How much would you be prepared to pay for a pole?

C

chefster

On other forums and on the bank all you hear is i,ve just got this new 3 grand pole or ive just got this new top end pole..But how much would you pay for a new pole ?? Chefster

Reaction score
I paid 299 for a sensas Willebroek 16 meters in 2007. Included carryall etc. A month later I won a competition in a now defunct Angling paper.....browning pole retailing at £1,000!!! Use of both?......The Willebroek not been out the bag...the Browning as seen action twice!!!

Must give a thought to using them...the Willebroek is being sent abroad!!

Reckon 300 notes willl get you a good deal...and you could probably get a decent one for a fair amount less

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
If i was doing a lot of Pole Fishing, i would pay as much as i could afford for a pole. I would have to give it serious consideration as to cost and whether or not i could justify it without getting myself in to debt over it.

Browning are good poles, just a buggar trying to get parts for them.

Map make some very good budget to mid range poles.

I would buy the longest, stiffest, lightest Pole with most top kits that i could afford.

C

chefster

Yeah i understand all that, I know who makes what etc ,but how much would you be prepared to spend?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Some years ago when I was deeply involved in Match fishing I paid £2,500 for a Milo 10-10 including extra top 4's.

If I were to actively fish matches these days then whatever it costs for the top end of a 16m pole with sufficient top 4's would be paid.

That noted I very much like the Airity poles and the Preston GiS range, so somewhere between 3 and 4 grand would be acceptable to include spare top sections.

bigfish74

Reaction score
does spending 3 grand catch you more fish ?????
i buy what i can afford as i reckon a lot of people do

andy

aebitim

Reaction score
Dont fish the pole but will spend £500 on a rod, an expensive rod doesnt mean you catch more fish but it can help.

B

binka

About a fiver if I was short of something to grow beans up.

I too paid quite a lot of money for a Daiwa Whisker 16m when they fisrt came out but found that despite catching very well pole fishing presented me with more problems than it solved and I decided it wasn't for me and sold it for very good money.

sam vimes

Reaction score

andy

If that three grand gets you a pole that can be held more comfortably, for longer and at a greater length, yes, it certainly can catch you more fish. Then there's a question of rigidity and tip response, which can result in more bites hit.

I'd have not even contemplated buying a pole for more than around £750 until relatively recently. However, I got lucky with my most recent pole, it was new old stock at a massive discount, which kept it within my limits. It was painfully apparent just how much better the pole was compared to the new £750ish poles I'd tried. I reckon it was better than plenty of the £1500 poles I'd tried. I'd previously been very sceptical about expensive poles. Now, I doubt that I'd stump up two or three grand, but I can well understand why someone (regular match/pole anglers or those that can simply afford to) would.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

andy

The same as you, I buy what I can afford, as we all do.

Whether or not it catches more fish is immaterial, it is using what you like and what you want that makes it more fun.

Individual choice is what it is all about, isn't it?

B

binka

The same as you, I buy what I can afford, as we all do.

Whether or not it catches more fish is immaterial, it is using what you like and what you want that makes it more fun.

Individual choice is what it is all about, isn't it?

I think that sums it up nicely.

I've spent enough on individual rods to more than pay for a top flight pole and I didn't spend the money because I thought they would catch me more fish but simply that the choice I made suited me and I found pleasure in them.

As mentioned before I caught plenty of fish on an expensive pole but got rid because it simply didn't suit me and I get more pleasure from catching using the tackle I prefer to use rather than what I think I maybe should be using sometimes and I think you will be far more inclined to make something work for you if you enjoy doing it rather than pushing a method you're not entirely comfortable with :)

bigfish74

Reaction score
If that three grand gets you a pole that can be held more comfortably, for longer and at a greater length, yes, it certainly can catch you more fish. Then there's a question of rigidity and tip response, which can result in more bites hit.

I'd have not even contemplated buying a pole for more than around £750 until relatively recently. However, I got lucky with my most recent pole, it was new old stock at a massive discount, which kept it within my limits. It was painfully apparent just how much better the pole was compared to the new £750ish poles I'd tried. I reckon it was better than plenty of the £1500 poles I'd tried. I'd previously been very sceptical about expensive poles. Now, I doubt that I'd stump up two or three grand, but I can well understand why someone (regular match/pole anglers or those that can simply afford to) would.

My shimano 3ton brand new hold it all day and love it as it does everything i need it to so im happy with that

Andy

markv

Reaction score
I spent what is a hell of a lot of money on a pole once, comfortably over a grand.

I didn't mind doing it as fishing IS my hobby and I enjoyed owning what I regarded as a good pole at the time which suited my needs.

Looking back, I can see it was the act of buying and owning something I coveted that gave me more pleasure than the actual advantages it gave me.

Done it once and enjoyed it.

Now, I think there are many bargains to be had second hand that will suit me far less expensively.

I now use a secondhand MAP TK40 most of the time (£250) from the 3 poles I have, The MAP is second hand and a Tri-cast Excellence I have is at least third hand.

You can get a pole that is very useable up to 11m for hardly anything. With these cheaper ones, in almost all cases, I found a rule of thumb is that if it's 13m, you will need to discard one section and probably two for it to be easy and stiff enough to use pleasurably.

As you pay more and more, it's the rigidity in the main that you are paying for, enabling you to use a pole that performs well at full length.

Myself I hardly ever fish over 13m and very rarely over 12. Usually it's much less.

It's very easy to get caught up in the hype and pay too much. After all a lot of people go to a lot of marketing effort to persuade us to do so.

Besides that, people who have spent a lot, can sometimes be very defensive in justifying the expenditure, perpetuating the myth we all need the longest and expensive.

There's an awful lot of fish to be caught between 2 and 11 m.

C

chefster

I could,nt agree more about 2nd hand poles, all three of mine are from ebay. my main pole is a 19m maver with 8 top kits(PROB about 1500 quid new) off ebay 5oo, 2nd pole Map dominater carp 4 top kits 120 quid . Margin pole maver 50 quid.All are in good nick and serve me well...Chefster