pole rigs

S

si

i have just started in match fishing this is my first season (winter league)
so no suprise when i say its mainly carp in the venues we will be fishing

so i need to make some pole rigs
but ime not entirely sure as to witch pound line to use for the rigs
ime useing a size 12 elastic running through a top 2

i dont want to end up useing line to weak for the carp but i dont want to spoil the presentation with strong line ?????

its just that last sunday the first match was 7 hours and i weighed in 2 roach and got smashed by a carp

Mark Elsworth

Reaction score
I use 1.8lb pro gold to 3lb Diawa mainline to 12 elastic.

I have had carp to 5lb 6oz as well as small roach.

It works for me.

Mark

Mark k Weldon

Reaction score
Try g-line is very supple and has very low diameter as well, it never lets down, i dont think theres really any better ont there. try the lines between 4lb and 8lb tour be impressed.

tight lines for 2005
mooseman

Gazhilla

Reaction score
0.15 Powerline to 0.13 hooklength for me, works fine with 12 elastics. Size hook dependant on bait but 18 or 16 Kamasan 911 are what i use for carp most of the time. I will go up to a Size 10 if fishing paste though.
Gary

Dave Float

Reaction score
You dont have to scale down to much even in winter.I never drop below 0.13 diameter (4lb)when there is a chance of catching carp.I would change the strength of your elastic to either white hydro or number 10 latex for winter fishing.Both are soft enough for silvers but have power in reserve to land large carp.Also use a finer wire hook which will be lighter than forged giving better presentation.Tubertines 808 series or kamasan 911 are ideal.Feeding wise,feed to your bites,you carn't take out what you put in.If you need any more info give us a shout.

B

Bryan Jackson

0.14mm Lazer Shogun to a 12 elastic - carp to 15lb landed so far with no problems. Very reliable and strong.

fred hall

Reaction score
As we've said so many times on these forums when it comes to lines everyone has their favourite so find yours and stick with it. On the subject of line strength don't go to fine.I'm not a regular on the commercial fisheries but I have been to enough of them to say that the water is often very coloured so fine line just isn't necessary. I guess the colour is often caused by the original digging out.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere, so please don't ask as i can't remember, that most strong elastics when at full stretch have a breaking strain of 10-12lbs and that to exceed this with a stronger line results in a broken pole. So basically what i am trying to say is that so long as the BS of the line you are using matches the elastic rating, within reason, you should not have a major problem. I hope this makes sense as i am knackered as i've just got back from catching some naughty Tincas.

A

Albert Watkinson 2

if you know there are big fish in there you should be rigging up to combat them
albert

A

Albert Watkinson 2

i had my top two snatched out of my hand the other day and he went in the reeds on the far bank.another angler got his pole on the far bank and wrapped it round my line and dragged the carp to me .my wife netted him and he went 8lb 6oz.for the pundits .it was 16s elastic and 5lb maxima.14s animal hook.i am not a pole angler but when i bought it i was told to have fun.very adroit with the net is my barbara.
aalbert

LES BOWEREN

Reaction score
Si
In my opinion it really depends on the clarity of the water i.e. the clearer the water then the finer line you use down to a minimum of 0.10mm which equates to 3lb on old money.
I use the preston stuff and have had no probs at all
Les

castapprentice

Reaction score
A rule of thumb is half the lb breaking strain line to number of elastic...ie 12 elastic 6lb line, 8 elastic 4lb line...this is important as its all about balanced tackle.

I would advise anyone new to pole fishing to get a book or dvd by Bob Nudd, he is brilliant and has loads of dvds and a good cheap book called Bob Nudds guide to Pole fishing its only ?6.99 and explains everything with good colour pictures.

Look on ebay for Bob Nudd dvs they are fantastic and have helped me catch loads more on the pole, and understand feeding and how fish respond.