Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed fishing

Budgie Burgess Guest

competeing in a series of evening matchs that last three and half hours.Average of 8lb required to win.Been playing around with a short whip and snatching small rudd/roach/bleak of the surface.Can do around 6lb.Any input on this technique ie rigs that dont tangle and groundbait mixes?Also considering artificial hook bait to speed things up any sugestions?

Never tried this kind of fishing never really appealled. A thought on artificials as hook baits Would there boyancy not be a problem on the whip. I have used them on a ledger set up and when float fishing for Tench but that was using the laying on methord.
    A tip to keeping the rigs from tangling is to side cast as you would using a stick float on the river.

Hope this helps.

Shrek Guest

Saw Ian Heaps use this method very effectively.

He used bread on the hook and liquidised bread as feed but preparation was very thorough.

His hook bait was two slices of bread, lightly toasted then rolled very flat, almost paper thin. He then proceeded to cut these into tiny squares and put them in a small box.

The liquidised bread was then prepared, but made into very fine crumbs. At the water, he then made this in a sloppy mix, producing a nice cloud from the thumb nail amount he introduced every cast.

His rig was a very light 4x16 canal float, usign styl weights to minimise line bites.

He was fishing a canal and had a fish every cast, mainly roach. Can't remember how much he ended up with, but it was a nice bag of fish.

Might be worth giving this a try, but I'd practice first before using the method in a match though.

Blog Entries

Budgie,

I have just finished writing an article on whip fishing but need a few pictures to go with it before submitting to Graham.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll e-mail you an advanced copy, okay?

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Nice one Peter, I'll look forward to seeing it.

Phil M Guest

Budgie, squatts as feed and pinkies for hookbaits are all I use for 'snatching'.
    3 or 4 mtr whip 0-10 line straight through to a barbless 22.
    I use 2 inch pieces of clear plastic tube (old crystal wagglers), plugged both ends with clear silicone and fixed to the line with three float rubbers,at about 2 feet from the hook.
    Mucilin the line below the float, but not the last 4 inches, you are effectively then fishing only 4 inches deep.
    'Slap' the rig on the surface and feed a pinch of squatts each cast, watch the greased section of line tightening, rather than wait for the float to skim along the surface.
    Swing each fish in and unhook by shaking the fish off into the keepnet whilst holding the line just above the hook.
    Have your keepnet between your legs if sitting, or at waist height if wading.
    I've done a thousand bleak in five hours so it's quite a good method for building up a small fish weight.

Blog Entries

Quote:
    "Swing each fish in and unhook by shaking the fish off into the keepnet whilst holding the line just above the hook"

I personally don't agree with this comment at all.
    I don't believe that it is good for the fish and neither does it save much time, even in a match situation.
    Having unhooked the fish you still have to "touch-up" the hook bait, and especially so if using pinkie as opposed to maggot.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Phil M Guest

Yes Peter but you don't have to touch the fish with a dry hand.
    You can catch up to 5 bleak on a single pinkie which is much more fish friendly.

Budgie Burgess Guest

Thanks for the replies so far.With regards to the artificial bait I was thinking more along the lines of a bit of red rubber or one of these new artificial casters.Purely to speed things up.I am framing in every match using this technique but feel that there is still a lot of room for improvement.Most worrying is the amount of fish that are dropping off,some whilst being swung in but most just as they are breaking the surface,any ideas? ie would a bigger or smaller hook help?softer/stiffer flick tip?or is it simpley down to technique.Still not happy about getting a good cloud that stays up in the water ,will try the liquidised bread though.My local shops dont sell any of the Sensas or similar surface/bleak mixes that I have used in the past.
    Phil M,have used the aproach you describe but with the hook length "crinkled" (even tried a short length of braid).Whilst living in France I noticed the locals used a different method (ultra light float fished shallow as opposed to on the drop) and this seemed even better.Interested to hear your views on fish dropping off.

Phil M Guest

Budgie, you can fish all types of rigs with a whip, the one I described can be fished shallower than any float rig if thats what's needed.

A modification of my rig and to give you even more options, is to fish with a small piece of floating putty on the line, below the plastic tube, which you can slide up or down to alter the depth the hook is at.

If its liquidized bread feed, the fish go for, add powdered baby milk to it, which creates a cloud that hangs in the water.

I have an extra large keepnet head for snatching that catches most of my drop offs, but I do wear a wetted, plastic apron from around my neck down into the keepnet,which act as a slide/chute to direct the fish into the net.

Old tougher, maggots/pinkies, make the best hookers as its often possible to catch 5/6 fish on one single bait, even if its damaged.

I also insert the hook up the length of the maggot/pinkie, as this helps you to hit more bites.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast