Keepnets.....

black rod

Reaction score
I believe the only answer is so they can see what they have caught at the end of the day. I stopped using them years ago except for in matches which was only a handful each year.
There are much better "fish friendly" keepnets on the market nowadays with better materials and safer release systems.
I used to look after a fishery (not manage it I may add) when I lived in the UK and we had our own set of keep nets just for matches purely to lower the risk of diseases coming into our fishery.

terry m

Reaction score
I believe the only answer is so they can see what they have caught at the end of the day..

BlackRod, I think you may be right, but surely the angler gets to 'see' the fish when he lands it, does he really need to re-aquaint himself with every silver fish again at the end of the session?

Is it possible that there is a want to 'be in control' and only release the fish when they choose so to do? Again I am only asking.

I understand the need for nets during matches -although I thiink that things could be done better - but for a pleasure angler to imprison the quarry in a net for the remainder of the session seems incongruous to me.

black rod

Reaction score
Terry.....I didn't even know what incongruous meant , so I had to look it up.
"Not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something; not in place."

I suppose you have got to ask why are you fishing in the first place, is it your natural inbuilt hunting instinct ? obviously not hunting for food, except in some circumstances, but they don't use keepnets they use plastic bags. I honestly can't see what harm it does, but don't really have an answer to why it should be done. except in some cases you can.

If it's the welfare of the fish you are considering, then maybe we shouldn't be catching them in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it stems from when you were a kid and would love keeping fish and seeing what you had at the end of the day. I still like using a keepnet, but not for a 10 hour session and certainly not during weather like this.

sumtime

Reaction score
I don't begrudge anyone using a keepnet as long as they use a bit of common, I walked around my local park today and only the ones without sense had their keepnets in the water, it was very warm and the whole lake covered in green algae.