Time for a new pole

dalesman

Reaction score
I have resisted splashing out on a pole for a couple years, because of my love of running water. But due to injury it time to give the commie's and ponds ago. Last fished a pole thirty odd years ago when they were measured in feet not metres.

What do I look for, I will be fishing the Oaks and Woodlands in the Thirsk and Sessay area of North Yorks..... maybe step back into the match scene.

C

chefster

I have resisted splashing out on a pole for a couple years, because of my love of running water. But due to injury it time to give the commie's and ponds ago. Last fished a pole thirty odd years ago when they were measured in feet not metres.

What do I look for, I will be fishing the Oaks and Woodlands in the Thirsk and Sessay area of North Yorks..... maybe step back into the match scene.
Hello mate,first thing you have to do is work out how much you,re budget is ,then work out what distances you will need to fish,then have a look around,decide whether you want new or s/hand and go from there.......

dalesman

Reaction score
Hello mate,first thing you have to do is work out how much you,re budget is ,then work out what distances you will need to fish,then have a look around,decide whether you want new or s/hand and go from there.......

Got a budget of 1/2k maybe a bit more and that includes a roller but do I need 16metres

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You probably won't need over 13 metres. Shimano do the Catana for £199 and the Technium for £299. Daiwa have the XR1 at 11m for £199 and XR1+at 13m for £299 and Maver have the Apocalypse and Jurassic for £250-£299. I wouldn't really bother looking outside these 3 brands as spares can be harder to get for, say, Middy and others if you get a breakage or want another top kit or a no4.

Edit: crossed posts. Now I know your budget the possibilities multiply but I'd still stick to Shimano, Daiwa or Maver. There are some great deals on Mavers at the moment with extra free easy-flow kits if you buy before July.

Check out NWAC in Hindley, Wigan for great deals online.

Last edited:
C

chefster

Got a budget of 1/2k maybe a bit more and that includes a roller but do I need 16metres
If you,ve got 500 quid you,d probably be better off buying 2nd hand because you cant buy a decent 16m pole for that new:)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you really want to get back into match fishing, you are probably going to need 16m. I only pleasure fish so 13m is more than enough for me. Maver Medusa XM is 14.5m and £450.

Really all depends on whether you can use 16m productively. Nightmare in anything like a cross-breeze.

C

chefster

You can pick-up a maver,pro 201,251,old medusa,or daiwa speccy,garbolino 796 or similar s/hand for3oo-500 quid just make sure you get a few spare kits with it and it is,nt to bad condition,cheers Gaz:)

---------- Post added at 13:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

I`m pretty sure that budget is 1k-2k.
Well if it is-the sky,s the limit-2nd hand Airity or Maver elite!!!!!:D:D:D:D

dalesman

Reaction score
So got idea of what to go for, but what elastic should I use hollow or solid.

Watched the lads on Fishamania today on the Oaks and most had pulla rigs, worth investing in???.

Last edited:
C

chefster

Watched the lads on Fishamania today on the Oaks and most had pulla rigs, worth investing in???.

Just out of interest was you,re budget 1-2k or 1/2 k? I have 14 top kit for my 2 maver poles all with Daiwa hydro and side pullers,Hydro is very expensive initially but lasts ten times longer than all other elastics,but opinions vary greatly:)

dalesman

Reaction score
Just out of interest was you,re budget 1-2k or 1/2 k? I have 14 top kit for my 2 maver poles all with Daiwa hydro and side pullers,Hydro is very expensive initially but lasts ten times longer than all other elastics,but opinions vary greatly:)

£500 for starters

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Can you clear up the confusion on your 1/2k - is it £500 or 1 to 2 grand?

I have puller bungs in my top kits and they came in really useful on Wednesday when I hooked a 10lb lump on white Hydro and had to shorten my elastic a lot to get it in the net.

As I previously said, Maver are doing deals where they will give you extra easy-flow (side-puller) top kits if you buy one of their named poles for £499+ before the end of July. Prominent adverts for the deal in Angling Times.

Edit: Crossed post again! Check out the Maver Redemption deal (£499) for good spares and side-pullers. I use Daiwa Hydrolastic, hollow, liquid filled. Best elastic around (IMHO).

Last edited:

dalesman

Reaction score
Can you clear up the confusion on your 1/2k - is it £500 or 1 to 2 grand?

I have puller bungs in my top kits and they came in really useful on Wednesday when I hooked a 10lb lump on white Hydro and had to shorten my elastic a lot to get it in the net.

As I previously said, Maver are doing deals where they will give you extra easy-flow (side-puller) top kits if you buy one of their named poles for £499+ before the end of July. Prominent adverts for the deal in Angling Times.

Edit: Crossed post again! Check out the Maver Redemption deal (£499) for good spares and side-pullers. I use Daiwa Hydrolastic, hollow, liquid filled. Best elastic around (IMHO).

Jack.

Budget started at £500

C

chefster

Hollow elastics have more stretch than solids,solids tend to be better for snag fishing or near features,hollows allow you to fish lighter.You can use puller bungs or side pullers with either.Also with pullers it means you can land fish on top kits rather than on top4,s and 5,s,which is when you can break you,re pole.Go and ask some of the top boys at Oaks(after the match) and find out some varied opinions.My personal preference is hydro,because its sizes are multi tasking and it lasts for so long...Cheers Gaz

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Jeez chef, that's some outlay! I found a seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback who does Hydro for £12.55 and free postage.

I am currently looking for a new one with a budget of £500 and will probably go for Maver Medusa XS 13m from NWAC. Deal includes match kit, 3 power kits with easy-flow pullers, bungs, beads, cupping kit, short extension and spare no4 section. Apparently they bought up the whole consignment of poles meant for the continent (13m length limit in matches there?)

The only other one I considered was a Daiwa SR2 but the kit offer on the Maver is much better.

C

chefster

Jeez chef, that's some outlay! I found a seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback who does Hydro for £12.55 and free postage.

I am currently looking for a new one with a budget of £500 and will probably go for Maver Medusa XS 13m from NWAC. Deal includes match kit, 3 power kits with easy-flow pullers, bungs, beads, cupping kit, short extension and spare no4 section. Apparently they bought up the whole consignment of poles meant for the continent (13m length limit in matches there?)

The only other one I considered was a Daiwa SR2 but the kit offer on the Maver is much better.

It is initially a big outlay,but when you,re spending a lot of money on a pole,you,ve got to feel confident in you,re elastic,i,ve used every elastic on the market and always come back to hydro.The pink is the best winter elastic i,ve ever used,you know about the white,which for me is the most used,the grey is great for up in the water fishing,the black stops most "normal"size fish in their tracks,and the red is "whopper-stopper".I do use solids in my margin pole,which are Middy-22-24,18-20,16-18.Hydro lasts for at least a season,sometimes longer,against normal hollows ,of probably a couple of months tops!That pole sounds like a good deal that you,re getting,let us know how you get on!!...Havin said all that about hydro-a lot of the top boys all swear by solids,and its cost effective,so opinions do vary a lot....cheers Gaz

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is initially a big outlay,but when you,re spending a lot of money on a pole,you,ve got to feel confident in you,re elastic,i,ve used every elastic on the market and always come back to hydro.The pink is the best winter elastic i,ve ever used,you know about the white,which for me is the most used,the grey is great for up in the water fishing,the black stops most "normal"size fish in their tracks,and the red is "whopper-stopper".I do use solids in my margin pole,which are Middy-22-24,18-20,16-18.Hydro lasts for at least a season,sometimes longer,against normal hollows ,of probably a couple of months tops!That pole sounds like a good deal that you,re getting,let us know how you get on!!...Havin said all that about hydro-a lot of the top boys all swear by solids,and its cost effective,so opinions do vary a lot....cheers Gaz

White will be my first choice with grey as a backup in case of lumps appearing. If you want the ID of the eBay guy who does the Hydro at £12.55 it's tackle-1.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
New pole purchased. Maver Medusa SX 13m with the aforementioned short extension, cupping kit, match top 3, 3 power top 2's with ceramic easy-flow side-puller slots, spare No 4, protective tubes, a good holdall and a couple of 90 minute DVDs.

Very good weight for 13m (around 880g) and VERY stiff - £499

The original Medusa was 16m, the present one (XM) is 14.5m and this SX was a consignment made for the continent where the pole limit in matches is 13m.

North West Angling Centre in Hindley, Wigan have bought the whole consignment so they won't last forever.

I've been researching a new pole for a while now and the kit spec is better than any other £500 pole on the market. The spare No. 4 section is a great idea.

I was hoping to get out with it today but Hurricane Bo11ocks has put paid to that!

C

chefster

Nice one Jack!bet you cant wait to use it-My back-up pole is the medusa XM,14.5m,and one of the butt sections off my 401 fits up it to take it to 16m,i,ve been using it a lot lately,with the wind so bad and i love it ,its a good strong pole and great with the puller kits!! Good luck,get out and use it!!:D:D:D