New to Match Fishing

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Hello Eveyone,

I have been fishing for around 4 years now on the River Ribble for Barbel but in the past season i have just seemed to loose interest and wanting to try a different kind of fishing so i decided to have a go at Match fishing. I've had a look around this forum and watched some videos on Youtube and also been to my local tackle shop.

However i would like some more opinions before i take the plunge and buy my new tackle.

I've got my venues in mind, I'm planning on going to a verity of fisheries in the north west region around the Blackpool area such as Whitmore and others on the following link ( Fisheries - ��������Micks Match Angle ) all of the ones ive looked at seem to be small to medium in size.

What tackle would you suggest for my need ? Ive seen most people have a Pole, feeder rod and float rod. As im just starting i might just get a Margin rod, will this be sufficient ?

What rods, reels and seatbox would you suggest ?

Thanks, Alex

C

chefster

How much have you got to spend,unless you,ve got unlimited budget,you,re going to have to buy a bit at a time..If you want to kit yourself out in one go-look on Ebay,for complete used match fishing job lots,there are one or two regular sellers on there who must buy from people who are giving up,there are 5 lots on there at the moment,probably kit yourself out for under a grand..these are complete set-ups,ie pole,rods,reels,box,luggage,rollers, nets,terminal gear etc..otherwise buying bits and pieces is very fragmented,and you will always feel like you have,nt got what you need...Chef

Last edited:

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, ive not got unlimited funds however ive got the money from my Barbel tackle i sold, ive got around £500 atm, what would you suggest buying first ? at the moment im not to botherd about the pole. Thanks Alex

C

chefster

Its hard to say Alex cos a good box is £2-300,2 rods and 2 reels £2-300 thats budget gone....If i were you i would look at buying secondhand ,you will get a lot better gear,rather than buying cheap budget rubbish thats going to let you down and be replaced,,,,,You will need a pole to compete in the match fishing world ,but you can get a good 2nd hand 13-14.5 for a couple of hundred.....box,feeder rod and reel,pellet waggler rod and reel,2x keepnets,landing net and pole,brolly,rod holdall,carryall,seatbox attatchments,pole roller(s),Trolley,terminal gear(£200),bait tubs,groundbait bowl(s),Gaz

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Ok Thankyou, what brands would you suggest ? Daiwa, Preston innovations and shimano for the reels ? thanks Alex

C

chefster

Ok Thankyou, what brands would you suggest ? Daiwa, Preston innovations and shimano for the reels ? thanks Alex

If you are buying 2nd hand ,i dont think you can be too choosy on brands,just go for the best quality at the best prices..Personally i have always gone for Maver poles,Daiwa reels, and luggage,Maver,daiwa,drennan rods,,,everything i,ve ever bought from Preston has been ****!!-but thats my personal experience,good luck Alex,gaz

tonybull

Reaction score
Like GAz said, buying a used kit would be your better bet.

But your need a bit more money imo

In the past Ive seen half decent match kits that would do you for round about £750