match pole advice needed plz guys

brummiephil

Reaction score
i am thinking of investing in a pole, 14.5m or 16m . what package should i be looking in regards to top sections match ? power? a mixture?
how many does the average angler set up for each match?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends on the venues you are fishing and the types/sizes of the fish encountered. You can make do with two or three if you really, really have to.
Top match types often have loads. However, they may well have several top kits with the same elastics set up and ready with identical rigs. I can usually make three or four cover all my pleasure fishing needs and it wouldn't be any different if I dipped my toe back into match fishing.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Think you can get a Maver Medusa XM 14.5m with a match top 3 and three power kits, cupping kit, half-extension, holdall etc. Power kits have Easy Flow slots for pullers and the whole pole is light (890g @ 13m) and very stiff.

I have the 13m SX version and am really delighted with it.

C

chefster

I know the type of fishing you do,what type of budget you looking at mate? gaz The MAP 501 is a very popular choice at the moment,Daiwa tdxr 4 or 5,Maver Elite carp,or Elite All-round,you,ll need at least 6 top kits,plus cupping kit,you are better off getting over to Fosters,and giving some a little waggle,it does,nt really give you a true idea of strength ,reliablity on the bank etc,but you will get an idea of which one(s) you like,and the lads there will be very helpful,other than that try Banks and Burr@Rugby and ask keith to run you through whats available in you,re price range.Dont listen to people who dont match fish telling you that you only need a couple of top kits cos you will need more ,i,ve got 10 for my Elite and its still not enough!,cheers again Gaz,might see you later at TBF

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The best I have seen, and handled, are the Sensas top end of their range, the 700 and 800 series.

Their flagship poles typically come with around 5 or 6 spare top sections being a mix of "power" and "match"

If I were to buy a new pole these days it would be a real toss-up between the Airity and a top of the range Sensas pole.

Its really a case of how much you wish to pay and where you willbe using it the most.

tonybull

Reaction score
One of the best all round poles in the mid price range is the Daiwa G20.

Up to 13m it matches the Airity, then starts to go a bit at 14.5m and but is still manageable at 16m.

If you want to fish 13m comfortable then you need an half decent 16m pole imo

C

chefster

One of the best all round poles in the mid price range is the Daiwa G20.

Up to 13m it matches the Airity, then starts to go a bit at 14.5m and but is still manageable at 16m.

If you want to fish 13m comfortable then you need an half decent 16m pole imo

Dont forget to tell him that Daiwa,s keep coming apart ,though Tony:eek::eek::D:D:D:D

tonybull

Reaction score
Dont forget to tell him that Daiwa,s keep coming apart ,though Tony:eek::eek::D:D:D:D

lol

Gaz

Think its the way people ship them on the rollers, bounces them about to much :D

Seen a couple people lose top kits of the Crackolino poles recently, they worked loose, that was mean't to say Garbolino :D

Heard Maver can suffer from weak walls around the joints :D:eek:mg:

C

chefster

lol

Gaz

Think its the way people ship them on the rollers, bounces them about to much :D

Seen a couple people lose top kits of the Crackolino poles recently, they worked loose, that was mean't to say Garbolino :D

Heard Maver can suffer from weak walls around the joints :D:eek:mg:

Ha!,i,ve only ever broken 1 maver joint in my life ,and that was a no4-pre-puller days!!!Personally i am in love with Maver poles,but its each to their own i guess,there is a guy singing the praises of Sensas poles on another thread,but i think they are the worst poles going!:D

C

chefster

Seriously though Phil ,as Tony says the G20 is an excellent pole(as i,m sure Simon-Peter Crabtree,will testify to) 2 of my friends have got them as well-If you,re budget will allow-you probably could,nt get a better pole for the money,cheers mate,happy hunting,Gaz:D:D

8721markc

Reaction score
depends on the budget, i have a preston gis 9 for sale with spare no 4, 2 power tops two pulla kits a cupping kit and preston comp 10 tube hold hall with tubes if your interested, but i fish pulla kits ranging from 10 - 16 and 17 and 18 on powers, 3 tops with each that way i can cover all situations the 10s are set light to handle silvers with the pulla as a back up for any bigger fish in the swim. i dont fish many venus for the smaller silvers and have been fine. rgds