Fishing goals and ambitions this year

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Just to get out more.
Due to circumstances at home i only fished 4/5 times last year.

John Aston

Reaction score
I have reasonable expectation of catching a couple of hundred or so wild brown trout and grayling from the river I have adored since teenage . If I get a few two pounders of both species I'll be every happy . I also want to find some good perch waters (to lure fish) which haven't been hammered . Some big tench on float , a few decent river barbel , a carp or two off the top, some fly caught summer chub and a few big rainbows on nymphs - that will do me just fine .

I might also treat myself to a few days on the Midland canals for the fish I don't have at home - zander.

John Aston

Reaction score
Oops - I mentioned fly fishing in a coarse fishing thread. All rounders , eh, what can you do ?

Reaction score
Its no matter,Peter mentioned Avington too,its all plonking...I love fly fishing,but with costs being quite prohibitive on waters I used to fish and yes,I can afford a few trips no problem,but my coarse tickets are paid for,with just the tackle to load and go,no ringing to book a day,life is just easier,a nice dry day on the boat at Grafham brings back many happy memories.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have reasonable expectation of catching a couple of hundred or so wild brown trout and grayling from the river I have adored since teenage . If I get a few two pounders of both species I'll be every happy . I also want to find some good perch waters (to lure fish) which haven't been hammered . Some big tench on float , a few decent river barbel , a carp or two off the top, some fly caught summer chub and a few big rainbows on nymphs - that will do me just fine .

I might also treat myself to a few days on the Midland canals for the fish I don't have at home - zander.
Oxford canal has lots of Zander, in fact a club on a stretch near Kiddlington ,has removed pike to encourage the Zander .
I thought it would have been the other way round.
If I catch one it will end up as food for the wildlife.

Andydj

Reaction score
To try and find somewhere that I can feel happy to fish that doesn't involve an hours drive along horrid roads. No easy task where I live I can assure you!

Andydj

Reaction score
Just to go fishing and enjoy it again. If all goes to plan it will be within 20 miles of Evesham although at the moment there are not many houses on the market that we like.
Good luck with this. I totally agree. To be able to 'enjoy it again.' That is everything really.

Andydj

Reaction score
To try and find somewhere that I can feel happy to fish that doesn't involve an hours drive along horrid roads. No easy task where I live I can assure you!
.....perhaps I should dig out the Mullet gear. Plenty of that around here.

steve2

Reaction score
Mostly to try to get out more but also will be trying for an Avington double as it has eluded me for the last 2 seasons.

On the coarse front a few big Hampshire Avon roach are always a welcome bonus as are some decent dace.
I use to treat myself to a few days at Avington in the 1990's but never caught a double.
Just checked the prices for today slightly more than we paid back then, I think we paid around £30/40.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The horrid roads are getting worse thanks to the anti-motorist BCP! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

John Aston

Reaction score
Oxford canal has lots of Zander, in fact a club on a stretch near Kiddlington ,has removed pike to encourage the Zander .
I thought it would have been the other way round.
If I catch one it will end up as food for the wildlife.
Really, are you sure about this ? It's normally illegal to remove pike or to return zander. I put zeds back- they are here to stay and are lovely to catch on light lure gear, and without the encumbrance of a wire trace .

nottskev

Reaction score
20th century kev? You better get busy there's a 100 years to catch up on. Pete

20th century as in fishing as if commercials never happened, Pete :) Mostly with tackle from the 90's.

mikench

Reaction score
Grayson answered a question I had never raised as the answer , whilst of interest, was unlikely to be be required as there are no Zander in my neck of the woods. My question would have been whether a wire trace was necessary for Zander fishing either because they have teeth or because where there are Zander there are Pike.