Match fishing on Tench waters

J

Jaffa

Could do with some help on this please, fishing a lake 11 acres approx mainly holding Tench to 6lb. Loads of weed and pads and depths from 3ft-9ft.

Have fished some matches on this lake with some success but could be doing better. Corn,maggots,pellets, work quite well what else should I try.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Hi mate.
Find a channel or variation in depth.

I've had some good Tench on hair rigged wheat.

J

Jaffa

Forgot to mention loads of Crayfish and they nibble at most baits especially anything meaty.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
How about a Shock Stik, you'd get em out really quik with one of them.
I'm assuming you're margin fishing.

J

Jaffa

The water is quite clear so the margins don't produce that much during match times, also have people walking dogs round in the morning with kids making plenty of noise.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Have you tried those fake/rubber casters?
I've had tench to 6-12 on them, but not in a match situation?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I heard Baz is the man when it comes to tench???

My biggest success was from Ched' Res' method feeder with two fake casters, but I know Baz had a clonker earlier this season.
Can't remember what he had it on, but he did a nice article, might be worth a look mate.

J

Jaffa

Just looked at that Steve very interesting, good size male tench Baz.

B

The feeding has changed now mate. As predicted it has gone harder. It isn't so much the kind of bait being used now. It's more of where to locate them. That's why I said look for a channel or variation in depth.

J

Jaffa

Tried boilies last time and that worked well, just get the odd blow come up and normally a bite within a couple of minutes. Found it harder this year in the matches but thats fishing.

J

Jaffa

Hard work finding a channel Baz as the weed is very bad this year. Not much help in that department from the lake owners, so only hand drags are used and the fish stop in the weed.

J

Jaffa

Cheers Steve, strange season so far mate. Not going as good as last season, not enough practice I think.

Are you having a good year?

B

In that kind of a situation I think I'd go for bread flake on a long hooklength fished paternoster style.
I know I don't need to tell you but don't forget to feather the line down to straightn the hooklength before it hits the water if you are useing a rod.

bungle bear

Reaction score
Hi jaffa . I've been having some success this season fishing for tench in matches. spicy shrimp and prawn hair-rigged 10mm boilies has been doing the damage. Been feeding hemp, 3&6mm dynamite baits koi pellets on a regular basis. Not been using any groundbait as it seems to frighten them off . I think i live near to you so if you want any lessons let me know ;)

Zorba.

J

Jaffa

You had some success Bungle, but not quite Club Champion success. ;-)