Speed fishing

B

Budgie Burgess

Nice one Danny and Bryan.No messing there got some from local fire place installers within minutes of ringing around after reading your replies! Will give it a go.

B

Budgie Burgess

Well now the series is over I would first of all like to thank all who gave advice.I ended up second overall in both the points and the weight aggregate series,A couple of conclusions.firstly cloud type groundbaits were better than "spraying" and using micro barbs whilst taking slightly longer to unhook were the better option as the fewer dropped fish made up for it.Lastly I have came to the conclussion that these guys who can win matches consistantly with 30lb bleak nets are far more skillfull than the captor of any 100lb cat fish! Well good fun and an interesting challenge.Once again many thanks to all.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What a great result Budgie, well done!

Short whip fishing is, IMHO, a very enjoyable and effective method. I really cannot see why more match anglers don't employ this method far more often on either still waters or rivers.

B

Budgie Burgess

The series of evening matchs has half going to an aggregate points trophy and the other half going to a combined weight trophy.Cant remember all the weights but they were all between 6 and 8 lb.Position wise I had one 1st,one third and all the rest were second places.It seemed that by snatching I could frame from any peg on the pond.It was so hard to win though.The one I did was the very last one and a lot of that was because I took the risk of fishing on the bottom for the first 30mins (nothing was showing on top so I thought I would try on the bottom whilst feeding the surface swim up)and took two skimmers which obviously boosted the weight.I was beaten by 1 point in the points aggregate and 3ozs (DOH!) in the weight.
Been left a bit unsure wether snatching will always leave me second to the guy with the bonus fish or wether I can win with just a bit more practise!One things for sure I will certainly be trying with it again next year!

Danny I think my top weight was 8lb 14ozs in 2 1/2 hours. The marble dust certainly toughened up the pinkies.Didnt make regular maggots any tougher than 2 week old ones but achieved this a lot quicker ie 3 days or so.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Budhie,
Unless the venue is packed with small fish I don't think that you could win (on a regular basis) using the short whip methods, even in the shorter duration evening matches.

I always used it as a fill-in method for when the other lines had dried-up.
One thing is though if you can work out some idea of how long it takes to bring the smaller fish onto the feed.
Then you can alternate between your bigger (bonus) fish line and the short line and not waste too much time waiting for the short line to pick up.

In keeping with most things, the more you practice the better your rhythm becomes and this in turn equates to what most people mistakenly refer to as "speed"

Hope this helps.

D

Danny Lancaster

Good Advice.

If there is a good head of skimmers at the venue, I would almost certainly target them first as they are usually quite obliging and you can build up a good weight with them. Then as Peter says the snatching line can be used as an infill when you top up or rest the skimmer line.

But congratulations on the weights and final position, practice, practise, practise!! Your next mission should you choose to accept it, is to break the 10lb barrier!!

B

Budgie Burgess

Yes good advice.The last evening match and the 5 hour match that I won I did exactly that,Targeting the better fish then snatching during quiet spells does seem the logical way ahead,providing the peg allows for it.

I would think that 10lb could be achieved with enough perfection of the method but only from certain pegs.Fortunately it seems that the poor "big" fish swims are the better snatching swims and vice versa.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Budgie,

Also worth a try is to have another whip about 1m to 1?m longer than your short whip line set up.
Give this extra distance a try every now and then as you will find that ocassionally there is a bigger bonus fish hanging off the edges of the feed area.
If using maggot, then try double maggot on the longer whip but don't waste too much time on this, say 3/5 minutes maximum.

sis the roach

Reaction score
when the trent went of i fished canals and for the past 15 years i have fished with liquidised bread as feed and bread punch on the hook you can not fail with this method