help with making pole rigs please!!!

pole_fisher

Reaction score
hey guys just decided im going to make my own pole rigs instead of buying ready made. you may laught at the question i am about to ask but i would like some help on what mainline and hook length to use for light/medium/heavy rigs any help would be aprecheated :) thanks

Bluenose

Reaction score
hey guys just decided im going to make my own pole rigs instead of buying ready made. you may laught at the question i am about to ask but i would like some help on what mainline and hook length to use for light/medium/heavy rigs any help would be aprecheated :) thanks

What species are you fishing for mate and how deep are the venues?

pole_fisher

Reaction score
Carp and sone silverfish mate i would say the pond is about 7-12 foot mate

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I use reflo powerline for mine as its seems very thin for the stength of it I used to make lots in advance but found if stored for very long the line would kink if wrapped tightly on a winder , now I usually just make them up on the bank as I got do quick at doing them.

I use Stotts as they are easier to handle than conventional shot , don,t buy the stott tool though I find forceps make for a much easier job.

Also let the bottom silicon tube on your float overhang the stem a little which prevents tangling.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I would choose Line to suit the Elastic i would be using on the given day.

My rule of thumb is this, whatever size elastic i'm using (say a size 10 then i half the line strength), for example, i would use a mainline of around 5lb with a lower breaking strain of around 4lb or 3lb.

You can tinker around with those a little, but, they are a good starting platform and generally works really well.

sma

Reaction score
After attaching the float to the line nip on your shot/stot/styl and then 'cross bite' them with a shot removing tool. Slide them up towards the float and snip of the section of line where the shots were originally attached, then finish with a loop for hook length attachment. Doing it this way means that you have discarded a potentially weakened section of your rig.
After measuring your rig against your top 3 or top 4, count he number of turns onto the winder. As you make further rigs you then need only count turns onto the winder to achieve acuuracy and save yourself the hassle of setting up top kits when rig making.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Carp and sone silverfish mate i would say the pond is about 7-12 foot mate

Your carp rigs will depend if you're fishing up in the water and what size baits etc.. there are some excellent articles here by Mark Wintle and I think Jeff Woodhouse too..

However a ball park figure say 0.18 or 0.16 mainline with 0.16 or 0.14 hooklengths depending on the size of fish

For the silver fish I'd go with 0.5g float for the shallower swims and use a 0.14 mainline with a 0.12 or 0.10 hooklength

As a start though if the pools are regularly fished I'd go and have a look at what those whom are catching regularly are using, that'll give you a starter for 10 and be a bit more accurate than my best guesses.

C

chefster

Why dont you read a copy of pole fishing or match fishing they come out every month,, every article tells you how to set up a pole rig..Chefster

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Just a thought:eek: have you still got the packets that your bought rigs came in, they should have line and hook details on them.:eek:

C

chefster

there is no point copying the details of the bought rig ,or you might just as well buy them, the idea of making your own rigs is to tailor them to suit your own needs most shop bought rigs are to generic and not specific enough to your needs,Chefster