When good advice goes bad...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You spend the week planning your day at x venue. Tie rigs, hooklinks, pack appropriate reels, rods and topkits.
You get there and after an hour or so you're struggling.
Along comes local and after asking how it's going advises you to change to this or that. You spend ages changing tack, don't set it up right as time is running out and you mess it all up.
You drive home and stew all the way, all evening kicking yourself up the jacksy, can't sleep.... Aaaaaaaahhhhhh! Grrrrrrrrrrrr! To$$er!
Why did I not just stick to my original plan:eek:mg:

C

chefster

The thing i find hard is going to a venue i,ve never fished before,you try and get some info(maybe you can get some -if you,re lucky)You think about baits and try to cover all bases-and end up with so many baits and rigs,set-ups,ie P/W ,method ,pole shallow, deck, margins,that you,ve totally beat yourself before you start...and like you say Simon go home,cant sleep,bad mood etc....then got to wait all week to do it again.....and hopefully get it right:eek::eek::eek:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I can completely understand that, Gaz - I started out match fishing but it's just about the enjoyment now.

I can understand that competetitive element though, I used to love match fishing canals - miss it, if I'm honest. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not good enough or old enough to relax when I'm fishing.....

Me neither...and I never was. If Plan B fails I'm normally struggling.

In my [not very serious] match days only once did Plan C ever work. It did so spectacularly but I never kidded myself it was anything other than a spawny one-off.

C

chefster

I can completely understand that, Gaz - I started out match fishing but it's just about the enjoyment now.

I can understand that competetitive element though, I used to love match fishing canals - miss it, if I'm honest. :)

It would be nice to have a happy medium of both match and pleasure sessions-unfortunately ,work interferes with that so it has to be one or the other,i always fish a club match with the veterens on thursdays,small ,friendly club- breakfast,banter and not too much pressure. But the opens are a different kettle of fish .I,m trying to stick to a few venues ,that i can become familier with to cut down on a lot of the guesswork,then move onto a few more...The circuit i,m fishing on this year is all new territory to me,but luckily i have a fantastic fishing partner "Bad H"-Brian Hodgetts-Who not only knows all the venues, and is a brilliant thinking angler ,but has helped me tremendously learning the venues..Gaz

black rod

Reaction score
I've found that you do all the best preparation in the world, have all the right gear, but if you don't draw the right peg on the day forget it. That's the problem I used to have with match fishing, you look forward to it all week, drive miles, spend a fortune on bait only to draw a bad peg.
That's why I really only pleasure fish now, I'm retired so I have all the time in the world to choose where and when I want to go fishing, if I don't catch then there is always another day.
I have joined a newly formed "carp club" and in 4 outings I have blanked all 4 times, luckily they only fish once a month so I have still been able to maintain my sanity.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Along comes local and after asking how it's going advises you to change to this or that.

My view is that usually I am well prepared with a back-up plan as well as my main target approach.

If both of those fail and you get the local "expert" giving advice then I would typically ask him when he won the last match on this venue . . . . . . . ?

On paper it is really easy to fish and win a match, the trouble is that we don't fish on paper but in water . . . . . . . . . .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Peter.

If plan A isn't working..................do something ridiculous. Like a lump of flake on a size 4 hook and tell yourself you are after the big stuff ( you get the idea:cool:)

After losing, congratulate yourself for being "different" from the crowd.:;):wh

C

chefster

I drew a peg at Lychgate fishery today-peg 2 -a flyer-if you can get the fish out,advice at the draw was fish a margin pole,whopper elastic etc ,fish to the tree on you,re left-ok that sounds simple ,well when i got to my peg i realised that i did,nt have a 14m margin pole!!!:eek::eek:-Cos that how far away the tree was!!!!, great advice ,cheers lads:eek::eek: Gaz,So i had to go to plan B,which was to lose every other fish i hooked in said tree !!:eek::eek: