Fishing blog

James Rich

Reaction score
Lol, seems like some are interested and some not, I enjoy reading about other peoples fishing trips and experiences and thought others might too! and I have had generally good feedback so thanks for that

Judas Priest

Reaction score
an observation if I may

Drop the whiskers, beards etc bit and call the fish by its proper name, it'll lend more weight to your blog and not make it sound so Mickey Mousish.

James Rich

Reaction score
okay thanks, although to be fair that is only one post out of 379!

shelly

Reaction score
What is wrong with some people on here, James puts a post out about his Blog saying I thought you might be interested, one replies” Really” the other says it sounds Mickey Mousish, albeit he was offering constructive criticism. It’s his first post, what a welcome guys.:confused::confused:

It’s the main reason I don’t post very often on here.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Climb down off your horse son and stop sounding so precious.

I'm quite sure James also put the link on here to guage impressions.
Anyone who's first post on any forum is a look at me/my blog has an ulterior motive for doing so. Whether that be to promote themselves or a product or as James has done to share his musings and albiet guage opinion.
Honest opinion should be welcomed as long as it stays within the realms of decency.

As to my post. The use of the words Beard, Whiskers, Boris, bearded torpedo etc instead of the word barbel do make, in my opinion, any writings sound as though constructed by a school aged child.

James Rich

Reaction score
Hey guys, any constructive criticism is welcome, I'm 43 years old (certainly not a school aged child!) and have broad shoulders. I've been writing my blog since 2006 as I really used to enjoy the Wade's Progress style of articles that used to appear in Coarse Fisherman in the '80's if anybody remembers it. And Judas is quite right in that I had an ulterior motive in that I wanted to try and spread the word a bit. I must admit I was a little taken aback by the first reply to my post 'really?' as I have had good feedback from other forums and it wasn't quite the welcome I was hoping for but hey-ho.

Honest opinion is always welcomed and I hope the next time I travel to the Wye in search of 'barbel' you might be interested in how I get on and if you're not, don't read it. I really didn't join this site to ruffle any feathers!

chav professor

Reaction score
What is wrong with some people on here, James puts a post out about his Blog saying I thought you might be interested, one replies” Really” the other says it sounds Mickey Mousish, albeit he was offering constructive criticism. It’s his first post, what a welcome guys.:confused::confused:

It’s the main reason I don’t post very often on here.

Shelley, with all respect - his first post is inviting you to look at his blog..... a plug?

James Rich.... welcome to Fishingmagic. Start posting on FM, I'm sure you can have a link via your signature (underneath each post you make) which hyperlinks readers directly to your blog offerings. The more you post, the wider your audience:)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
No feathers ruffled here James, a little tousled hair maybe but no feathers.

Used to be an avid follower of Wades progress (and his Gudgeon exploits) myself many many moons ago.

guest61

Reaction score
Fishing Blog

Writing a good blog is difficult - I've tried it several times with different approaches and failed, my personal quality control department stepped in and I removed the posts. The other side of this is, to do it well it takes time and this I don't have.

If you post on here (or anywhere else) be prepared to back up your words if they invite comments.

For me the issues are that there are a lot of blogs about which take the same approach.. 'We planned a trip to the ....... Dave was late, the river looked perfect, usually there's a reference to a song title somewhere.. etc..

The things that catch my attention in a blog are variations - float making, bait prep. planning a different approach - Tossing a feeder rig into a known Barbel river and catching a Barbel does not make a good read, unless there is something worth saying don't say it. A few quality photos are a good addition too.

I'm with JP on the names bit Barbs, Tincas, etc switches me off totally.

Good Blog Example - Idler's Quest (regular useful info. across all angling, plus a good read)

Bad Blog Example - My Quest for Barbel.

Reaction score
Re: Fishing Blog

James.

Welcome to Fm...and keep on with the blog.

Say hello on the new posters thread...probably also give you a bit more profile for the blog..

..and the subsequent rainbow of responses;)

Poshers

shelly

Reaction score
As to my post. The use of the words Beard, Whiskers, Boris, bearded torpedo etc instead of the word barbel do make, in my opinion, any writings sound as though constructed by a school aged child.

Your missing the point Judas, I did say if you had read correctly that you gave constructive criticism; the point that I was making was two negative replies on a first post do not make a warmly welcome. You say it sounds like a schoolboy had written it but most of the angling media use the same terminology. I accept it’s an opinion and your entitled to yours.

Poshpaul, now thats a welcome:):):)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Shelley

Certainly not having a fall out.

As for "but most of the angling media use the same terminology"

The vast majority of the angling media deal in lazy gutter journalism. Scoop this scoop that, latest whizz bang this and that, when in reality the majority of it is re hashed old blurb, the selling of advertising space, and one piccy that covers a whole page with little written content of any note. Perhaps this is why their sales are on a major decline and most are now reffered to as "the comics" and certainly not taken seriously by any right minded anglers.

Just because they have chosen to go down the comic book route doesn't mean others should follow especially those individuals with an education and a blog.

Whatever next, blogs and posts purely in TXT speak because some can't be bothered.

James Rich

Reaction score
Shelley, with all respect - his first post is inviting you to look at his blog..... a plug?

James Rich.... welcome to Fishingmagic. Start posting on FM, I'm sure you can have a link via your signature (underneath each post you make) which hyperlinks readers directly to your blog offerings. The more you post, the wider your audience:)

Chav Professor, thanks for your comments and the welcome, I'll start posting, thanks again

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

No feathers ruffled here James, a little tousled hair maybe but no feathers.

Used to be an avid follower of Wades progress (and his Gudgeon exploits) myself many many moons ago.

Judas, re: Wading On, Wade's Progress etc, do you know if he's still about and fishing, I regularly scan the River Soar match results to see if I can see his name but to no avail. And yes I remember him being a bit of a gudgeon expert.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Writing a good blog is difficult - I've tried it several times with different approaches and failed, my personal quality control department stepped in and I removed the posts. The other side of this is, to do it well it takes time and this I don't have.

If you post on here (or anywhere else) be prepared to back up your words if they invite comments.

For me the issues are that there are a lot of blogs about which take the same approach.. 'We planned a trip to the ....... Dave was late, the river looked perfect, usually there's a reference to a song title somewhere.. etc..

The things that catch my attention in a blog are variations - float making, bait prep. planning a different approach - Tossing a feeder rig into a known Barbel river and catching a Barbel does not make a good read, unless there is something worth saying don't say it. A few quality photos are a good addition too.

I'm with JP on the names bit Barbs, Tincas, etc switches me off totally.

Good Blog Example - Idler's Quest (regular useful info. across all angling, plus a good read)

Bad Blog Example - My Quest for Barbel.

Bottle Rocket, thanks for your comments, I'll concede my short piece on the Wye isn't my finest hour but to be honest, my blog is primarily a blog on my match fishing exploits and my regular readers were interested in me doing something out of my comfort zone and a bit different. There are some good photos in my Thailand posts and my trips after my first grayling and mullet were very enjoyable too!

thanks again

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

James.

Welcome to Fm...and keep on with the blog.

Say hello on the new posters thread...probably also give you a bit more profile for the blog..

..and the subsequent rainbow of responses;)

Poshers

Posh Paul, thanks for the welcome, I'll definitely say hello on the new posters thread and I look forward to the myriad of responses;)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't take it personally mate, I just cant get my head round all this self obsessed blogging business with its fans and followers.
I was brought up in a time and place where a craving for attention was considered bad form to the point of vulgarity and a diary was something you kept for your own enjoyment and not for public consumption.
I'm not sure about the cult of facebook and some peoples obsession with posting every tedious detail of their sad little lives either.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Ditto Titus

James
Think if memory serves (old age is a ******) Richard passed away quite a few years back, wouldn't be 100% certain but something rings a bell.