How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
I decided to go fishing ; what a surprise ! After 6 weeks without I had to venture forth but am glad I paid heed to the weather forecast . It was cold early on and actually got colder as a stiff south easterly made its presence felt. I returned to my favourite water and my preferred peg.

IMG_2943.JPG

I started on the feeder and had a carp first chuck followed fairly swiftlyby two more and a skimmer. The carp were all around 4 to 6 lb. I was joined by another master fisherman on the next peg.

IMG_2945.JPG

He flew off as I tried to get closer; clearly antisocial.😉
I switched to the float as the action tailed off and caught around 20 assorted skimmers roach and gudgeon on maggot. I reverted to the feeder for the last couple of hours and had 3 double figure carp with this the biggest at 12lb.

IMG_2946.JPG

I had a couple more skimmers and a solitary crucian. I thoroughly enjoyed my day even though it felt like January. I spent 45 minutes chatting to the club secretary about life and fishing and missed a good bite.

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
I went with a friend yesterday to a very intimate club water which is very similar to an Estate lake. We had both perch and tench in mind but the NE wind proceded to once again have a negative affect. In hindsight igot it wrong having moved out of a swim I felt could produce but decided to move after the bailiff saying that swims further down the lake are currently producing. I think small baits were the way to go in preference to baits such as prawn and lobs. Hopefully I will get it right next time. The guy who turned up in the afternoon who moved into the swim I vacated caught two nice tench. I am philosophical these things happen in fishing and once again didn't trouble the scorer.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I didnt Roger ...but as she was using a 6 foot telescopic boat rod and was doing that sort of -let go of the rod with one hand- casting style, I suspect she was probably not too aware of subtleties such as close seasons :)

Yes, I know the technique, like Jerome Robson and Bob Mortimer! Why doesn’t someone put them right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seth49

Reaction score
On syndicate water again like last Thursday, on my own today as mick didn’t fancy the cold, and Neil had to take his wife to hospital for some physio, as she’s suffering from long corvid.

First there at 6.30am so got the peg I wanted, started with the pole again, as I did ok last week, fed chopped worm and ground bait, and fished single red maggot over this, cupping a few maggots in each time, a few roach and perch for a start, then a bream of around three lbs, followed by a F1 of around the same weight.

After a while I started to catch a few tench, mostly between 1 and 2lbs, also a mirror carp of around 4lbs, around 11am it went quiet fished the next three hours with hardly a bite, then around 2pm they started again and I caught some more.

Finished with 12 tench, 13 assorted silvers, plus the three bigger fish I mentioned before, it was a cool cloudy day with light winds, felt cold though, still not a bad catch considering, just needs to get a bit warmer.
104143E0-64DF-407D-918C-D1FBB83390A1.jpeg

F7F70E5E-2AA5-4CE4-9AE1-BFD044147B26.jpeg

503D8040-4E8E-41C6-9272-C40181AE2DC2.jpeg

09774DEB-DFF6-4664-8EBB-E6A11A6254BC.jpeg

nottskev

Reaction score
On the disused canal again. But very little went to plan. Turned up after lunch and the 10 peg section I usually fish had half a dozen anglers on, and I do like to leave an empty peg between me and the next bloke. I appreciate it when they do, so I assume we all feel like that. So I went on a length I'd not fished before. I picked a swim with an old cutting opposite and some kind of wooden island housing water plants in the middle. Meanwhile the forecast mild grey day was becoming the kind of cloudless scorcher you don't really want for an afternoon on the canal.

Ac.jpg

I'd been told this section was good for bream (fat chance in the sun) so I set up the shallow light rig for whatever and the bottom rig for something bigger. Long story short, I never had a bite over the hemp, micros, caster and corn fed by the weird planter. Instead I had a dozen big bream sunbathing at the surface all afternoon to my left.

Back on the small fish rig, there were plenty of ide, and roach with odd chublets and perch. Some were just about netters, most were careful swingers.

Ac1.jpg

People who grew up with good fishing might not get this, but my formative years fishing in c**p waters left me always appreciating plenty of bites, even if the fish are small.

Ac2.jpg

I took a walk down the canal to where the tall trees shaded the water and the far bank had some reeds.. A bloke fishing there was catching bream and the odd carp. Noted.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I went to a club lake today it was a fair old drive for a total blank. I thought there may be a chance of a decent perch. I have only fished this particular lake once previously and I put a decent mixed bag together. This time I only took one rod and light lure gear. I gave it my best shot and the only touch was when the line went over the back of a carp that spooked with a huge swirl.
ccca95875e190bed8d8d97693c0c07ad.jpg

Like my previous visit, I was the only angler there. The only person I saw or spoke with was the bailiff. It surprises me that it’s not used more. There are probably about 12 or so swims, most have paving slabs leading down to flat pegs. Everything is very neat and tidy and most of the work there has been done by the bailiff. He has a hide on site for pest control purposes. There are a number of dead trees standing straight up out of the lake bed. I thought that these would be attractive to the perch as they seem attracted to structures but not today. I tried; spinners, jelly worms and various shads. The bottom was pretty well covered in dead leaf and bits of twig, this ruled out creature baits and trds, I would have liked to tried these but I think I would have lost a lure every cast.

I tried every swim and did three laps of the lake, so my lack of success wasn’t down to any lack of effort on my part. I suppose that every day can’t be a red letter day.

I nearly filled the freezer on my way home. I had two deer leap out into the road right in front of me and a pair of cock pheasants too. Missed all of them, it was that kind of day, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
I didn't care much for the football this afternoon, so I went fishing after lunch. The disused canal fills up at weekends, and the tench lake too, since some scrote put a video on youtube (why??). The big fish woodland pond is understandably popular, so I plumped for the smaller. prettier pond, despite it being 50/50 whether you catch. I've fished it with Steve/Binka/Aknib on days when neither of us could get a bite. I prefer the tree-lined bank, but there was a good head of scum and seeds that side

Ad.jpg

I fished expanders over hard pellets 11m out, and maggots shallow the same distance to my left. Sometimes everything in here seems to be in mid water. Not today - not a bite on the maggots, save for a couple of bits. I had to wait a couple of hours for a bite on pellets before catching a bream

Ad1.jpg

then an ide

Ad2.jpg

Having two bream come off didn't help, one a 6lb fish right at the net, and I waited ages for a few more bites. Context is everything. and it's easy to blank on here, so while I wasn't thrilled I wasn't displeased with the catch

Ad3.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
Back to usual fishery today, and it turned into a good days fishing too, usual pole and chopped worm tactics, but this time I raked the swim first, by the time I’d tackled up the swim was like a jacuzzi bubbles everywhere.

I finished with twenty tench, two crucians, one F1, and fourteen skimmers, not bad weather after a bit of light rain early, a good day enjoyed it.
C69C2D6D-D2EC-42C6-874C-C703BFD3C7A8.jpeg

32E24E9A-2633-4B67-ADC6-B20EDEF36EAD.jpeg

nottskev

Reaction score
Back to the old canal after lunch today. Looks like I'll have to get up earlier - first choice pegs all taken. I'd chucked a trolley in the boot in case, so I carted the gear over the bridge and 20 pegs down the cut to the alleged bream area. They were all sunbathing Friday last, but today was ideal, overcast and warm. Little platforms at water level make for comfortable fishing.

Ae4.jpg

I had a bit of everything on the bait tray. Surely there must be something these bream will eat there? ( The casters are under the corn.)

Ae7.jpg

I fed two swims at 10 and 2 o'clock at the bottom of the far shelf, 12.5m out, and set up a light rig to catch a few bits while I waited for the bream shoal to move in. Just as well, as for 3 hrs 55 mins I couldn't get a bite across and resorted to fishing for the ide and roach shallow. Some were a decent size

Ae3.jpg

I was surprised when the swan which had sat next to me throughout, hoovering up any bits and pieces of dropped bait suddenly swam out to where I was feeding the ide, reached down and came up with a fish! None of the swans I've ever fished with over 50 years have ever started catching fish themselves. With a 6" fish in its mouth, it shook its head vigorously time and again, stunning the fish on the water, then threw its head back and swallowed it.

Ae6.jpg

That emptied the swim for a bit, and it took a while to get them back. A few minutes before I was due to pack up, I went back over with corn and maggot and at last the float dipped with a consolation bream.

Ae1.jpg

At least I know for sure there's some (or at least one) in there. Next time I'll fish waggler - today reminded me why I don't fish the pole long any more and various bits of my body are letting me know.

Ae.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Back to the old canal after lunch today. Looks like I'll have to get up earlier - first choice pegs all taken. I'd chucked a trolley in the boot in case, so I carted the gear over the bridge and 20 pegs down the cut to the alleged bream area. They were all sunbathing Friday last, but today was ideal, overcast and warm. Little platforms at water level make for comfortable fishing.

View attachment 20503

I had a bit of everything on the bait tray. Surely there must be something these bream will eat there? ( The casters are under the corn.)

View attachment 20505

I fed two swims at 10 and 2 o'clock at the bottom of the far shelf, 12.5m out, and set up a light rig to catch a few bits while I waited for the bream shoal to move in. Just as well, as for 3 hrs 55 mins I couldn't get a bite across and resorted to fishing for the ide and roach shallow. Some were a decent size

View attachment 20507

I was surprised when the swan which had sat next to me throughout, hoovering up any bits and pieces of dropped bait suddenly swam out to where I was feeding the ide, reached down and came up with a fish! None of the swans I've ever fished with over 50 years have ever started catching fish themselves. With a 6" fish in its mouth, it shook its head vigorously time and again, stunning the fish on the water, then threw its head back and swallowed it.

View attachment 20509

That emptied the swim for a bit, and it took a while to get them back. A few minutes before I was due to pack up, I went back over with corn and maggot and at last the float dipped with a consolation bream.

View attachment 20511

At least I know for sure there's some (or at least one) in there. Next time I'll fish waggler - today reminded me why I don't fish the pole long any more and various bits of my body are letting me know.

View attachment 20513

I’ve never seen a swan do that. I wonder if anyone on here has seen it either?

flightliner

Reaction score
Another long walk with my tackle yesterday but long after the time I really wanted to arrive.
Two, not one trips to my local health centre.
Nothing serious, just two appointments an hour apart resulting in a few exercises for a painful back and taking some BP readings caused my twelve noon start at the waterside.
A little groundbait mixed with maggots, casters, corn and a few chopped worms were dropped into a narrow, deeper trench followed by my GB feeders were all I thought was required.
No mass baiting programme needed, just a simple sprinkle of bait to arouse any passing Tenches' interest.
It prooved correct as a half hour later my indicator flew upwards to my rod and I was playing a nice fish that went on the scales a little over five lbs..
Soon afterwards another lift on my indicator had a slightly smaller fish coming to my waiting net.
Seconds later my other rod came to life and there were two fish in my landing net— a double header!
One last fish, another five plus and I was packing my gear away at four pm, a short session but a productive one!

Attachments

• IMG_20220504_151803.jpg
    IMG_20220504_151803.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
I’ve never seen a swan do that. I wonder if anyone on here has seen it either?

Too many years birdwatching for me and I've never heard of it! I dropped a message to my lecturer from uni where I did my MSc in conservation. He's not heard of it. Not one of the legion of guide books I have mentions it. If it's a breeding swan, that behaviour could get passed down the generations...that water might be gaining another predator in the shape of murderous swans...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Too many years birdwatching for me and I've never heard of it! I dropped a message to my lecturer from uni where I did my MSc in conservation. He's not heard of it. Not one of the legion of guide books I have mentions it. If it's a breeding swan, that behaviour could get passed down the generations...that water might be gaining another predator in the shape of murderous swans...

Albino cormorant? Seriously what a unique thing to see and get a photo of.

seth49

Reaction score
Another good day on the syndicate water yesterday, usual chopped worm tactics which worked well apart from attracting the small 5 to 6inch perch, did try corn but didn’t get a bite on that, two waters on one worm sections work best on the other single red maggot.

Had some nice Rudd and roach with the perch for a start, and then hooked one of the larger carp which snapped the 3lb hook length when it made a run for the snag tree across from me, had a small common after, before the tench arrived, I’m catching a lot of tench this year, I’ve caught 60 in my last four trips, and I’ve had over half of last years total already this year.

I finished with 13 tench, 2 carp, and 30 assorted silvers, I think I’m getting the hang of this pole fishing now, certainly seem to catch more fish on this method,
A nice day weather wise apart from a light shower in the morning, it’s finally warming up at last, nice to be out and catching.
08F8D88B-DFC5-4630-9F7B-69A495CEC6F0.jpeg

39B97DF8-DFFD-45C3-9BFF-0EEE5B398096.jpeg

94EF3867-EADF-4F0A-B379-9C2B1E654C4E.jpeg

7126343B-F723-40DD-BA94-A7CC7A00443B.jpeg

98664377-509E-4F0B-B215-B91C40D6F5E5.jpeg

4155D9D9-C89C-4B39-8458-28B8D5B16349.jpeg