Do any of you cast soft plastic lures to catch fish?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Huge. What test and type line?
I use braid mainline to a fluorocarbon leader. The braid is usually 20 lb for my lure fishing, the FC leader was just 12 lb.

Pretty sure I had a short 20 lb wire trace to the lure. Too much chance of a pike here, I do not trust FC to the lure in any breaking strain.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Bet that fish would provide enough fillets to feed a dozen with more left for storage! Catfish are one of my favorite freshwater fish to eat.
In France there is at least one "Michelin star" chef who has had silure (Wels) on the menu. So far I have not been minded to try them, one day I might as they are considered an invasive species and should not be returned to the river.

Mine always "fall off the hook" back into the river. Funny how lucky some fish can be!

If I ever deep hook a small one maybe I will then knock-it-on-the-head. I have eaten pike and perch when I was a boy, OK I guess, but I prefer sea fish on my plate now.

Even the poison spined weaver sea fish is eaten here. I find them better than sole when I can get them from the supermarket, very inexpensive.....

Vive.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
That mean you die if it pierces the skin?!!
Unlikely, unless you have health problems. But its reportedly very painful and the affected limb swells considerably!

It's the Greater Weaver we eat, it's supposed to be less poisonous than the Lesser Weaver. I doubt I will plan on a "touch-test" to find out!

The Lesser Weaver only grows to a few inches length and likes to burrow into the sand on the beaches. It's not uncommon for people paddling in summer to get stung. If it's a shallow, fine sand beach it is best to wear wading shoes - just in case!