pole top kits

brummiephil

Reaction score
I know this may sound dumb but.....

when would you use a power kit and when would you use a match kit?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this may sound dumb but.....

when would you use a power kit and when would you use a match kit?

Not a dumb question at all Phil.

A match top kit would be used on those venues that are populated with mainly small "silver" fish, Roach, Rudd, Dace etc.,

A power top kit is more suitable for those venues where Carp, Bream and Tench are more prevalent.

It folows then that you will use a much thinner elastic in a match top kit than you would for the power kits as you would bump a lot of bites from small fish with too strong an elastic.

Hope this helps.

C

chefster

Most people take out the no 1(tip section) from the match kits,and just use them as top 2,s,only it is advisable not to put really strong bungee elastic through them as they are made of lighter carbon than a power kit (hence they weigh less,and dont upset the balance of the pole)probably up to white hydro/10 solid etc....the reason for this is when you cut back you,re power kits ,you do it to match the top 3 (with no 1 removed)....Unless you buy one of the new breed of poles ie MAP 01 series,Browning Z series,etc which require no cutting back and are pre-bushed to optimum length,Chefster:D

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
A match kit is generally for lighter elastics, usually up to say no12.
A power kit is for elastics up to no18 or no20.

This does vary sometimes between manufacturers but it's an average example.

Margin Pole Top Kits deliberately bend to allow you to put more power in to playing the fish away from snags.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some of the newer hollow and hydro elastics are a bit thicker than solid but they stretch forever so, if you are deliberately fishing for silvers and bream and you hook a lump you have a better chance of getting it out. Of course, having a side-puller greatly improves your chances. I am shortly going to elasticate a Match top 3 for the winter and, although I really like Daiwa Hydro there are other hollow elastics on the market at half the price, Preston, J Range and a new Middy Hi-Viz Shock Core. Oh, and the new Daiwa Hydro Yellow, which is lighter than pink and blue.

Interestingly Middy specify an optimum fish-weight range for their hollow elastics - the green being for fish up to 3lb.

tonybull

Reaction score
Daiwa match kits are rated to take a 16 elastic and the power kits are rated take a 20 + elastic.

But also comes down to how to you use the pole.

When the race is on for 200lb+ weights into 500lb bracket I know people who use the power kits with red hydro to get the fish in quick.

There was an article in one of the weekly mags just recently when a guy took 500lb + in a match in 5 hours at Arran's fishery in Essex.