Preston 'C' Series Rods

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fished a commercial last weekend in a 'fun' match but felt under-gunned in the feeder and float rod department.

I've been looking at both the Preston C Series float and Feeder rods as a possible replacement.

So, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?

I'm considering the 11' versions of both, the float rod for a pellet waggler and the feeder for a pellet feeder and maybe the lightest of method/banjo feeders.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Nothing but ...... good.

I thought they only did a 13ft float in the C series? I was keen on buying one last year until that dreadful Andy Nellist convinced me to get the Excel and that is a superb rod, managed to get it for the same price as the C series though so double bonus.

The 11ft Mini Float I have and did a review of it, superb!

Nearly bought a Preston 11ft feeder rod too, but in the end I wanted one in two sections, both being equal with quiver fitted. I chose the Korum 11 ft Precision feeder and it is without doubt a little cracker.

But again, do you mean the 11ft Mini-carp feeder, which almost swung me and I believe may be the same blank as the Korum?

If that's of any use to you.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I know am starting to sound boring but you simply cannot beat the Shakespeare Mach 3 XT range for performance and value, the 11ft Pellet Waggler, 10.5ft, 11.5ft, 12.5ft Feeder rods, as well as the 13ft, 14ft, 15ft and 16ft float rods, every one an absolute gem.

Forget the RRP, you can pick them all up on ebay new for much less, an absolute steal.

There is no taking it away from Preston, they produce some great rods but pound for pound, they don't come near the Shakeys for value.

The Pirate.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the excel 13ft and 17ft float rods and they are superb and knowing preston the C series will be superb too!
as pirate say's, shaky tackle is really good for the money these days (it was really **** when I was a lad!) but what ever you decide on it will be your choice.

mark

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies; I've never been too keen on Shapespeare rods other than many years ago I had a President that was truly lovely, lost it in a house move sadly.

I've got the Preston 15-17' rod and it is a lovely rod too, so I'm going to opt for the Preston rods this time.

Hopefully I'll be doing a little more match fishing in the coming months so I think those Prestons will be fine.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I've had the 10' Carbonactive Mini Carp rod for a few years and wouldn't swap it for anything for fishing the tip up to about 35yds.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Buy the 17ft excel and you could buffer the cost by selling your pole!
I use mine with pole floats in the margins and I must say it does a superb job.

mark

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Marl,

I've got the 15-17 version, and my long pole and margin pole are my constant companions LOL

Cost is really not an issue, but performance is, so I've ordered both the 11' versions of the float and the Feeder rods.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi peter,
I once bought a maver B21 has I thought it was the way forward at the time! I got it at a discount price (£800!!) but the spares where still the full price and I was too scared to use it..lol! I could not get on with all that shipping in and out and the messing about with elastic and rigs so I got rid! I have never looked back...big fish and poles don't go together...lol!!

mark

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I love fishing the long pole to be honest, the presentation is second to none and yes, poles and top kits are expensive, but I've landed some very large fish on mine.

The only problem is that on some venues now you need the feeder and pellet waggler methods in order to comepete, hence the new purchases.

Oh, that and . . . . . . the fact that you never have enough rods . . . . lol

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
peter, if my other half new how much my new preston rods cost she would have a proper strop...but no, you can never have enough rods!!!

mark

john woody

Reaction score
hi m8 i have the 11ft c series and the 10ft mini carp. i use the 10ft on commercials all the time nice rod for the method.

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

preston do a new f1 10ft rod too same as the 10ft mini

8721markc

Reaction score
i have both PI's c series float and feeder rods, and have never had a problem with them, however it would be worth spending on a half decent reel to match the rod. both rods are good value for there price and have a great playing action i have had no pull outs and very rarely if at all lost any fish whilst using these rods, there may be other rods on the market better value pound for pound but at £120 these rods wont let you down when it matters most.

regards.

TIGHT LINES.