Starting match fishing

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
I have recently joined Littlemore Angling Association and am thinking of entering a match. I have never fished a match before, so if there are any tips anyone can give me on techniques and tackle would be great. The club water is a stretch of the Thames at Sandford on Thames plus they hold matches on other waters in the Oxford area. Cheers.

Waveney One

Reaction score
Starting with a club is one of the best things you could have done. The next step is that which you are taking, fishing a match with them. The most important thing is not to be shy.

Talk to people at the draw, introduce yourself and say you are new to the water. Ask where would be the best place to draw. What fish are likely to be caught, how big etc. Should you be float fishing, on the pole or shouldd you be on the feeder.

At the end of the match, talk to the winner and the man who was second. Congratulate them and ask them how they did it.

The main thing is to keep your eyes and your ears open. Don't forget though, the best fishermen do not slavishly follow what everyone else is doing but they think about why a particular, style or method is winning and adapt that to suit their own fishing strengths.

All the best of luck, keep us posted how you get on.