if it was the fish posing with Gordon or vice versa. Either way it was a lovely fish caught on the float with a size eighteeen hook to three pound hook length. A guy on the adjacent peg to Gordon who had just the one bite all day and lost it, packed up in disgust and went home. Well done Gordon and thanks for a great day. Strangely we both ended up honours even, not that we take it seriously, with thirty five fish apiece. I think we might just go again.

fishface1

Reaction score
Fished a cage feeder with maggots and ground bait and 3 red maggots on the hook.
4 nice bream all around 4 pounds within 45 minutes, must have been a shoal there?
View attachment 14573
View attachment 14574
View attachment 14575

The lead is for clearing weed. Not as good as an old fashioned rake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetthrough

Reaction score
A great day out with Mike today despite it taking me 7 hours to break the 2oz barrier!
Mike coaxing a nice Common into the net.

DNM_Mike_20210430_102829.jpg
A glorious day apart from a brief spell of rain and hail when the temperature dropped dramatically but it was soon over. The two Carp rounded off the day nicely after a succession of tiddlers.

DNM_Mirror_20210430_141732.jpg

Pete Shears

Reaction score
View attachment 14573
View attachment 14574
View attachment 14575
Its a weed clearing lead,I think Fox make them.

bracket

Reaction score
The last couple of weeks I have harkened back to a method I used in my early teens, when the Trent was in flood and I was confined to canal fishing. Seven thirty this morning found me at a local club lake. The lake is stuffed with carp, but there is also a good head of silver fish, so I picked an open peg around 5ft deep and with no features, to try my luck for some skimmers. I used a tried and trusted twenty year old Diawa pole at 10m, with a 0.9gr home made float and away we went. First put in produced this:
DSC_0017.JPG

which I was happy with as it has been sometime since I used bread punch.
DSC_0035.JPG

I caught several roach and skimmers:
DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

Plus the odd crucian:
DSC_0025.JPG

and a slack handful of proper bream like this:
DSC_0047.JPG

I finished at eleven o'clock having taken 39 fish. So, not climbing up the pole, but satisfying never the less. Made even more so by the fact I saw my first swallow of the year and heard my first cuckoo, but mainly because the bread stayed on the hook. For a time I was fourteen again. Pete.

nottskev

Reaction score
The forecast was an outside chance of light rain. My clothes and luggage are still steaming in the lean-to conservatory. It poured down for two hours until rain stopped play. It had one of those days written all over it. With a couple of blokes on the car park side off the woodland pond, I trollied my gear right round to the far side, stumbling over roots and dragging it through marshy ground. Then realised I could have dropped my stuff on the access track and nipped in through a gap in the hedgerow. Still it was good to be fishing on the densely wooded side. At one with nature etc. I set up the pin and 15' rod. Then found there wasn't 15' of headroom, and the nearby pegs were no different, so I had to set up again with a shorter rod. ( I'm staying off the pole just now - fishing the pole locks you into position on your box, and I haven't got rid of the neuropathic testicle pain yet. A rod leaves you freer to squirm around saying ouch).

wh.jpg

With an island about 20 yards out, I fished at the bottom of the slope up to it. It occurred to me that the gear I was using had a combined age of around 98 years. The Shimano rod and reel are 1993; the float, peacock with a crow quill tip and a bit of lead wire to tune it to 2bb + 4 no8, was made in 1978. I remember the year as I made sets of them while recuperating from a back operation. Am I interested in a £500 feeder rod? What do you think.

wh4.jpg

The first fish to turn up were a run of these. It feels like no session today is complete without some. Club officials say they've been put in to spice things up. But I reckon it's not so much spice, more monosodium glutamate.

wh2.jpg

At this point two things happened. It started to pour down. And when I netted another of these stockies and put the rod down, the reel span and knitted a bird's nest that made me rip off about 20m of line and start again. That's why the line is so far below the lip in the pic. I set up for the third time and caught a bream, which cheered me up

wh1.jpg

The rain got heavier and heavier. If I left the bait still, no bites were forthcoming. But twitching the float back a few inches got me 3 more bites. I was getting soaked through by that point, without a brolly, so I wrapped up a good bit earlier than planned with just these 4 in the net and the same number of stockies returned as per rules.

wh3.jpg

By the time I'd packed up, the evening, naturally, was looking perfect.

wh5.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I’m still trying different things down at Bury Hill.....particularly around feeding patterns.

However today’s challenge was “ Can you see your float in a nasty ripple when the lake is covered in willow fluff? ” Answer....no, hardly at all. What a nightmare that stuff is this time of year.
Anyway....it was bloody freezing again, never really warmed up and I was on the bank where the awkward scuddy wind was blowing all the fluff. To say it was difficult really doesn’t get close....and the fish didn’t really want to know, I had to work and fight for every bite and they were mostly tiny dips or lifts and not many of them either.
I did manage a few fish....11 crucian to 1-12 and 3 nice tench but I lost 2 tench and bumped a couple of crucian. No bait dominated but more came to double red than anything else.
And I’m still not happy with my feeding.

Attachments

• 66AB4EA1-57BD-48E0-9033-631027EBB00E.jpeg
    66AB4EA1-57BD-48E0-9033-631027EBB00E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 110
  • F270582F-C030-4570-90B8-B8BEAA7C59F8.jpeg
    F270582F-C030-4570-90B8-B8BEAA7C59F8.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 118
  • 656AFA54-AAAD-4F26-834C-9C103B7C032A.jpeg
    656AFA54-AAAD-4F26-834C-9C103B7C032A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 114

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A double header of two locations today but only fishing one of them.

I made an early morning trip to Samphire Hoe arriving at a very low spring tide to do a recce for future visits in the coming months in an attempt to find a few holes amongst the Boulder field in the hope of finding my first wrasse. It's something of a minefield.....

87216C72-2317-470E-9195-89D57D6A01B3.jpeg

after an hours walk, a few holes were spotted, photographed and committed to memory. I'll be back!

Drove back across the Kent countryside back to the estate for a very short session, had a few skimmers, a couple of quality roach and one very sad looking tench. I used a size 16 barbless hook, it's obvious we have at leat one member that chooses something more agricultural.?

47A52CB4-3550-4FB9-800E-F646FAE931E3.jpeg

The resident tortoise was enjoying the sunshine.

117FB6C6-F13A-45A8-BE04-12B31EE3EB44.jpeg

Received a phonecall asking me to attend my GP practice next Sunday for my second jab, I'll be looking to travel a little further afield this Summer.

An early exit to get back home in time for the Chelsea game, so far so good.?

Last edited:

Reaction score
Went yesterday afternoon,arriving at just after 2pm and after spending the best part of 45mins setting up then fishing till seven,fished a feeder casting it to a feature ended up with 3 mirrors,1 common between 3 & 6lbs,plus a bream around 2lb 8ozs,losing 1 carp off the hook...

John Aston

Reaction score
Up to my lake on the North York Moors, after the coldest April since 1960 I heard. And even on the first day of the loveliest month of the year , the trees aren't even nearly in leaf . But lambs gambolling on the riverside field , lower down the valley , and a hunting barn owl spotted too. A few buzzers (midge pupae ) were hatching in a gusty, icy wind but the only surface activity was a family of Greylag geese with 5 goslings and a manic pack of mallard ducklings pinballing around .

I fished my Airflo 9-6 #7 with a floating line but a very long (20ft )leader with two generic goldhead nymphs retrieved either very slowly (and inch at a time) or left to drift in the L to R wind. Hands cold after ten minutes, but enjoyed the sound of curlews on the moor above me and that curious whirring little grebes make. After an hour without a take , time for the first of several fresh cups of tea . A heavier nymph on the point and bingo - a hard fighting rainbow of about 3lbs . followed by two more of about two pounds each . More tea , and then 2 hours of glaring sun and not another take.

I was thinking about fighting quality on the way home - rainbows came originally from upland waters in the USA and like our native browns are essentially cold water fish - and in low water temperatures they try to pull your arm off . Cold water chub pull like trains , but, just like rainbows, can be pretty tame in warmer weather . But late summer and early autumn pike are terrific scrappers , with winter fish often being dull plodders . Funny old game .

Here's one I caught earlier
ttrout.JPG

And here's where I will be when the rain finally comes -my own little piece of paradise
rye hawnby.JPG