Paste Fishing-the most frustrating method?

C

chefster

As you can guess i suffered a very frustrating match today missing endless bites and foulhooking and losing so many fish,it drove me to the point of insanity!! Weighed in a very poor 22lb,... 62lb- 1st, 61 lb - 2nd, 49 lb - 3rd...Drew peg 14 on Spring pools big lake, probably the deepest area on the lake, there was no shortage of fish in the peg,extracting them was the problem!! Margins never produced all day, so it was open water at 9-11 m. Fished just overdepth, and dead depth moved the shot about but still could,nt hit bites,came off the feed ,stuck it right in the bubbles, still liners and foulhookers. I used a size 10/ 12 hook to 0.15mm line with soft paste.......Anyone else suffered these problems with paste?..Gaz

tonybull

Reaction score
Yes mate and you have to make a decision to change tactics quick.

I had the same problem the other day and the majority of the bubbles were coming from skimmers turning over the silt.

Normally when the carp are having it they suck the paste straight in and bury the float or lift it up.

I started using the paste to cock the float so when its off the float lays down.

But paste fishing can be frustrating at longer distances when skimmers are present. Better off fishing a harder bait, so not shipping in and out to often wasting time.

C

chefster

Yes mate and you have to make a decision to change tactics quick.

I had the same problem the other day and the majority of the bubbles were coming from skimmers turning over the silt.

Normally when the carp are having it they suck the paste straight in and bury the float or lift it up.

I started using the paste to cock the float so when its off the float lays down.

But paste fishing can be frustrating at longer distances when skimmers are present. Better off fishing a harder bait, so not shipping in and out to often wasting time.

Agreed mate,i should have sacked the paste off,but theres no skimmers at all in this venue,but there is roach... i was hooking carp, playing them and losing them, and coming back with scales on the hook,so i would think that carp were responsible for the "fizz", 15 mins from end i,d got no paste left on the tray,so i put on a 6mm betaine expander,the float buried and stayed under- carp,quickly shipped back out-float buried- carp, went back out -same again landed fish on whistle...3 carp last 15 mins - i was kicking myself for not trying it sooner!!! but thats another lesson learned the hard way...cheers Gaz

tonybull

Reaction score
That's the thing Gaz, if the anglers either side are catching early you have to get in the action and I reckon after about say 15 mins you gotta change tactics otherwise you don't get to many opportunities to catch up.

I fish against some good steady anglers, and know that if I'm gonna frame or win a section or win lake, I need a good draw then have to keep working the swim.

But making the right decisions at the right times is the hardest thing in a match.

Paste is deadly when you get it right and ideally better off fishing it close in where you can bait up ship out and feed alot quicker, but when the tails are up in the margins I leave it alone, because its so tempting to give it another 5 minutes and so on :D and they still won't have it.