Intermediate whippings

Old fisher

Reaction score
When working on intermediate whippings on my rods I found a system that works for me especially on very fine whippings. I will explain how I do it and hopefully someone may explain a better way
First I cut off a piece of thread long enough to do what I require according to the number of turns around the blank and the thickness of the section. I then make two separate loops of nylon, and place them, facing opposite each other and with the piece of thread trap them between my thumb and finger and hold them against the cane. I then wrap the thread around the blank the required number of turns. I then place each end of the thread through the loop at each end and pull the loops through the windings to each opposite end and pull tight, whilst moving whips to their correct position and finally tightening again. As I said this is the way I find works for me. If you know a better way then PLEASE !! let me know. The way I do it was found along the way of completing nine rods and as I said, this is for intermediate whippings and not for attaching rings etc.

trotter2

Reaction score
Another easy way is to wrap the blank with one continued thread all the way up the blank doing the guides as you go . Epoxy over the guides and then when set up cut the threads off. Takes more thread but very easy to do and no whipping knots.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use one spare loop for the end tag to be pulled through at the finished end of the whip. I do not use any spare loops at the start of the whip just one which I only lay along the cane near the end. The tag at the beginning of your whipping, you can just lay that along the cane trapping it and whip over it a few turns, maybe 6-10 turns and then you can pull it tight and snip it off but still leave a 1/4 inch or so laying along the cane. Then you can carry on whipping over this hiding the end until you get to within say 6-10 turns of the end of your whip and THEN place your spare loop along the cane trapping it with your finger at first, finish off whipping and pull the spare tag back through and snip it off. It might be easier than holding two spare two loops in place all the time. I don't know as I have never tried your method but it looks easier. Some times you can use a bit of sellotape to trap the spare loop just beyond the end of the whip as well if you find this easier.
Anyway, this is how I have always done it and I hope I have explained it well enough. Try it and see how you get on.

Last edited:

Old fisher

Reaction score
Another easy way is to wrap the blank with one continued thread all the way up the blank doing the guides as you go . Epoxy over the guides and then when set up cut the threads off. Takes more thread but very easy to do and no whipping knots.
I don't think this would work for hundreds of tiny intermediates but I thank you for replying to me.
Tight lines

Old fisher

Reaction score
I use one spare loop for the end tag to be pulled through at the finished end of the whip. I do not use any spare loops at the start of the whip just one which I only lay along the cane near the end. The tag at the beginning of your whipping, you can just lay that along the cane trapping it and whip over it a few turns, maybe 6-10 turns and then you can pull it tight and snip it off but still leave a 1/4 inch or so laying along the cane. Then you can carry on whipping over this hiding the end until you get to within say 6-10 turns of the end of your whip and THEN place your spare loop along the cane trapping it with your finger at first, finish off whipping and pull the spare tag back through and snip it off. It might be easier than holding two spare two loops in place all the time. I don't know as I have never tried your method but it looks easier. Some times you can use a bit of sellotape to trap the spare loop just beyond the end of the whip as well if you find this easier.
Anyway, this is how I have always done it and I hope I have explained it well enough. Try it and see how you get on.
Hi
Thanks for replying. I have tried this way in the past and it did work but it was a little too difficult with only 4-5 turns of the silk that i like to use but it worked early on when I started rebuilding rods and used the nylon whipping threads and more turns like you explained up to about 10 turns.
The threads I now use and get from an old rod builder are very fine silks and it was too much of a problem for my slightly arthritic fingers. I used this method on my first two rods. Again thanks for the reply

Molehill

Reaction score
I believe this method was used on a lot of commercial built rods, such as the glass carp rods where they served little purpose other than decorative (possibly stiffen the blank up a little?), it is fairly easy to spot once you look for it.
I used standard method of whipping for intermediates catching in the thread and using a single loop to pull back the tag end, 4 wraps was easy but 3 wraps pushing It a bit towards the thin tip end. I could comfortably manage a minute a wrap - which isn't too desperate - but I couldn't do it now!
And you need a good supply of very sharp razor blades for trimming.

mikench

Reaction score
What is an intermediate whipping and when are whippings used other than to attach eyes to a rod. Whippings and eyes are like salt and pepper surely; well they are on my rods.

Old fisher

Reaction score
What is an intermediate whipping and when are whippings used other than to attach eyes to a rod. Whippings and eyes are like salt and pepper surely; well they are on my rods.
Intermediate whippings are traditional whippings on split cane rods. They were originally used in the early days of split cane rod making when animal glues were used. It was hoped that these whippings would help to prevent the sections from delamination should these early glues start to break down over the years Modern glues now no longer need this back up but many people including myself like the beauty of a fully fitted out cane rod. It's as simple as that. Thanks for replying to my question.
Tight lines

mikench

Reaction score
One lives and learns; I do not possess any cane rods. Thank you for replying.

Old fisher

Reaction score
One lives and learns; I do not possess any cane rods. Thank you for replying.
Just to add a little info. It has been said that the great Richard Walker after letting B James produce and sell his MK1V carp rod,that he told them that they need not add the intermediate whippings as he did on his early rods because the modern glues 1950-1960s did not need intermediates but they told him they liked the look so would continue to apply them to the rods.
Tight lines

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
You are right with modern glues they are just there for decoration. Cane rod builders now only put them on if asked for. When I built my own rods rods from J B Walker blanks many years ago I never put them on.

Old fisher

Reaction score
You are right with modern glues they are just there for decoration. Cane rod builders now only put them on if asked for. When I built my own rods rods from J B Walker blanks many years ago I never put them on.
Hi Steve2
That's correct as in 1998 Edward Barder made two rods for me a Walker MK1V Carp and a Chris Yates Bishop. I think I paid an extra £50 each rod. At my request he matched all the whippings up (bottle green with crimson tippings ) and numbered the rods 1 & 2. He said at the time it made the MK1V look like a baby Bishop.
Tight lines

trotter2

Reaction score
I don't think this would work for hundreds of tiny intermediates but I thank you for replying to me.
Tight lines
That's exactly were it does work best , if you don't wish to try it that's fine.I was only suggesting an alternative easy way to go.

trotter2

Reaction score
I believe this method was used on a lot of commercial built rods, such as the glass carp rods where they served little purpose other than decorative (possibly stiffen the blank up a little?), it is fairly easy to spot once you look for it.
I used standard method of whipping for intermediates catching in the thread and using a single loop to pull back the tag end, 4 wraps was easy but 3 wraps pushing It a bit towards the thin tip end. I could comfortably manage a minute a wrap - which isn't too desperate - but I couldn't do it now!
And you need a good supply of very sharp razor blades for trimming.
It's easy to spot if you use thick whipping thread. It's more difficult if you use fine silk thread. And trim it off with a sharp blade.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi to all the people who have made a contribution to the subject of intermediate whippings. I think the subject has just about run out of steam now, unless someone has other ideas not yet covered. Again I thank you all.