your top 5 winter league tips please

brummiephil

Reaction score
I am about to start only my second winter league series. what would your top five tips be for a winter league fished on pools?

C

chefster

Phil ,i presume you are looking for tips for cold weather fishing,1- Keep things neat and tidy -feeding wise,tiny amounts accurately fed via a tosspot. 2-Fine down you,re terminal tackle ,where appropriate-finer gauge hooks,smaller diameter lines etc-if carp are about ,though,dont go to light,as if you do hook one -you want to get it out. 3-Take bread-its one of the best winter baits,either on the bomb or dobbed at half depth against reeds,sedges,stick-ups etc . 4- Micro pellets-soak them until they swell and expand and use them on the hook,in 1,s or 2,s,these can get you out of jail on hard days.5- Wrap up warm and be comfortable,and have hot drinks with you......And 6-catch some fish and dont let you,re team down,even if you have to revert to scratching,get some points in the net,a few points can make a difference overall,7- Dont assume in cold weather fish will be on the bottom,they can sometimes be sitting at midwater ,or shallow,where the water might be warmer. 8- Dont panic if you,re not catching,sometimes you will get a window where bites come,and it can be late in the match as the light fades,I dont know if this is the sort of thing you,re looking for ,but if others add theirs as well,you should have a lot of tips -Good luck-you would,nt catch me fishing winter leagues anymore,cheers then Gaz

Last edited:

stevejay

Reaction score
Had some great times fishing the Somerset League many moons ago. My advice, well the comments above are all true. I would add developing a close knit team with a clear plan, but with everyone having the remit and confidence to do something different if needed (I.e. if they are blanking!).

We had a great team spirit, would practice between matches, all have a walk and share what was working etc then have a team meeting later in the week to finalise a team plan, bait requirements, travel logistics etc.

On the day, keep focused, every bite can be crucial. Watch what is going on around you but don't get put off or distracted if your neighbour catches....as has been said small weights can a times bring good points. As far as methods etc are concerned much depends on the type of venues you are on. Finer tackle and sparse feeding a general rule of thumb but if you are fishing commercials it may be less of a struggle than on drains, canals and rivers which was our venues!

C

chefster

Had some great times fishing the Somerset League many moons ago. My advice, well the comments above are all true. I would add developing a close knit team with a clear plan, but with everyone having the remit and confidence to do something different if needed (I.e. if they are blanking!).

We had a great team spirit, would practice between matches, all have a walk and share what was working etc then have a team meeting later in the week to finalise a team plan, bait requirements, travel logistics etc.

Thats very sound advice Phil,team fishing is not really my strong point,i gave it up years ago,i can only advise on tactics for an individual......

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Probably a bit in the past nowadays but one thing in the Winter league we always used to do was to ensure, in advance, that at least one team member brought ice breaking equipment should that be necessary....

Good luck with it, like Gaz, my days of getting up at 3.30am on a sunday morning for 3oz of gudgeon and fourth in section of 12 are long gone.....:)