How did you get on?

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
No one been on the rivers yet? Can’t get out myself for a while but interested to see how they are doing - maybe next week would be better?

jon atkinson

Reaction score
No one been on the rivers yet? Can’t get out myself for a while but interested to see how they are doing - maybe next week would be better?
It had been my intention to fish the Dee at Bangor-is-y-Coed - I've yet to make it out on the 16th and a combination of unplanned work sh!t and having rather sore arms having been 'eaten' by Horse flies on Sunday's work party meant that it will have to wait another year ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The temperature reached 30 centigrade here today in Whitstabubble. I needed to find a bit of respite but away from the crowds

A short session at Epple Bay taking a float rod fishing live prawns which I collected this morning having made my Blue Peter style prawn aquarium, plenty of cold aerated seawater will hopefully keep the critters kicking for a day or two

With plenty of May rot and with a HT not scheduled til 4-45pm, Whitstable was out of the question, Epple Bay was deserted and the weed not so dense and there was a very pleasant cooling breeze. I only spent two hours there and in that time not a nibble, I've yet to see a float dip under at sea, hopefully not too long to go.

Nothing inspired me to take a photo, here's a photo from someone else that shows where I fished, the tide was a good few feet higher.

3C19EC03-1FF3-47C0-B1E5-5DCA9FD8C38E.jpeg

Pete Shears

Reaction score
First trip to the Wreake early this mornng, a bit of high cloud and warm, water level very low,rafts of blanket weed coating the margins with very little flow. Plenty of minnows swirling on the top with the occasional larger fish.. Quivertipping bread,plenty of knocks/rattles but nothing to strike at, same with worm,crust and corn - eventually had a roach of 8oz. The sun burnt through the cloud and the temperature shot up and the interest in my baits dwindled so it ended up as a scouting trip to see which other swims were useful.

bullet

Reaction score
Went up to the canal for the first time this year with Tench in mind.The carpark was surprisingly busy and it turned out there was an Old Codgers match right along the stretch I fancied so I had to push my wheelbarrow a lot further than usual.
Found a nice quiet spot with a very pleasant outlook....
IMG_20210616_154952018.jpg

What wasn't pleasant was the amount of weed about, took me about half an hour with the rake to clear a spot.
Got settled in and baited up with a bit of GB, some Hemp and a bit of Corn, with Corn on the hook.
First cast settled in nicely, and while I was fiddling about with the Flask I noticed the float standing proud and after a fierce but short fight this little Chap was in the net..
IMG_20210616_161421722.jpg

Fished on, and hooked another fish that really had some power and bored straight into the weed at the side, I managed to get him out and was getting the upper hand when the hook pulled.

It was looking like a good session was on the cards, but it quietened down a bit, adding a worm to the Corn did bring a couple more fish, and a couple of decent Rudd.
Best Tench went about 3lb, they seemed really revved up today and fought like stink, all feeling much larger than they were.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It was a toss up yesterday on Newlands or Lodge Farm, Jon Arthur did a vid there on paste fishing in the margin the other week. Looking at it ,it seemed as if it was the same one I fished on pellet, The carp caught were of similar size.
I decided to save £7 and go to Newlands,
Walking around and asking if anything was happening frp members fishing the feeder or pellet waggler and was told nothing doing,,I had taken both feeder rods and waggler rods just in case plus margin pole, If I had gone to Lodge farm it would have just been margin pole. I set up on chosen peg and decided on the margins, and 4 metres out in front.
Soft pellet in left margin, hard pellet in right margin and caster fished shallow at 4 metres in front.
I could see lots of fish cruising around on the surface but not interested in taking any bait, also lots rolling and crashing about from half way across and up against the island.
There was nothing doing on the caster line , same with hard pellet margin, I missed a bite on double soft pellet.
As I was sat there a carp of what must have been around 20lb swam lazily from under my platform towards open water,
I quickly lifted soft hooker rig from margin and lowered it slowly in front of the unsuspecting carp. And.........
It just swam past it.
It was at this point I got the "what am I doing here moment" So I decided to call it a day after around hour and a half.Even the grebes were struggling to catch.
Some moorhen chicks were treated to some floating casters I had thrown in by their parents. I think I got more enjoyment watching them being fed and looking up to watch and listen to red kites whistling to each other than I did by fishing.
And to top the morning off, a journey home that normally takes around 20 minutes took nearly an hour due a road being closed,

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
It had been my intention to fish the Dee at Bangor-is-y-Coed - I've yet to make it out on the 16th and a combination of unplanned work sh!t and having rather sore arms having been 'eaten' by Horse flies on Sunday's work party meant that it will have to wait another year ?
How I hate horse flies! My avatar is the head of one I managed to kill as it persistently flew into my living room trying to take a chunk out of me!

IMG_20200627_123905740_HDR_2 (1).jpg

Nightmare!!!!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I had 3 hours on the lower Stour yesterday; tares were too slow as the roach have yet to feed properly so I ended up waggler fishing maggots - usually a recipe for minnows and bleak but no minnows, a handful of bleak a roach or two and a fair few dace with this the best one at over half a pound:

Attachments

• 20210616094459(1).jpg
    20210616094459(1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

flightliner

Reaction score
I deliberately stayed away from the Trent yesterday fearing my club water would be busy. Plenty of time in future coming weeks.
I had considered a canal but tho its flows minutes from my home it was a notts part of it that was in my mind but last minute I bumped into an old friend who suggested a lincolnshire mlake that was turning up some nice bags of rudd and roach to float tackle, that decided the matter and yesterday saw me arriving at 10am in rising temperatures.
First job was to find a swim with plenty of shade, that done I tackled up my little shakey 11'- 00" pellet waggler to avoid catching branches above with a pre loaded waggler with three number 8 shot strung out evenly along the three foot pre found plumbed depth of the swim, a Drennan size 18 wide gape hook finnished the job save for the bait which was 6mm banded pellet.
First cast gave me a solid bite resulting in a nice chunky roach of maybe 6oz or so, a nice start that just got better and better, the roach and rudd just kept coming and the size was better, tbh thst first fish was about the smallest I landed, 8oz to a pound was the norm until three carp decided to thrash around for a minute putting my action on hold for some 15 minutes but feeding little and often had the fish back feeding as before.
I deliberately counted each fish on landing as nets are banned and I wanted tto be able to put a guessed /estimated weight to my catch.
By 2pm my shade was fast dissapearing and it was hot enough then below the trees, not only that but taking nearly fifty fish in such shallow water had my bites drying up and by the time I'd reached 55 fish and moved back into shade twice and to far to back to fish comfortably the bites had all but dried up so a little reluctantly I decided to call it a day and pack up.
A rough guestimate of my catch was a pretty conservative 20 to 25 lb of roach and rudd.
The invite was an open one so I'll definitely be calling back when there is less heat, more cloud and low pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_123038.jpg
    IMG_20210616_123038.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210616_125519.jpg
    IMG_20210616_125519.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 58

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
That's fishing for you Mark. ?
It is Mike, I knew if I stayed longer I would just be going through the motions, or worse case scenario would have been setting feeder rods and pellet waggler rods up. As it was all I had to pack away was couple of sections of margin pole and 3 topkits, clear my side tray, dismantle landing net and put seatbox on shuttle ,Took around 10 minutes.
The water only reopened early this week after fish spawning, plus aerators going all round the water, there is one more or less every 3 pegs on there.
That's why I think the fishing was bad/slow.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Had a couple of hours on the Colne this afternoon, I wasn’t expecting much and was curious as to whether the fish would be there after the huge floods earlier in the year. Set up a simple stick float rig and fished single maggot on an 18 red maggot hook.
Spent the first 5 minutes feeding loose maggots down the middle before my first trot down. It was 5 minutes more before my first bite, a perch. This was followed by a small roach then a dace. Following those I had to wait a good 20 minutes with spells of feeding only before the next run of fish. It was encouraging to find the small fish hadn’t all been washed away so severe were the floods, where did they go when it was piling through and over the banks?

C7EFE942-C7B9-44A2-BD3D-97DBD3665D2C.jpeg
089A878F-62DB-49AA-A572-D8936FCCF1C0.jpeg
2AA86744-4259-4F10-8EBE-A84D928D004C.jpeg
1DA73A64-8C8B-4B28-AED0-0D93F45F5B22.jpeg

Philip

Reaction score
With the heatwave dry spell being punctuated by a warm downpour of tropical proportions the conditions were begging to get a rod out and I raced down the river to take advantage for an hour or two.

Touch ledgering I suffered two losses early on from what appeared to be bite offs after takes that almost wrenched the rod from my hand. I have seen this before with Chub and I suspected they may be the culprits & it was a sure sign of very positive feeding. I considered changing the hooklink but decided to stick with it and was rewarded with 5 nice Roach. I weighed the best one which put up a good scrap & went 1lb -13oz

I had been on the brink of dropping this swim and returning to a different river were I had seen a couple of whoppers but this was a nicer place to fish. I have even got a chair tucked away in the undergrowth so I dont need to lug one down there all the time. However I suspect I will return to the other place soon.

The conditions were begging to be fished...1lb 13oz...
Roach ep (2).jpg

That tiny gap is my swim. Access is down a steep slope covered in hedgerow. I go to alot of trouble to try and tuck myself away..

swimep (2).jpg

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Another excursion to Samphire Hoe today, I wanted to escape the heat and the English Channel provided lower temperatures and a slight breeze, very pleasant, 27 in Whitstable, just 22 at Samphire. ? Sun was still strong though, plenty of factor 50.

Same setup as last week, two carp rods paired with 4000 Rareniums, loaded with 12lb Progold.

View attachment 15490

View attachment 15491
Same conditions here yesterday, flat calm and clear. I didn't fish but a couple of the regulars had nothing but spider crabs. I thought they had gone, I hope they don't stay around all summer. No mackerel yet either, I thought they would start to show now but perhaps the sea is still too cold, it takes a long time to warm up. It's officially 57f and I don't know what the right temperature is for mackerel but I think it needs to warm up a bit. No bass although I suspect their might be one or two hanging around the piles and mullet, but no sign of them so perhaps not..
P1000106.JPG

Reaction score
How I hate horse flies! My avatar is the head of one I managed to kill as it persistently flew into my living room trying to take a chunk out of me!

View attachment 15546

Nightmare!!!!

My worst nightmare,I hate the bastard things,in fact i've become an expert on the UK variants,I recognise their approach flight and know that you must wait until they coochy down to stab you hefore going for a swat,i'm allergic to most insect bites so end up being massively swollen on the bite site,two days ago I was treating some new fence panels and got bitten by another arch enemy,one I do not know the name of,but they are small grey winged and walk strangely before biting,I now have a two inch round itchy lump around 8mm high and that is after anti-histamines....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Same conditions here yesterday, flat calm and clear. I didn't fish but a couple of the regulars had nothing but spider crabs. I thought they had gone, I hope they don't stay around all summer. No mackerel yet either, I thought they would start to show now but perhaps the sea is still too cold, it takes a long time to warm up. It's officially 57f and I don't know what the right temperature is for mackerel but I think it needs to warm up a bit. No bass although I suspect their might be one or two hanging around the piles and mullet, but no sign of them so perhaps not..
View attachment 15569

the seas around here are now anything but clear because they are literally full of s**t thanks to Southern Water. No sea fishing for me for a day or two.

I have however discovered an alleged hotspot for mullet which I hope to have a go at soon and add to my species list.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
the seas around here are now anything but clear because they are literally full of s**t thanks to Southern Water. No sea fishing for me for a day or two.

I have however discovered an alleged hotspot for mullet which I hope to have a go at soon and add to my species list.
What have southern water done?