Clash of the Titans (Toft-Thurs)

C

chefster

Last match at Toft carp lake on thurs-Before it closes for the winter for the shooting season....This one is going to be a bit special -cos booked on are Kevin (the legend)Folwell(just back from the England Vets trials) and Kieth(Shallowman) Haynes, arguably two of the finest match anglers in the Warks/Northants area, it almost makes me not want to fish and just watch them....Maybe you guys have,nt heard of them,maybe some have, but these two could give any match angler in the country a run for their money..Whatever happens i,m sure everyone else will be fishing for 3rd place,as Tofts is not peggy and any peg could win with a good angler on it...As for Me ,i just hope i,m not pegged in between them,cos i dont fancy being "Double Fishcaked!!!":eek::eek::eek:Cheers then Chef

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Best of luck - i love those nicknames , let us know how you get on.

silvers

Reaction score
Chefster - out of interest, how long have you been match fishing?

I don't know Keith, but I did fish in the same team as Kev back in the early 90s. He's always been a very good angler - but there are plenty in Warks and Northants who were a similar level when the match scene was bigger.

In short - it does take a lot of dedication and experience to reach that level. There is no substitute for lots of practice and having an open mind to doing things differently.
I could represent it as an equation (basic ability x (learned knowledge + practice to perfect skills + experience to guide decisions)). You might achieve some or temporary success with some of these, but for consistent success you need all four. The basic ability is the tricky "born with it" or "nature" part that means all of us improve at different rates ..... so the same amount of practice would yield much greater benefits in some people. The other three you have some control over!!

Anyway good luck - you know that you can always learn from them after the match! And the great thing about match fishing is that they might have an off day, make the wrong decisions and be beatable on the day.

C

chefster

Clash of the titans took a bit of a twist today with my mate, Brian"BAD H" Hodgets gatecrashing in..We pegged both sides of one end of the lake,effectively giving 4 end pegs..1 end peg -Keith"shallowman "Haynes-109 lb...2 end peg Bad H-102 lb...3 end peg-kev Folwell- 84lb,..the rest of us struggled,by comparison, for my match,i had 13 carp for 56lb,only managing about 6th....i overfed and missed too many bites....Typical the best 3 anglers all drew end pegs!!! as if they needed the help:rolleyes::rolleyes:It was a good turnout for the last match at Tofts ,until it re-opens in March ,15 fished,including all the Lychgate Mafia,My next match is on saturday at Spring Pools@Rugby,draw 10am,fish 11-4:D,Cheers Chef

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
good luck tomorrow Chefster!

I have to smile ..... you struggled for 56lb .... I live in a different world where my best match weight is 51 pounds (chub in 3 hours on the Warks Avon).

:)

C

chefster

good luck tomorrow Chefster!

I have to smile ..... you struggled for 56lb .... I live in a different world where my best match weight is 51 pounds (chub in 3 hours on the Warks Avon).

:)

Yes ,but its more of an achievement to catch 51lb of Chub on the Avon in 3 hours:D:D