Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match Etiquette

Yesterday I was pegged opposite a match on a commercial lake which very slow indeed for the 15 or so anglers an hour after the all in. Fortunately I was having a field day and they could see me catching well. A little lad who was with one of the matchmen came around and without any hesitation or introduction asked me what bait I was using, nothing else. Not thinking about It I told him and off he ran back to the adult. In hindsight perhaps I should have said nothing as I might have given him an advantage over the others. Very surprised anyone in a match would do this and even worse be seen to be doing this.

What was the right thing to do?

chill out and enjoy your fishing,fish first for enjoyment,winning is just a bonus.whats wrong with helping someone out..

I was enjoying it!, I wasn't even in the match but seemed unusual request at the time.

trev matthews Guest

Mick you have nothing to worry about, im sure if the lads dad had started to catch as well as you then the others in the match would have kicked off and said something at the weigh in. Match anglers themselves will deliberately mislead others in the match with false baits and false catch reports to bank runners its all par for the course to them.

BAZ (Angel of the North) Guest

Match angling and money never did make a good combination and never will. And there's no such thing as a friendly match.

BAZ you are totally wrong mate. Perhaps if really big money is involved then it becomes a bit serious. However, the usual Open is fun and the majority of participants go there for that reason and no other.

Waveney.
    I have seen these so called friendly matches being run on Lake Fiddlemore. How do you think it got its name?
    I could write chapter and verse on the stunts that were pulled all to win a fiver. In fact I think I will.

That's the problem with living up North then! Down here we don't get that sort of problem at all.

Graham Marsden (ACA) Guest

I fish a club match every three to four weeks and have done for several years. We've had no aggro whatsoever of any description and there has NEVER been any attempt, or mention, or anything, about fiddling.

Fiddling doesn't get mentioned, it just happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast