River Idle Fish-in: John Ledger Memorial

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Bear with me for a couple of days and I'll check availability propose a date. Traditionally we have it one of the first weekends in December, so I'll aim for that.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Count me in, especially if the proposed format is a bit of a fish in, roving around, with the best redfin taking the honours. It means I can pop straight down, whether or not I'm working. You can also pop into the pub for a drink and a bite to eat, then come out refreshed, to resume battle.

John was a top bloke who would nearly always float fish. I did get him to leger for bream once, not on the tip, but with an alarm and bobbins. It took him a couple of hours before he got used to striking at a noise instead of looking at something.
That morning we amassed over 300lbs of bream (to over 9lbs) between us. Several times I caught John muttering 'If old Ron Clay could see me now.....John Ledger.....using bloody alarms!'

He had top watercraft too. It rarely took him more than one trip to a new river or stretch of river to find the best areas.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Subject to the usual... you can count me in as well. Enjoyed my two previous trips to the Idle so will be keen to travel up there again.

A day on the Idle remembering John followed by some northern winter barbel (Sean?) might make a pretty good weekend! :D

Muffin

Reaction score
Count me in too, sounds like a great way to remember (from what I've heard on FM) a Great man.

Simon

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Right I'm going to call the Haxey Gate Inn and check availability on Saturday 12 December. I'll see what lengths we can fish and whether it's best to book or just buy tickets on the day.

Once I've got some details I'll start a new thread in the Events section. The Haxey Gate has plenty of decent accomodation and does a good evening meal.

Neil, I'll show you a good time on the Sunday then.;)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Neil, I'll show you a good time on the Sunday then.;)

Steady Tiger......

Can you ask how many rooms they've got available too please Sean? Ta.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Count me in, whichever way we play it, but my preference is to leave the event as it has been from the start - as a straightforward match.

As always, if anyone doesn't want to fish the match they can fish for big roach, or pike, or whatever they want, and they don't have to pack in when the match ends.

There's nothing stopping us from having two pools like we do with the Chavs and Aces match, but in this case one pool for the best weight and another one for the best roach.

That way we all get to do what we prefer.

dezza

Reaction score
Good idea Graham,

That will give me all day Friday to locate and keep a 2 pounder so that I can claim the prize.

Hee Hee Hee Hee!!!

:D

---------- Post added at 05:05 ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 ----------

Better get me centre-pin reel oiled up, I haven't fished for coarse fish for months.

Must get some rubbers for me stick.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sean do me a favour mate, PM me the the address of this inn and the B&B price would you please, if it doesn't entail a lot of walking I might just be tempted. Nothing tempts me more than the chance of some stick float roach.

dezza

Reaction score
I would have thought a splint would be better at your age Ron?:D

I'm talking about rubbers for me stickfloat mate. I must also get a couple of lolly floats, I bust the other two I had.

I have a lovely selection of stick floats which I got from **** Clegg before he shut shop.

I use the lollies for stret pegging - good method on the Idle, it gets the best fish.

I hope the rain we are getting now gives the Idle a good flush, getting rid of that nasty summer weed. Then I will start my winter roach campaign. Must get that 2 out the Idle before I kick it!

:)

---------- Post added at 05:37 ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 ----------

Sean do me a favour mate, PM me the the address of this inn and the B&B price would you please, if it doesn't entail a lot of walking I might just be tempted. Nothing tempts me more than the chance of some stick float roach.

Graham, Google Haxey Gate Inn - they have a website.

---------- Post added at 06:14 ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 ----------

By the way we must get Ed to come, otherwise I won't have anyone to take to p*** out of.

:j

Reaction score
That will give me all day Friday to locate and keep a 2 pounder so that I can claim the prize.

You too eh Ron!! I find these new fangled wide mouthed vacuum flasks ideal !!:wh:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Must get some rubbers for me stick.

Instant take there Ron, hook,line and sinker. You may not have fished for coarse fish for months but you've clearly lost none of those old skills!!

Muffin

Reaction score
Really looking forward to this day now, I've had my one day this year on a commerical at Clattercote on the weekend :)

Cant wait to try out this 32oz steak either, maybe you would like to share one with me Steve, as apparently your not man enough for one on your own!

If you can let us all know when its confirmed Sean, and I will book a room at the hotel then, so can enjoy a few Beers in the evening and another days fishing on Sunday.

Fingers crossed I might even get my first Barbel of the season with some expert help :)