Keepnets.....

Bluenose

Reaction score
They sometime take pleasure in seeing their catch at the end of the day!

Sometimes it's better to keep the fish in a keepnet rather than release them back into the same swim you are fishing.

C

chefster

Why do pleasure anglers need keepnets?

Just asking like.

Some waters allow keepnets for pleasure anglers,and some pleasure anglers also fish odd matches,and its required to split silvers and carp,i only put this thread on for info,if anyone was interested.....:rolleyes:

C

chefster

Why shouldn't they? If it's ok more match anglers to use them, surely it's ok for anyone else to?

Thats right as long as people are responsible when using them,thats why i would always suggest getting two nets.When fishing sometimes the worst thing you can do is let a bream or skimmer go straight back from where you caught it,it can be the kiss of death.......

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats right as long as people are responsible when using them,thats why i would always suggest getting two nets.When fishing sometimes the worst thing you can do is let a bream or skimmer go straight back from where you caught it,it can be the kiss of death.......

And putting bream in a keepnet can be the kiss of death for them as a ex competition seretary I know this to be a fact bream in particular suffer in nets and the more in the net the more they suffer.

C

chefster

And putting bream in a keepnet can be the kiss of death for them as a ex competition seretary I know this to be a fact bream in particular suffer in nets and the more in the net the more they suffer.

Well i,ve been fishing matches and pleasure for over 40 years and i,ve never experienced that,as long as people are responsible and dont cram fish in,and dont use them needlessly in the hot weather then its ok.Anyway i dont want to be dragged into debates about it,as i said i only put this thread on for info,so why dont you start a thread about the "Keepnet Debate"

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well i,ve been fishing matches and pleasure for over 40 years and i,ve never experienced that,as long as people are responsible and dont cram fish in,and dont use them needlessly in the hot weather then its ok.Anyway i dont want to be dragged into debates about it,as i said i only put this thread on for info,so why dont you start a thread about the "Keepnet Debate"

Okay just one thing why do you think so many fisheries are stocked with carp and we will leave it at that.

C

chefster

Okay just one thing why do you think so many fisheries are stocked with carp and we will leave it at that.

Thats funny because most commercials these days are mixed fisheries ,and dont allow keepnets except in matches and then insist on limits per keepnet,you want to stop thinking about little farm ponds and get with the programme......

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats funny because most commercials these days are mixed fisheries ,and dont allow keepnets except in matches and then insist on limits per keepnet,you want to stop thinking about little farm ponds and get with the programme......

And what percentage of bream are stocked and how long do the few that are stocked last ask any fishery manager what fish has the highest mortality rate in the fishery if it contains bream it is a known fact that the bream will be tops by some margine.

B

binka

I rarely use a keepnet for pleasure fishing these days and if I do i'm very wary of the length of time, no more than five hours but I have to say that there's a great feeling of satsfaction after a good session on the silvers and seeing them all together for your hard work before release.

I usually swim them down the net and rest it on an unhooking mat for a picture before swimming them out and haven't had any problems.

KN_zpsf078b663.jpg

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score

The primary reason for stocking carp is quite simple; it's what the majority of paying customers want to catch.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

And what percentage of bream are stocked and how long do the few that are stocked last ask any fishery manager what fish has the highest mortality rate in the fishery if it contains bream it is a known fact that the bream will be tops by some margine.

And what are your facts based on?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The primary reason for stocking carp is quite simple; it's what the majority of paying customers want to catch.

I beg to differ it is because they can sustain repeat catching more than any other fish and they fight and pull your string so most fishery owners and anglers are happy.

C

chefster

That was probably right about ten years ago,but more anglers seem to be going back down the silver fish or mixed bag route now.I think the majority are sick of just catching carp even in matches,so most of the commercials have a good healthy stocking of bream,skimmers,roach,tench,barbel etc,which is obviously a good thing at this time of year when carp shut up shop or venues become very "peggy"..........

cg74

Reaction score
I beg to differ it is because they can sustain repeat catching more than any other fish and they fight and pull your string so most fishery owners and anglers are happy.

You beg to differ on what? You've effectively agreed with what I wrote:
"it's what the majority of paying customers want to catch."
" so most fishery owners and anglers are happy."

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

That was probably right about ten years ago,but more anglers seem to be going back down the silver fish or mixed bag route now.I think the majority are sick of just catching carp even in matches,so most of the commercials have a good healthy stocking of bream,skimmers,roach,tench,barbel etc,which is obviously a good thing at this time of year when carp shut up shop or venues become very "peggy"..........

I agree that many commercial fisheries are now stocking silvers to meet a changing market but predominantly they do still have carp present.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

And what are your facts based on?

Being a fishery manager and fishery consultant for over thirty years.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats funny your expertise and knowledge of everything was based on being a club secretary a few posts ago!!!:wh

Go back and read the post again and you will not look a fool look before you leap sunshine get it right then come back by all means.:wh